PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good airplane game

super dark33
2011-06-11, 08:14 AM
So i want to know if there is a good multiplayer (if possible) good airplane games.

searched on google, found none.
as my experience with the gitp forums shows: its better to look for stuff here then google.

so anyone knows of any? a 2 months vacation is about to start, and bordeoom will KILL me if i wont get kill it first.

Winthur
2011-06-11, 08:53 AM
Whatever an "airplane" game is supposed to actually mean (I suppose it's about a plane simulator), the one that would fit your idea would be, of course, Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Or if you want to shoot down other planes in multiplayer, find the old, obscure F-A 18 Hornet Korea and I'll be like "wtf, where did you find that game" :smalleek: Double points if anyone wants to play it with you.

super dark33
2011-06-11, 08:57 AM
so you say there arnt any good airplane shootout games?

RS14
2011-06-11, 09:01 AM
What realism level are you going for? Do you want to worry about stalls and prop pitch and mixture and such, or do you want something more arcade-like? (The term you are looking for, btw, is Combat Flight Simulator)

It has been a while since I've played flight sims: IL-2 and its sequels were very good WWII combat sims a few years ago. LOMAC is a good modern combat sim. You might also try Falcon 4.0: Allied Force, which updates Falcon 4.0, a famously detailed F-16 sim.

European Air War is old, but is apparently still around.

You need a joystick, preferably with a hat switch.

Brother Oni
2011-06-11, 09:07 AM
so you say there arnt any good airplane shootout games?

We don't know what you mean by 'airplane shootout' game.

There's flight simulators (MS Combat Flight Simulator (http://www.microsoft.com/games/combatfs3/)), arcade simulators (Ace Combat series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_Combat)), side/top scrolling shoot 'em ups (too many to mention) and all the sub genres thereof.

There's also a couple turn based games which are based on planes shooting each other, but don't fall into any of the categories above.

Listing what platform you want the game for would also be helpful.

warty goblin
2011-06-11, 09:42 AM
There's always DCS: A10-C Warthog. I'm told that it only takes a week or so of dedicated effort to advance to the point where you can contemplate shooting something.

For the somewhat less hardcore, Wings of Prey is decent and WWIIish. I personally prefer Apache Air Assault, which is by the same developer, but that's mostly because I prefer ground attack roles to dog fighting.

RPharazon
2011-06-11, 10:12 AM
IL-2 1946 is probably the best flight combat simulator out there. It can be realistic, or it can be arcadey.

If you're going the realistic route, then Falcon 4.0 or DCS A-10 Warthog are your best bets. Just read the manual and go through the tutorials. It'll take a bit to learn everything.

If you're going the arcadey route, then IL-2 1946 is great, but if you prefer modern planes, then LOMAC is your best bet. If you have a Playstation 2, then I suggest tracking down and buying Ace Combat 4, 5, and 0. If you have an Xbox 360, then Ace Combat 6 is pretty good. Just be warned, the Ace Combat stories are full of internal references and can get a bit corny, but it's all in good fun. Ace Combat 6 has hilariously atrocious cutscene acting, though.

If you want civilian flight simulators, then Flight Simulator X is your best non-realistic bet. It's a good way to learn basic concepts, or to do some instrument "hangar flying". My previous experiences with Flight Simulator 2004 meant that my Private Pilot groundschool was mostly a borefest, except for the weather and formal navigation bits. 2004 or X are both good, and are pretty much the same game, except X is unoptimized (and a computer that runs Crysis at full settings at 120FPS will slow down to maybe 20FPS at FSX's full settings, since FSX doesn't use more than 2GB of RAM, and doesn't really support multiple cores). 2004 is much the same, so don't expect a very very high framerate unless you optimize everything. It's pretty, though.

If you want realistic civilian flight sims, then X-Plane is your best bet. Not as pretty as FSX or FS2004, it's more realistic. It's cheaper than FSX, however, and a lot of customizations for it are free, so long as you don't want an FAA-certified airplane simulation. Interestingly enough, the are (expensive) additions to X-Plane that actually makes it so you can log hours towards a license or towards a career. You just need to pay through the sphincter, and have a certified instructor monitor you.

Drizvolta
2011-06-11, 12:08 PM
Aces High (http://www.hitechcreations.com/) is a WWI & II multiplayer flight combat game. I haven't played it, but it sounds like what you're looking for.

Comet
2011-06-11, 12:13 PM
Snoopy: Flying Ace.