PDA

View Full Version : If pop culture's image of your country was true...

Pages : [1] 2

Asta Kask
2011-06-11, 11:05 AM
...what would your life be like?

I guess that, as a Swede, I would be a chef, dodge polar bears on the highways while driving my Volvo and live my life surrounded by blonde supermodels with enormous breasts who were willing to have sex with anyone at any time.

This is not true...

P.S. People are free to substitute 'state' (or the local equivalent) for country.

LaZodiac
2011-06-11, 11:06 AM
Exactly the same but I'd like hockey, eh.

Serpentine
2011-06-11, 11:07 AM
Terrifying. Vegemite everywhere.

Asta Kask
2011-06-11, 11:09 AM
Terrifying. Vegemite everywhere.

Don't forget it's a 24/7 battle against critters out to kill you.

Orzel
2011-06-11, 11:14 AM
I'd be living the rising hip hop star lifestyle
or the corpse seen in first 5 minutes of Law & Order/CSI NY
or I'd be a thug so far into my Brooklyn Rage and my stomping of someone who stepped on my shoe that dramatic music plays

And Pop culture Me who probably beat Pop culture You up if you aren't from a Pop culture tough area like South Boston.

Moff Chumley
2011-06-11, 11:16 AM
Uh...

I'd be stealing vast quantities of money from my shockingly well-payed parents to fund an outrageous drug addiction, I'd drive a Mercedes, live in a three story house on the bay with a private dock, spend most of my waking hours in hot tubs, and be so achingly liberal that it breaks reality.

...while that describes some of my friends, it hardly portrays me. Stupid Northern California. :smallsigh:

Xsesiv
2011-06-11, 11:17 AM
I'd either be a tea-sipping, umbrella-carrying aristocrat with an RP accent and too much money or a incomprehensible, idiotic, beer-swilling football hooligan with no teeth. I'd have a quiet sense of unfounded self-satisfaction, live off overcooked beef, wear a monocle and shoot passing foxes.

Ranger Mattos
2011-06-11, 11:40 AM
As a Wisconsinite, I'd be riding a cow everywhere and ingesting vast quantities of dairy products and beer.

The second part (about the dairy products) is true at least.

Nix Nihila
2011-06-11, 11:40 AM
Huh. I suppose I'd either be a rural, maple-syrup-elitist hunter who works on a farm and rides horses, OR I'd be a liberal hippie activist who LOVED Ben & Jerry's before it was taken over by corporate scum, and who wants to secede from the United States.

People have strange ideas about Vermont.

WarKitty
2011-06-11, 11:49 AM
I'm...not sure I'd exist.

Fluff & Napalm
2011-06-11, 11:53 AM
Huh. I suppose I'd either be a rural, maple-syrup-elitist hunter who works on a farm and rides horses, OR I'd be a liberal hippie activist who LOVED Ben & Jerry's before it was taken over by corporate scum, and who wants to secede from the United States.

People have strange ideas about Vermont.

Amen to that. Need to work in being a lumberjack and skiing though. I would probably being a flannel wearing lumberjack/farmer who rarely says more than 3 words at a time.

Asta Kask
2011-06-11, 11:55 AM
I'm...not sure I'd exist.

Where are you from?

Castaras
2011-06-11, 12:11 PM
I'd wear a bowler hat and a monocle, and walk around saying things like "I say old chap, that was a spiffing time at the golf course, what?".

Ranger Mattos
2011-06-11, 12:17 PM
I'd wear a bowler hat and a monocle, and walk around saying things like "I say old chap, that was a spiffing time at the golf course, what?".

I believe you mean "wot wot?" :smalltongue:

Castaras
2011-06-11, 12:21 PM
I believe you mean "wot wot?" :smalltongue:

Meh, what is pronounced the same as wot imo. :smalltongue:

Moff Chumley
2011-06-11, 12:25 PM
Nah, "what" has any number of possible inflections and accents. "Wot" can only be used in the context of "I say, wot wot?" :smalltongue:

Solaris
2011-06-11, 12:26 PM

Clearly Michigan has a vastly different image of Canuckistan than the Canucks do.

I believe baby-killing and village-burning would be involved with me.
... Which is only true on the weekends.

ZombyWoof
2011-06-11, 12:30 PM
Lessee... I'd weigh 30 lbs, be 6'5", be a baliillionaire movie star, be tanned beyond recognition, heavily into drugs, and only eat trendily, such as by being a vegan or vegetarian. Also I'd be a pseudo-hippie and pretend to have various strong moral stances on a wide array of topics that I actually know absolutely nothing about.

WarKitty
2011-06-11, 12:31 PM
Where are you from?

Delaware...

Ursus the Grim
2011-06-11, 12:33 PM
Delaware...

Where's that, south of Turkey?

Dienekes
2011-06-11, 12:36 PM
My entire country? Some disgusting and mind-bending hybrid of a cowboy hat wearing, gun toting southerner with an outrageous accent and a posh stiff necked humorless liberal who complains all day about how unfair the world is and yet lives in a large house and has never known a day of hardship in my life. Someday I hope to meet a person that fits this description.

My state, probably a mobster of some sort, or at least in some way politically corrupt.

ORione
2011-06-11, 12:47 PM
I would wear socks with sandals and be addicted to coffee. I would be both a slacker and a geek (well, that part is true at least). And I would be miserable because it would rain all the time.

MoonCat
2011-06-11, 12:47 PM
Oh dear, some type of 'freedom loving', fat obese, ignorant person with all kinds of obnoxious ways I treat other countries.

If I zoom in on Washington, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to exist at all, most of the stereotypes are about the place. I guess I'd be a rain drenched, depressed, coffee drinker who always whines about being eco-friendly. And I'd just like to point out, I don't whine.

@V <high fives>

ORione
2011-06-11, 12:48 PM
Oh dear, some type of 'freedom loving', fat obese, ignorant person with all kinds of obnoxious ways I treat other countries.

If I zoom in on Washington, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to exist at all, most of the stereotypes are about the place. I guess I'd be a rain drenched, depressed, coffee drinker who always whines about being eco-friendly. And I'd just like to point out, I don't whine.

A fellow Washingtonian. *High five*

Razgriez
2011-06-11, 12:55 PM
As a Wisconsinite, I'd be riding a cow everywhere and ingesting vast quantities of dairy products and beer.

The second part (about the dairy products) is true at least.

What, the beer part isn't true? Wisconsin sounds like an awesome place to live just from that! If anything else, it sounds like a nice, simple life with out as much stress as I'm used to.

