PDA

View Full Version : Need help with wf fighter/rogue

Petertje Segers
2011-06-11, 06:48 AM
Hey everybody,

Since the first in 3 years I'm am finally able to participate in a D&D campain.
( and I know my english sucks..:smallfrown:)
Because the other party members are playing strange/almost cheese and "evil" characters (A Goliath monk, raptoren cleric, Tri-keen soulknife), I was planning om playing a warforged multiclass fighter/rouge.

This would fit very nice in our campain setting(metropool city controlled by thief-guilds) and I always wanted to play something like HK-47 (KOTOR):smallbiggrin:.

The thing is I don't know wich feats I should take and how I should take levels to make this idea work.

I was planning on starting with fighrter and taking the feats "Mithrall body" and "Overload metabolism"( self healing FTW)

After level 1 I don't know how I should build this furter.... I hope you can give me some nice advice/tips on how to build and play this character.

Greenish
2011-06-11, 06:53 AM
Start with rogue for more skill points. After that, well, what do you want the character to do?

(Also, if monks and soulknives are considered "almost cheese", well‚)

Gardener
2011-06-11, 06:57 AM
Take a look at the Swashbuckler in Complete Warrior, and particularly the feat Daring Outlaw. Rogue 3/Swashbuckler 17 with Daring Outlaw is a fairly good "sneaky fighter" setup.

Mithral Body is nice, but healing only costs a little gold - don't go burning feats or class features on something that a Wand of Cure Light Wounds can cover for 750 gp.

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-11, 07:03 AM
Take a look at the Swashbuckler in Complete Warrior, and particularly the feat Daring Outlaw. Rogue 3/Swashbuckler 17 with Daring Outlaw is a fairly good "sneaky fighter" setup.

Mithral Body is nice, but healing only costs a little gold - don't go burning feats or class features on something that a Wand of Cure Light Wounds Lesser Vigor can cover for 750 gp.

Fixed that for you. The healing is better in so many ways.

Greenish
2011-06-11, 07:04 AM
You're starting at level 4+, so you could have rogue 3/fighter 1, for 2d6 SA, Penetrating Strike (Dungeonscape or Expedition to Castle Ravenloft), Evasion and a single fighter bonus feat.

You could also have some other funny stuff. Say, Hit and Run Tactics fighter ACF (Drow of the Underdark) that trades heavy armour and tower shield proficiencies (which you don't need) for dex to damage vs. flat-footed and +2 initiative, and/or exoticist fighter (Dragon Magazine #310) that trades martial weapon proficiencies for 4 exotic weapon proficiencies.

With Sneak Attack, you might also want Jaws of Death and Second Slam (from Races of Eberron).

Petertje Segers
2011-06-11, 07:05 AM
I was planning in making my character in some sort of creepy sabotage and assassination golem.... so it (warforged aren't he or she)will try to keep a low profile and fight sneaky and dirty.

(for the "almost cheese" in my pervious comment .. my party members are notourious number crunchers so they likely will try to become overpowered)

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-11, 07:08 AM
I was planning in making my character in some sort of creepy sabotage and assassination golem.... so it (warforged aren't he or she)will try to keep a low profile and fight sneaky and dirty.

(for the "almost cheese" in my pervious comment .. my party members are notourious number crunchers so they likely will try to become overpowered)

Optimising monk and soulknife? They will still be fairly mediocre, since those classes usually have their main tricks based on WBL-mancy.

Also, have you considered the Warforged Scout (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebmoh/20050414a)?

Rejakor
2011-06-11, 07:08 AM
If they're using monk and soulknife as a base, good luck.

I've built good characters involving monk, but only as a 1 level dip. And the only playable build for soulknife is a somewhat questionable wis-based soularcher carnivore keeps posting everywhere.

Greenish
2011-06-11, 07:13 AM
Creepy assassination golem, hmm. I'd ask the DM if you can have a spinning sword (Secrets of Sarlona) or kusari-gama (DMG) instead of a bastard sword as the armblade, refluffed as a retractable whip-sword style thingy.