If you tell me Wisconsin has a Cabella's or Brass Pro Shop... I may have to consider moving there.

Let's see for me, my home state of Maryland, would be that we are elitist Crab fishing/Eating people, and will be a bit snobbish when it comes to eating food that claims to have Chesapeake Bay Crab, and that we put Old Bay seasoning on Everything. And I mean, everything.

There is some truth to this actually. I can't fully explain it, but if you serve us food and you claim it has Chesapeake Bay Crab, we can not only taste whether or not that claim is true, we can also detect whether or not the crab came from Maryland or Virginia. We don't put Old Bay on everything, but we do put it on a far lot more foods than most other people would. Seafood, Burgers, Fries, potato chips. (Which the folks from UTZ have happily obliged our obsession)

And then there are boardwalk style fries... and then vinegar gets added to that equation.

I am however, a bit of an odd ball when it comes to this... I don't like eating just steamed crabs, but I'll eat Crab Soup and stew, and crab/cheese spreads. I don't like cooked sea food. And yet.... I like sushi. I can't explain it. I just can't.
And I'm not a terribly big fan of Old Bay either. I like spicy stuff yes, but... Old Bay for me, is kinda of a "A little bit goes a long way"

SamBurke
2011-06-11, 01:00 PM
Lessee... I'd probably be a cowboy, riding through hordes of cars and using my trusty six shooter to deftly remove the gang members before they could paint graffiti on the saloon. I'd be able to drink more whiskey than Jack Daniel and shoot straighter than a Marine Sniper.

Only the last is true.

Texas. Rocks. So. Hard.

Eldan
2011-06-11, 01:07 PM
Hmm. I'd be both a cheese eating mountain farmer who could play Alphhorn, Yodel (man, that's freakishly difficult) and herd cows and goats, and a suited banker/red cross member who's always smiling and being annoyingly polite to everyone.

And I'd have to like Fondue (blergh).

Moff Chumley
2011-06-11, 01:09 PM
Lessee... I'd weigh 30 lbs, be 6'5", be a baliillionaire movie star, be tanned beyond recognition, heavily into drugs, and only eat trendily, such as by being a vegan or vegetarian. Also I'd be a pseudo-hippie and pretend to have various strong moral stances on a wide array of topics that I actually know absolutely nothing about.

Southern California, then? :smalltongue:

HellfireLover
2011-06-11, 01:09 PM
Nah, "what" has any number of possible inflections and accents. "Wot" can only be used in the context of "I say, wot wot?"
:smalltongue:

Not entirely true. (http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/wit--2?rskey=eQXJkD&result=1)

If I was my stereotype, I'd be a humourless, ginger-haired, foul-mouthed, drunken creature with a bottle of irn-bru permanently in one hand and a deep fried Mars bar in the other. I'd wear tartan (or a nasty shell suit) say 'och aye', 'jings', and 'crivvens', and be 'tight as a moose's lug' with my money. I would possibly chase haggis about hillsides (do people still believe haggis are animals?), pick thistles to decorate my home, and hate English people with the fiery burning passion of a thousand suns.

I do quite like Irn-bru... but deep fried chocolate? Boggin'!

Solaris
2011-06-11, 01:15 PM
...and hate English people with the fiery burning passion of a thousand suns.

Yeah, but who doesn't?

TheLaughingMan
2011-06-11, 01:16 PM
I'd probably be some loud, obese cowboy in an astronaut suit wearing the red white and blue as a cape, imperialize my culture wherever I went, and shoot anyone who objected with a money gun of some sort. And have a Big Mac stuffed in my mouth at all times.

If I was my stereotype, I'd be a humourless, ginger-haired, foul-mouthed, drunken creature with a bottle of irn-bru permanently in one hand and a deep fried Mars bar in the other. I'd wear tartan (or a nasty shell suit) say 'och aye', 'jings', and 'crivvens', and be 'tight as a moose's lug' with my money. I would possibly chase haggis about hillsides (do people still believe haggis are animals?), pick thistles to decorate my home, and hate English people with the fiery burning passion of a thousand suns.

What kind of Scotsman are you, no kilt and bagpipe? :smalltongue:

Ranger Mattos
2011-06-11, 01:16 PM
What, the beer part isn't true? Wisconsin sounds like an awesome place to live just from that! If anything else, it sounds like a nice, simple life with out as much stress as I'm used to.

If you tell me Wisconsin has a Cabella's or Brass Pro Shop... I may have to consider moving there.

No, no beer for me. Underage. But Wisconsin is a nice place to live.

And yes, we have tons of those types of shops. And the Wisconsin Dells.

Zain
2011-06-11, 01:25 PM
On a national level, I'd be a beer swelling lumberjack living in a log cabin in the woods doing nothing but play hockey. Could not be more wrong.

Thufir
2011-06-11, 01:31 PM
I suppose I'd look something a bit like my current avatar...
Which, so this will still make sense in the future when I change it, is this:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k63/Razor-Sharp_H7/Avatar/TeapotRain2.png

Xyk
2011-06-11, 01:43 PM
I'd probably be overweight, uneducated, ride a horse, hate liberals, jews, foreigners, non-whites and northerners, yet still have a down home hospitality for everyone else (other white Texans). I'd wear lots of denim and flannel and love/fear my god, who can beat up your god.

I guess I do wear blue jeans frequently, but that's really the only similarity between me and Texas stereotypes. The sad part is I sometimes meet people who fit that description pretty well.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-06-11, 01:53 PM

I'm *this* close to being a stereotype anyways.
Hockey: check.
Maple Syrup Elitism: check.
Eh: check.
Aboot: if you mean I don't say abaaaaooouuut like you silly drawling Americans, then check. There's no long 'a' sound in about.

I just need to take the canoe to my school in an igloo every day, then accidentally run over a polar bear mauling a moose, then I'm good.

*.*.*.*
2011-06-11, 01:53 PM
I would be constantly wearing ball caps, usually saying something like ' Git-R-Done!' being written on it, as well as nothing but a wife beater and jeans. I would also have little to no education, horrid teeth, and an accent that could peel paint from the side of a house. I would also stay constantly drunk and blame immigrants for "stealin' mer jub"

I live in Tennessee~:smallfrown:

Teutonic Knight
2011-06-11, 02:09 PM
Uh...

I'd be stealing vast quantities of money from my shockingly well-payed parents to fund an outrageous drug addiction, I'd drive a Mercedes, live in a three story house on the bay with a private dock, spend most of my waking hours in hot tubs, and be so achingly liberal that it breaks reality.

...while that describes some of my friends, it hardly portrays me. Stupid Northern California. :smallsigh:

How north is this? And I actually don't know what the rest of the state thinks of the East Bay, but as for the country, I'd say the same everyone else is saying about the US. America's image has been thoroughly bashed in this past decade.

HellfireLover
2011-06-11, 02:42 PM
Nah, "what" has any number of possible inflections and accents. "Wot" can only be used in the context of "I say, wot wot?" :smalltongue:

I'd probably be some loud, obese cowboy in an astronaut suit wearing the red white and blue as a cape, imperialize my culture wherever I went, and shoot anyone who objected with a money gun of some sort. And have a Big Mac stuffed in my mouth at all times.

What kind of Scotsman are you, no kilt and bagpipe? :smalltongue:

I am indeed a sadly deficient Scotsman. :smallwink:

Elder Tsofu
2011-06-11, 02:51 PM

I guess that, as a Swede, I would be a chef, dodge polar bears on the highways while driving my Volvo and live my life surrounded by blonde supermodels with enormous breasts who were willing to have sex with anyone at any time.

This is not true...

P.S. People are free to substitute 'state' (or the local equivalent) for country.

Doesn't it nowdays also include living in an house filled with cheap, practical, named furniture which you were man enough to assemble yourself? (with the included tools).

Teutonic Knight
2011-06-11, 03:12 PM
Doesn't it nowdays also include living in an house filled with cheap, practical, named furniture which you were man enough to assemble yourself? (with the included tools).

Seriously though, IKEA is one the best things to come out from Sweden. The desk I'm sitting at right now came from IKEA. :smallbiggrin:

MCerberus
2011-06-11, 03:21 PM
I'd be exactly the vision of Chicago, only with an inherent desire to go down to the farm to watch redneck comedy with my entirely white neighbors. On the weekend I'd go to the only landmark in the entire city.

I'd also be a complete cynic all the time...
Well broken watch twice a day.

Eldan
2011-06-11, 03:25 PM
I'd be exactly the vision of Chicago, only with an inherent desire to go down to the farm to watch redneck comedy with my entirely white neighbors. On the weekend I'd go to the only landmark in the entire city.

I'd also be a complete cynic all the time...
Well broken watch twice a day.

Actually, all I know about Chigago is from 30s gangster movies :smalltongue:

MCerberus
2011-06-11, 03:30 PM
Actually, all I know about Chigago is from 30s gangster movies :smalltongue:

The restaurants on "the hill" here like to pretend St. Louis had gangsters, as a "sprawling suburbia you can't see from the air by virtue of trees and a strong corporate culture" isn't as romantic.

They really should stick to frying pasta and putting a swiss/provolone/cheddar monster cheese on pizzas.

Maralais
2011-06-11, 03:32 PM
There'd be camels, camels everywhere.

Haruki-kun
2011-06-11, 03:36 PM
I'd be wearing a big hat, playing soccer all the time, have a long black mustache, eat lots of tacos, and have dark hair and skin. As I currently am, I'm the biggest anti-stereotype there is. According to pop culture, I don't exist. :smalltongue:

Ravens_cry
2011-06-11, 03:39 PM
There wood be snow, eh, lots o' snow. And dem polar bears, day bee ev'ry where, am I right, eh? And da plaid flannel, and da snow, did I mention da snow, dat be there too, eh. Oh and we be polite all da time and our mounties, that's our cops, eh, dey where da red and da ranger hats all da time, eh, and beer and hockey all year long, eh. And snow, dere be lots o's snow.

Asta Kask
2011-06-11, 03:39 PM

Ah yes, Guilty as charged. I even started a thread on SJG forums about the correct skill to use when assembling IKEA furniture.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-06-11, 03:40 PM
English is too obvious. I'd probably end up as the Victorianesque aristocrat rather than the Cockney lad.

My current location, however, carries a whole host of delicious alternative stereotypes - that of cider drinking inbred country farmer yokels. Looking through Curly's posts will give you a deeper understanding therein.

Eloel
2011-06-11, 03:42 PM
There'd be camels, camels everywhere.

Camels indeed.

Ursus the Grim
2011-06-11, 03:43 PM
I'd be an overtanned, gel-haired Italian spending every day at the beach or working out and every night out at clubs getting drunk. My father would be a mobster.

Okay, granted, he kind of is, but that's not the point.

Orzel
2011-06-11, 03:59 PM
I'd be an overtanned, gel-haired Italian spending every day at the beach or working out and every night out at clubs getting drunk. My father would be a mobster.

Okay, granted, he kind of is, but that's not the point.

You forgot the fighting and yelling in public.

CynicalAvocado
2011-06-11, 04:05 PM
i spend my days watching over the cattle and oil wells on my 200,000 acre ranch while wearing a 10 gallon hat and stoking a campfire

MoonCat
2011-06-11, 04:06 PM
I'd be wearing a big hat, playing soccer all the time, have a long black mustache, eat lots of tacos, and have dark hair and skin. As I currently am, I'm the biggest anti-stereotype there is. According to pop culture, I don't exist. :smalltongue:

Where do you live Haruki?

Haruki-kun
2011-06-11, 04:11 PM
Where do you live Haruki?

In Mexico.

Prime32
2011-06-11, 04:18 PM
If pop culture's image of your country was true...Begorrah, 'tid be fair strange it would. Sure there wouldn't be a blonde hair on me head, and wouldn't I only be drinkin' a pint o' Guinness every 5 seconds.

Zejety
2011-06-11, 04:26 PM
I wouldn't mind. Sauerkraut tastes great. :smallbiggrin:

ForzaFiori
2011-06-11, 04:26 PM
I'd live on a farm, probably have no forks in my family tree, own lots of guns, hate non WASPS, dip 24/7, drive a truck (check), have an outrageous drawl (sometimes), grow weed/make moonshine in my spare time, wear overalls and straw hats, sit on porches in rocking chairs, drink nothing but sweet tea, beer, and 'shine, have no education, and have a huge superiority complex when it comes to my state (Check. What can I say, it's a beast state).

Yay SC! The scary part is, while this doesn't describe me entirely, it does describe my family (granted, With a full set of parents and step-parents, there's bound to be some part of my family like each of these)... We're long-time southerners.

MoonCat
2011-06-11, 04:30 PM
In Mexico.

That was my guess, but I wasn't sure.