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-11, 07:18 AM
If they're using monk and soulknife as a base, good luck.

I've built good characters involving monk, but only as a 1 level dip. And the only playable build for soulknife is a somewhat questionable wis-based soularcher carnivore keeps posting everywhere.

Monk is a very dippable class. Even the monk handbook warns players not to use more than six levels of it.

Some people have their favourite builds which they use for examples. For instance, I use my Whisper Gnome Wizard/Archivist for a whole load of examples and recommend it a lot to peoples.

Greenish
2011-06-11, 07:20 AM
Monk is a very dippable class. Even the monk handbook warns players not to use more than five levels of it.6th level is when you get the 3rd bonus feat. 5th level doesn't have anything really useful.

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-11, 07:23 AM
6th level is when you get the 3rd bonus feat. 5th level doesn't have anything really useful.

Oops. Typo. Fixed now.

Greenish
2011-06-11, 07:42 AM
Hmm, how about rogue 4/fighter 2/avenging executioner 4/ghost-faced killer 10 for a decent but not too powerful creepy assassin?

Scare the enemies to make them vulnerable to Sudden Strike, then beat them up. Decent skills, good BAB.

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-11, 07:50 AM
Hmm, how about rogue 4/fighter 2/avenging executioner 4/ghost-faced killer 10 for a decent but not too powerful creepy assassin?

Scare the enemies to make them vulnerable to Sudden Strike, then beat them up. Decent skills, good BAB.

*Leaps out of hiding*

'Boo!'

Splortch.

*Tumbles and slashes guards*

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Greenish
2011-06-11, 07:55 AM
Could slap in a level of exotic weapon master and use an armblade with Uncanny Blow granting 2:1 PA returns to it, and use the free hand (with battlefist) to slam, grabbing Second Slam from fighter 2 bonus feat.

Some intimidate optimization might also be sweet. Dreadful Wrath (if you can get it on warforged) allows scaring people while charging or making a full attack, Imperious Command if you need something stronger.

[Edit]: Swapping a fighter level for barbarian would allow for pounce, whirling frenzy and Intimidating Rage.

Petertje Segers
2011-06-11, 08:22 AM
mmmm... Ghost-faced sounds like a good choice for me.

But that wil mean that I must take good charisma, and I was planning on dumping cha.. How can i make up for that besides becoming a dumass or losing battle power??

Greenish
2011-06-11, 08:29 AM
Magic-blooded (or "Spark") template from Dragon Magazine #306 gives you +2 cha, -2 wis for 0 LA. With that, you could have a statline of STR: 14 DEX: 14 CON: 16 INT: 12 WIS: 8 CHA: 14 with 32 point buy.

Otherwise, you'd just have to eat the penalty.

[Edit]: I recommend taking 4 levels of Avenging Executioner (Comp. Scoundrel) before going GFK, so you can use Sudden Strike against shaken enemies. Only loses you one point of BAB, and has two good saves and decent skills.

Petertje Segers
2011-06-11, 08:41 AM
Avenging Executioner is indeed very handy with GFK, but how can I persuade my DM to get this prestige class (my character needs to be "horribly wronged").. I am the guy who probably gets chased by avengers..

Greenish
2011-06-11, 08:42 AM
Avenging Executioner is indeed very handy with GFK, but how can I persuade my DM to get this prestige class (my character needs to be "horribly wronged").. I am the guy who probably gets chased by avengers..Write into your backstory about how you were horribly wronged (which caused you to become a creepy assassin).

Maybe "robocop gone evil" sort of story?

Petertje Segers
2011-06-11, 08:47 AM
mm.. ofcourse.. forgot about background stories.. always fun.....makes me think of the time I played a barb raised by firbolgs.. sadly he was killed by a falling tree:smallfrown:

I think I can come up with some nasty and sad background.. (evil robocop sounds awesome or being dumped by his previous owners or something)