Maryring
2011-06-11, 04:53 PM
I'd be big, strong, burly and tough as nails from wrestling polar bears, shoot a moose for dinner once a week and spend the rest of my week fishing in mountain lakes because I'd eat fish and drink milk to all my food. I'd be very open out in the forests, and very withdrawn elsewhere. I'd be hospitable, friendly but rude. Also, when I speak it would sound like I sing.

And, for those who are even more local, I'd consider our national holiday to be the day when our city segregated from the country as a whole, I'd constantly blab and blather and be very used to rain. I'd be a bit larger than life, a bit crafty, and I'd speak four different dialects depending on my living standard.

Ursus the Grim
2011-06-11, 04:54 PM
I'd live on a farm, probably have no forks in my family tree, own lots of guns, hate non WASPS, dip 24/7, drive a truck (check), have an outrageous drawl (sometimes), grow weed/make moonshine in my spare time, wear overalls and straw hats, sit on porches in rocking chairs, drink nothing but sweet tea, beer, and 'shine, have no education, and have a huge superiority complex when it comes to my state (Check. What can I say, it's a beast state).

Yay SC! The scary part is, while this doesn't describe me entirely, it does describe my family (granted, With a full set of parents and step-parents, there's bound to be some part of my family like each of these)... We're long-time southerners.

To be fair, I thought you were describing West Virginia. But I'm still a yankee at heart, so I haven't learned the intricate differences yet. :smallbiggrin:

CynicalAvocado
2011-06-11, 05:30 PM
Begorrah, 'tid be fair strange it would. Sure there wouldn't be a blonde hair on me head, and wouldn't I only be drinkin' a pint o' Guinness every 5 seconds.

i lol'd hard

Yanagi
2011-06-11, 05:32 PM
Kentuckians: Either you're Colonel Sanders watching your horse run the Derby or you're a coal-mining, banjo-picking, moonshine-cooking hillbilly who's probably done something unmentionable with his first cousin. Though nowadays it's more meth-cooking than moonshine....

Several rounds of the Colonel Sanders thing in far-flung overseas locations have taught me to lie about my homestead.

Aidan305
2011-06-11, 05:39 PM
I'd be drunk. Very drunk. It may involve Leprechauns.

Ajadea
2011-06-11, 06:05 PM
I'd either be white, very wet, liberal, outdoorsy, vegan, a tree-hugger, a hippie, kinda vaguely New Age, and wear tie-dye. Or be white, very wet, liberal, vegan, well-educated, wear tie-dye, and volunteer at non-profit organizations.

I'm most certainly not a vegan (hot dogs for lunch!), dislike being outside ATM (allergies), hold no strong political views, do not own a single piece of tie-dyed clothing that I like, do not hug trees, and it's not raining (shock! awe!).

Jonesh
2011-06-11, 06:30 PM
Well, Asta Kask already said the national stereotype so I'm going local.
I'd be a barely Swedish, xenophobic and uneducated redneck that talks completely indecipherable (because Swedish people can't or won't understand Danish and they think Scanians are half-Danish :smalltongue:), drinks a lot, is a small time criminal and mostly drives around in a tractor.

Something like that :smallbiggrin:

Nibleswick
2011-06-11, 06:38 PM
I would probably have five wives, horns and a tail.

Alternatively I'd be happy, perky, and friendly to the point where your brain starts to bleed (a little like the Care Bears or My little Pony) at all times.

Remmirath
2011-06-11, 07:09 PM
The U.S.A.'s been done quite a bit, so I'll go for the state - but I don't actually know what other states and/or countries think of us, so I'll make something vaguely plausible up. If anybody knows which state I mean, I'll call it a success. :smalltongue:

I would be obsessed with football, think it's not cold unless it's well below freezing temperature outside, skip across the border to Canada to buy illegal things (and gamble) with frequency, own a cabin 'up north' and do a lot of hunting. I'd also probably go on strike a lot and be thinking of leaving as soon as I can. Also I believe I would spend a lot of time in boats. Oh, and I'd riot if the football team lost or won*.

In truth, I dislike football, get cold easily and think it's cold at sixty degrees fahrenheit or below, have never been to Canada at all, have never been in a cabin at all, have never gone hunting, have never been on strike or had reason to be, am not thinking of leaving, and have only ever been in a boat when on vacation somewhere else, and I hate it when people riot.

*Sadly this is the only one I can confirm at least some people in other countries think about us, though this is more my city than the whole state. Even more sadly, it is sometimes true.

Artemis97
2011-06-11, 07:31 PM
Hmm... I would be a tall, tan, stick thin supermodel living off of daddy's money. Spending my days shopping, sun worshipping, and possibly surfing. My nights would be filled with parties and clubs. Let's add in a little drug culture, some exotic animals, oh and a soundtrack from The Who to top it all off.

I live in south Florida, not too far from Miami. *puts on sunglasses* YEEEAHH!!!

Solaris
2011-06-11, 07:39 PM
Camels indeed.

I've only seen camels in Kuwait, and that was just one herd from the air as we were flying in. Granted, I haven't exactly been all over the Middle East, but don't they only hang out in the deep desert, not the 'merely arid' locales?

You also forgot harems of belly dancer girls in skimpy outfits.
Three guesses what I was disappointed to discover they don't have anywhere where I can find 'em.

The U.S.A.'s been done quite a bit, so I'll go for the state - but I don't actually know what other states and/or countries think of us, so I'll make something vaguely plausible up. If anybody knows which state I mean, I'll call it a success. :smalltongue:

I would be obsessed with football, think it's not cold unless it's well below freezing temperature outside, skip across the border to Canada to buy illegal things (and gamble) with frequency, own a cabin 'up north' and do a lot of hunting. I'd also probably go on strike a lot and be thinking of leaving as soon as I can. Also I believe I would spend a lot of time in boats. Oh, and I'd riot if the football team lost or won*.

In truth, I dislike football, get cold easily and think it's cold at sixty degrees fahrenheit or below, have never been to Canada at all, have never been in a cabin at all, have never gone hunting, have never been on strike or had reason to be, am not thinking of leaving, and have only ever been in a boat when on vacation somewhere else, and I hate it when people riot.

*Sadly this is the only one I can confirm at least some people in other countries think about us, though this is more my city than the whole state. Even more sadly, it is sometimes true.

One of Michigan's lesser cities?

Shovah
2011-06-11, 08:04 PM
I'd be drunk. Very drunk. It may involve Leprechauns.
This.

Although he forgot to mention being a violent bigot and/or a terrorist. But the main part was there.

Thankfully, a lot of people don't seem to know we exist at all.

CoffeeIncluded
2011-06-11, 08:18 PM
I'd be extremely short-tempered, rude, pepper my speech with Yiddish, be extremely street-smart...

DraPrime
2011-06-11, 08:25 PM
I'd never pronounce my ahs unless they came aftuh a consonant or happen to the the fehst lettuh in a wehd. I'd also probably drive my cah like a maniac, oa' at least moah so than I usually do. Pehaps it'd be because I'd always be eating lotsa clam chowdah. Also, I'd be Irish, Italian, oa' both. Foah those that can't tell, I'm writing with a Bwoston accent.

The Glyphstone
2011-06-11, 08:27 PM
I'd be introverted and insular, always carry a gun I bought at the local Wal-mart, work at a shipyard, and give 'out-of-staters' long, rambling directions to landmarks that involve where old farmers' barns used to be, roads that don't exist anymore, and finish with 'but you can't get theah from heah'. I'm apparently rich, but extremely cheapfrugal.

Oh, and I'd apparently be constantly making fun of Dragonprime's sales taxes and bad driving skills.

Haruki-kun
2011-06-11, 08:30 PM
That was my guess, but I wasn't sure.

I'd never pronounce my ahs unless they came aftuh a consonant or happen to the the fehst lettuh in a wehd. I'd also probably drive my cah like a maniac, oa' at least moah so than I usually do. Pehaps it'd be because I'd always be eating lotsa clam chowdah. Also, I'd be Irish, Italian, oa' both. Foah those that can't tell, I'm writing with a Bwoston accent.

I couldn't tell, actually. :smalltongue: But I can't really tell that many accents apart in English.

I'd be introverted and insular, always carry a gun I bought at the local Wal-mart, work at a shipyard, and give 'out-of-staters' long, rambling directions to landmarks that involve where old farmers' barns used to be, roads that don't exist anymore, and finish with 'but you can't get theah from heah'. I'm apparently rich, but extremely cheapfrugal.

Oh, and I'd apparently be constantly making fun of Dragonprime's sales taxes and bad driving skills.

........I'm at a loss. <.<

DraPrime
2011-06-11, 08:39 PM
I couldn't tell, actually. :smalltongue: But I can't really tell that many accents apart in English.

The Bwoston accent is mahked by a somewhat nasal tone and a frequent lack of the lettah "ah". Thehs also the tendency to cut out vowels and just condense wuhds. I frequently say "rm" instead of "room" even though I'm not really from Bwoston. We also use the wuhd "wicked" to describe everything. Foah example, I was driving wicked fast down the highway yesterday. Accidentally cutting myself with a knife while cooking was wicked painful. That witch in the Wizard of Oz is wicked wicked. You get the point.

Hey, ouwa taxes and driving ah' wicked pissah! Weh you from anyways? New Yohk? If you from New Yohk, as a Boston man I have only two wuhds fo' you.

YANKEES. SUCK.

Man, I love living up to stereotypes.

RebelRogue
2011-06-11, 08:46 PM
I'd be a bacon-eating, beer-swilling, sex-obsessed LEGO enthusiast, I think.

Incorrect, as I don't have my LEGOs anymore :smallbiggrin:

The Glyphstone
2011-06-11, 08:47 PM
Why would I want to live in New York, with its sales tax? it's not as bad as Taxachussettes, but we'll live free and die tax free, thank you very much!

Nageto004
2011-06-11, 09:09 PM
I have no idea, I just know that people wouldn't like me. :smallfrown:

Remmirath
2011-06-11, 09:41 PM
One of Michigan's lesser cities?

Indeed. I must've got something right somewhere in there, then.

DraPrime
2011-06-11, 09:48 PM
Why would I want to live in New York, with its sales tax? it's not as bad as Taxachussettes, but we'll live free and die tax free, thank you very much!

Oh, yah from New Hampshah, ah you? You guys ah only good foah liquoah stoahs!

Kiranvonstrom
2011-06-11, 10:02 PM
Oooh, yah. I'd be having a hot dish and lutefisk every day for dinner, dontcha know? We're all polite and nice in Meeneesouda, yah, dispite all tha cold weather. I'd be loving hahkey, too, dontcha know? Not that the a whoole lot out here, according to many people.

Ahem.

I'd be a polite, slightly insane liberal with a weird accent and a lot of swedish heritage. Actually, that's kind of spot on, barring swedish heritage and 'hahkey'.

thubby
2011-06-11, 10:06 PM
I'd either be a tomato farmer, a gang banger, or a foreigner genius exploiting the stupid number and quality of colleges in the area.

depending on which neighboring state i was being looked at from.

Blue Bandit
2011-06-11, 10:11 PM
I'd be Walker, Texas Ranger.
nuff said :smalltongue:

Craftworld
2011-06-11, 10:23 PM
hmmmm....lemme think.
Well, being in Nebraska, people have asked whether or not we have cars, if we live on a farm (WE HAVE CITIES YA KNOW!!!!), and if we still eat bugs.
So, I would have a wagen or a buggy, be a friendly farmer, and eat bugs instead of oh I don't know what we grow here. Also, people call us the "Corn State" but oddly Iowa grows more corn than we do. (we do soybeans, corn, wheat, and we raise cattle.) Also, we had more cowboys than Texas did during the 1800s.

Giggling Ghast
2011-06-11, 10:26 PM
I'd be big, strong, burly and tough as nails from wrestling polar bears, shoot a moose for dinner once a week and spend the rest of my week fishing in mountain lakes because I'd eat fish and drink milk to all my food. I'd be very open out in the forests, and very withdrawn elsewhere. I'd be hospitable, friendly but rude. Also, when I speak it would sound like I sing.

Also, you'd be a lumberjack or a Mountie, eh.

Solaris
2011-06-11, 10:33 PM
Indeed. I must've got something right somewhere in there, then.

It was the comment about 'up north' and the Canucks that gave it away. If you'd've mentioned gangs, guns, fatal social and economic collapse, or violence not pertaining to football, I woulda called it Detroit.

Artemis97
2011-06-11, 10:40 PM
Dragonprime, I've got to say, your Boston stereotypes are spot on. My mom's from up there.

Go Red Sox!

Eruantion
2011-06-11, 10:45 PM

Take this for any state south of Virginia, I'd say. I'm from North Carolina and I an say the same. The funny thing is, none of this fits me much at all (except sweet tea :smallwink: )

The Glyphstone
2011-06-11, 10:50 PM
Oh, yah from New Hampshah, ah you? You guys ah only good foah liquoah stoahs!

Tax-Free liquor stores, remember! And apparently cigarettes.

_Zoot_
2011-06-11, 10:51 PM
Well, I'd answer this, but I need to do battle with another deadly critter that is trying to kill me! Aside from that, I'd drink nothing but beer, carry a really big knife, surf all the time and be obsessed with "putting another shrimp on the barbi"...

We call them prawns, but don't let that stop you.

The only part of that that I come close to is the knife, and I only ever have a pocket knife.... :smalltongue:

Being from Canberra (the capital) I'd be a bureaucrat that had no respect for the rest of the country, be totally detached and loved stepping on the State Governments and really boring... Now to be fair, we'd all be better off with out State Governments. :smallbiggrin:

Personally, I think I'd fit English stereotypes a hell of a lot better.

Matticus
2011-06-11, 11:01 PM
I would be in jail, serving a very long sentence. A very long sentence indeed.

for bestiality.

My country doesn't get a good enough rap. But, preferrably, I'd be a bogan! Maybe! Depends on what you watch.

TheThan
2011-06-11, 11:12 PM
USA:
Fat, shotgun toting moron that thinks his country and by proxy him is better than everyone else.

California:
I’d be a super laid back (read really high) surfer. Blond with a tan, absolutely no common sense and so liberal it’s staggering.

Local area:
I would either be an immigrant worker, a gang member or a pot dealer/smoker. No matter which of the three I am, I will be Mexican and living off of welfare. (sad huh)

Toofey
2011-06-11, 11:27 PM
Uh...

Funny, I thought you were describing a good friend of mine from cape cod for a second.

I'd have the steriotypical Italian American accent, and be extremely impatient with everything. I'd also constantly compare any place I visited to my own home finding almost everywhere else lacking.

Ashen Lilies
2011-06-11, 11:31 PM
... I would probably not enjoy my new life as a prostitute with massive fake breasts, a nine-inch p...ianist, broken English and the tendency to promise to 'love you long time'. :smalltongue:

Moff Chumley
2011-06-12, 12:46 AM
... I would probably not enjoy my new life as a prostitute with massive fake breasts, a nine-inch p...ianist, broken English and the tendency to promise to 'love you long time'. :smalltongue:

Thailand! Right?

How north is this? And I actually don't know what the rest of the state thinks of the East Bay, but as for the country, I'd say the same everyone else is saying about the US. America's image has been thoroughly bashed in this past decade.

Marin County. Actually, this is only really accurate for the very southern part of Marin.

Local area:
I would either be an immigrant worker, a gang member or a pot dealer/smoker. No matter which of the three I am, I will be Mexican and living off of welfare. (sad huh)

The thing is, this could be any number of locations throughout California. South or East Bay, Fresno, anywhere in the greater Los Angeles area...

ZombyWoof
2011-06-12, 03:45 AM
Delaware...

Where's that, south of Turkey?

I lol'd. actually I snorted

Mina Kobold
2011-06-12, 04:05 AM
I'd probably be a fish-eating, blue-eyed blond Viking drinking nothing but mead and living in a windmill. I'd probably have a horrid accent as well.

And the LEGO, lots of it.

I do not drink, however, and my accent is passable. But if you will excuse me, I need to raid England. :smalltongue:

Yora
2011-06-12, 04:08 AM
We'd have a lot more Nazis that are not just a tiny fringe group ostracized by everyone else. And maybe canibals.
Except for that, the stereotypes are all true. :smallbiggrin:

Galileo
2011-06-12, 04:10 AM
I would be in jail, serving a very long sentence. A very long sentence indeed.

for bestiality.

My country doesn't get a good enough rap. But, preferrably, I'd be a bogan! Maybe! Depends on what you watch.

You forgot the ability to construct anything out of No.8 wire. Up to and including more No.8 wire.

Maralais
2011-06-12, 04:15 AM
I've only seen camels in Kuwait, and that was just one herd from the air as we were flying in. Granted, I haven't exactly been all over the Middle East, but don't they only hang out in the deep desert, not the 'merely arid' locales?

That is the damn thing, Turkey is a country whose majority has either harsh in a cold way steppe climate or the usual mediterranian climate, and yet people think we ride camels everywhere. All because it's mostly Islamic:smallfurious:

Kurgan
2011-06-12, 04:39 AM
I'm from New York, and pop culture has taught me that the state consists of nothing but the city and Niagara Falls.

If we were to go by stereotypes, I would live in the city. After that, you can go way to many directions: from an ethnic neighborhood, a gang member, corrupt policeman, drug addict, mafioso and so on.

Lyesmith
2011-06-12, 05:03 AM
I'd be tight-lipped, stoic, cold, sarcastic, emotionally dead, and evil.

I'd also have bad teeth and drink a lot of tea.

Maryring
2011-06-12, 05:09 AM
This talk about denmark reminded me of this (http://satwcomic.com/porn-for-everybody). It may be appropriate, depending upon your point of view of "appropriate".

Don Julio Anejo
2011-06-12, 06:02 AM
I would be a drunk bear playing hockey. Depending which country you pick, I would either be doing so using an AK-47 as a stick in the company of some nice men in expensive suits (take that to mean what you will, be it mafia or spies), or I would be apologizing profusely for taking the puck away from them.

Somewhere along the line I would also have an igloo and a fur hat.

EccentricCircle
2011-06-12, 06:20 AM
What not everyone realises about the UK is that it is in a state of cold war with itself.
The bowler hat wearing, briefcase and umbrella carrying bank managers of the south hate the flat-capped coal miners of the north, and the feeling is so mutual that the entire population of Manchester has been excommunicated for being too southern.
Caught between the Southerners, the Northerners and the Welsh, there is another land: it is called Ambridge and that is where I am from... http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/the-archers/
(and no. those accents are neither west country, nor pirate... thank you very much!)

Teddy
2011-06-12, 06:35 AM

Don't forget that we're all tall, blond and blue eyed too.

Speaking about polar bears, we had a Canadian exchange student in our class this year. We actually told her to spread the myth that there are polar bears walking in the streets over here, because it's too awesome to die out.

Well, Asta Kask already said the national stereotype so I'm going local.
I'd be a barely Swedish, xenophobic and uneducated redneck that talks completely indecipherable (because Swedish people can't or won't understand Danish and they think Scanians are half-Danish :smalltongue:), drinks a lot, is a small time criminal and mostly drives around in a tractor.

Something like that :smallbiggrin:

Also, you're extremely separatistic and the rest of Sweden hates you just as much as you hate them. :smallwink:

You also forgot harems of belly dancer girls in skimpy outfits.
Three guesses what I was disappointed to discover they don't have anywhere where I can find 'em.

Speaking from the Swedish stereotype of Turkey, you also always wear fezzes. And own persian rugs (which may or may not be flying). I think "Ture Sventon" may have something to do with this...

As for myself, well, there isn't much about Sweden as a whole left to be said, I don't actually know much about any stereotypes regarding my home town and I don't live in an especially stereotype-rich province either.

However, most of my family originates from Norrland (the northern half of Sweden), and the stereotype for them would be that they're uneducated, xenophobic countryfolk that eat elk and drinks moonshine. They hate wolves with burning passion and won't pass up on any opportunity to shoot them (illegaly). Also, the highlight of the year is the elk hunt when everyone and their grandmother (Although, there're barely any women to be found in Norrland) heads out with their rifles to live in the forest for a month.

This would be true unless you live in Lappland, in which case you dress yourself in blue clothes with lots of red and yellow decorations, live off reindeer herding and worship the northern light. :smallamused:

Maralais
2011-06-12, 06:53 AM
@Teddy

Oh boy, I forgot the fezzes. THEY'RE ABOLISHED MAN, THEY'RE BLOODY ABOLISHED.

Oh and, I'm supposed to look like this(have some brain bleach with you):
http://galeri.uludagsozluk.com/15/t%C3%BCrk-erke%C4%9Fi_27301.jpg

And, what's Ture Sventon? And how is it connected with the Turk stereotype?

Solaris
2011-06-12, 07:06 AM
Oh and, I'm supposed to look like this(have some brain bleach with you):
http://galeri.uludagsozluk.com/15/t%C3%BCrk-erke%C4%9Fi_27301.jpg

Wait, why wouldn't you want a mustache of such epic power? What's wrong with you?

Eldan
2011-06-12, 07:26 AM
Wait, why wouldn't you want a mustache of such epic power? What's wrong with you?

Wait, there are Turks without mustaches? :smallwink:

Mostly true, actually. I've known a lot of Turks, and all of them, at least when they were over thirty-ish had mustaches.

Asta Kask
2011-06-12, 07:27 AM
And, what's Ture Sventon? And how is it connected with the Turk stereotype?

Classic Swedish children's book starring detective Ture Sventon and his Turkish friend Omar.

Teddy
2011-06-12, 07:40 AM
Classic Swedish children's book starring detective Ture Sventon and his Turkish friend Omar.

Omar always wears a fez. Also, Ture Sventon has a flying carpet that I think he got from Omar.

Jonesh
2011-06-12, 08:30 AM
Also, you're extremely separatistic and the rest of Sweden hates you just as much as you hate them. :smallwink:

Everything north of Skåne is Norrland :smallbiggrin:

Seriously though, a few years back when me and my friends were in Stockholm there was a clerk in a store that pretended he didn't understand us when we asked for directions. That was pretty frustrating considering we speak a regional, urban dialect of Scanian that is nowhere near as drawling and ugly as the redneck dialect :smallsigh:

Är väl sånt som händer när man åker till fjollträsk!

Maralais
2011-06-12, 08:51 AM
Well, moustache may be nice, but the rest of the stereotypical turk's body is... hairy. A LOT.

And I do intend to grow some beard and a moustache later.

Nageto004
2011-06-12, 09:34 AM
I would be a drunk bear playing hockey.

I want to see this so much.:smalltongue:

Elder Tsofu
2011-06-12, 11:45 AM
Everything north of Skåne is Norrland :smallbiggrin:

Seriously though, a few years back when me and my friends were in Stockholm there was a clerk in a store that pretended he didn't understand us when we asked for directions. That was pretty frustrating considering we speak a regional, urban dialect of Scanian that is nowhere near as drawling and ugly as the redneck dialect :smallsigh:

Don't give him too much credit - you can't help some people. :smalltongue:

But being urban you're not one of those that travel to the border every year with shovels to cut Scania off from the rest of Sweden? (Joint effort since apparently people from the rest of Sweden join in for the same reason)

Jonesh
2011-06-12, 12:26 PM
Don't give him too much credit - you can't help some people. :smalltongue:

But being urban you're not one of those that travel to the border every year with shovels to cut Scania off from the rest of Sweden? (Joint effort since apparently people from the rest of Sweden join in for the same reason)

Haha nah, that's just so silly :smalltongue:
I was born and raised in a city of 100 000+ inhabitants who have their own dialect, which is a lot clearer but still distinctly Scanian in pronounciation.
I also realize any kind of separation from Sweden would just lead to poverty, it's not like back in the viking era when it was it's own kingdom or something.

Where are you from Elder? :smalltongue:
Du måste vara en norrlänning då haha ;)

Asta Kask
2011-06-12, 12:45 PM

I don't hate Scanians. Everyone should have one around for the more... unpleasant tasks. :smallbiggrin:

Cristo Meyers
2011-06-12, 01:19 PM
It's Illinois. If the pop culture image was true, we wouldn't exist since just like New York, the entirety of the state is contained in one city. This leads to hilarious gaffes when you're watching or reading something done by someone that's never been here. :smallbiggrin:

Get down to the local (very local) level and apparently where I was born and raised is The Hills Have Eyes with more meth...

CynicalAvocado
2011-06-12, 01:51 PM
apart from wearing so-called "cowboy" boots, i defy almost any and all texas stereotypes

when i lived in west texas however....

TheThan
2011-06-12, 03:05 PM
The thing is, this could be any number of locations throughout California. South or East Bay, Fresno, anywhere in the greater Los Angeles area...

Ya got me!
your stereotype fu is strong!

Coidzor
2011-06-12, 03:14 PM
Hmm, uneducated, illiterate, barefoot, moonshining, prone to engaging in unnatural acts with my cousins... That's about all I can think of offhand.

Around here I feel it should more be part horse in the same sense that people from Alaska and Scandinavia are supposed to be part bear, but that's apparently the one stereotype we've managed to avoid, thankfully.

Elder Tsofu
2011-06-12, 03:26 PM
Where are you from Elder? :smalltongue:

Vaermland, the beauty. The land of the many lakes, deep forests, a greatish city, mountains, situated at equal distances to the three great cities of Scandinavia (Stockholm, Oslo and Gothenburg) - the list goes on and on. :smalltongue:

CynicalAvocado
2011-06-12, 03:32 PM
Around here I feel it should more be part horse in the same sense that people from Alaska and Scandinavia are supposed to be part bear, but that's apparently the one stereotype we've managed to avoid, thankfully.

you're from centaur land?

Mr. Anon Omys
2011-06-13, 04:44 PM
On a local scale, I would be rich. (Note: on a local scale, I am not rich.)

Lady Moreta
2011-06-13, 09:09 PM
It depends on what you mean... where I'm from? or where I now live?

If it was where I'm from, then I'd be fighting the sheep every day just to walk down the street, would eat nothing but meat pies and fish and chips - and I really can't think of any other NZ stereotypes.

If where I live, then I'd drink beer, be referred to as a 'sheila', call everyone 'mate' and probably eat nothing but meat pies :smalltongue: Oh, and as Serps said, there'd be Vegemite everywhere and we'd be beating off the drop bears with sticks.

MoonCat
2011-06-13, 09:11 PM
Hey, since we all reside on the internet at least part time, what are stereotypes for that?

druid91
2011-06-13, 09:17 PM

Let's see for me, my home state of Maryland, would be that we are elitist Crab fishing/Eating people, and will be a bit snobbish when it comes to eating food that claims to have Chesapeake Bay Crab, and that we put Old Bay seasoning on Everything. And I mean, everything.
There is some truth to this actually. I can't fully explain it, but if you serve us food and you claim it has Chesapeake Bay Crab, we can not only taste whether or not that claim is true, we can also detect whether or not the crab came from Maryland or Virginia. We don't put Old Bay on everything, but we do put it on a far lot more foods than most other people would. Seafood, Burgers, Fries, potato chips. (Which the folks from UTZ have happily obliged our obsession)

And then there are boardwalk style fries... and then vinegar gets added to that equation.

I am however, a bit of an odd ball when it comes to this... I don't like eating just steamed crabs, but I'll eat Crab Soup and stew, and crab/cheese spreads. I don't like cooked sea food. And yet.... I like sushi. I can't explain it. I just can't.
And I'm not a terribly big fan of Old Bay either. I like spicy stuff yes, but... Old Bay for me, is kinda of a "A little bit goes a long way"

Oddly enough that part of my local area has managed to get through to me. I'll try anything with old bay at least once.

Case in point Old bay covered popcorn. Old bay on beef stroganoff. Old bay in ramen noodles. Old bay... I think I once even put old bay on ice cream. Not sure about that though.

Hey, since we all reside on the internet at least part time, what are stereotypes for that?

You. Don't. Want. To. Know.:smalleek:

Cristo Meyers
2011-06-13, 09:17 PM

You either don't exist, or are in reality a man (or FBI agent). :smalltongue:

Solaris
2011-06-13, 09:33 PM
Well, moustache may be nice, but the rest of the stereotypical turk's body is... hairy. A LOT.

And I do intend to grow some beard and a moustache later.

Frankly, I'm surprised that other people haven't picked up on how accurate that particular is for the native Alaskans. The term we use is tundra wookiee: Overweight, oversized, hairy, and thinks personal hygiene is something that happens to other people.
Let me put it this way: In the southlands, when I go hiking in the woods Bigfoot sightings spike. In Alaska, I'm almost as hairy as the women.

Moff Chumley
2011-06-13, 09:48 PM
Ya got me!
your stereotype fu is strong!

Heh. As a Marinite and subject to dozens of false stereotypes by other Californians, I've brushed up in retaliation. :smalltongue:

Eldan
2011-06-14, 03:20 AM
You either don't exist, or are in reality a man (or FBI agent). :smalltongue:

Also an overweight twenty-something male.

Amiel
2011-06-14, 03:35 AM
If pop culture's image of Australia were true, no one would be alive in Australia.

Appropriate image is appropriate;
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/4168/australiam.jpg

Aniu
2011-06-14, 03:50 AM
Baaaaaaa!!!

Everyone knows there's nothing but sheep in New Zealand!

Borgh
2011-06-14, 05:26 AM
I would be a stoned prostitute wearing clogs. Living under water. Possibly growing tulips and dodging windmills.

Asta Kask
2011-06-14, 05:49 AM

The Internet - where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents...

XiaoTie
2011-06-14, 05:56 AM
I'd be a soccer player and samba lover that parties all the time in Rio. Either that or I'd be living in the jungle, and Kurt Cobain's death would be news to me, as I would not know what is going on around the world.

P.S:
BR? AHUAHUAHUAHUAH

The Kurt Cobain part is true, a friend from the US once asked me if I knew that.

Feytalist
2011-06-14, 06:05 AM
Recently, pop culture's view of my country (South Africa) has shifted somewhat from "untamed wilderness where everyone has a pet wildebeest" to "amoral unusual criminal land".

So, I suppose I should either be an international diamond thief on the run, or a sadistic mercenary for hire. With an atrocious accent.

Although I do like me some guns.

Asta Kask
2011-06-14, 06:08 AM
And y'all blow those damn vuvuzelas!

factotum
2011-06-14, 06:15 AM
Guess I'd be wearing a flat cap and spending all my time racing pigeons and tending to me whippets... :smallwink:

Feytalist
2011-06-14, 06:19 AM
And y'all blow those damn vuvuzelas!

Heh, it's really amazing how quickly we got used to that. By now it's little more than a forgettable background noise, even in the stadiums.

Oh, but it's been banned at all rugby and cricket games. Can't have the instruments of the unwashed masses intrude into the gentleman's games ><

Eldan
2011-06-14, 06:31 AM
Recently, pop culture's view of my country (South Africa) has shifted somewhat from "untamed wilderness where everyone has a pet wildebeest" to "amoral unusual criminal land".

So, I suppose I should either be an international diamond thief on the run, or a sadistic mercenary for hire. With an atrocious accent.

Although I do like me some guns.

Actually, District 9 is pretty much all I know about contemporary South Africa. Therefore, you all have weird accents and fight mercenaries in mech suits.

Asta Kask
2011-06-14, 06:39 AM
Heh, it's really amazing how quickly we got used to that. By now it's little more than a forgettable background noise, even in the stadiums.

Obligatory world cup joke (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prrv6_CUyF0)

Venctin
2011-06-14, 06:48 AM
Here's a regular bear playing hockey. (http://www.break.com/index/bear-playing-hockey.html)

Xanmyral
2011-06-14, 07:52 AM
Well, since the national one has been done to death, may as well do the regional. Uh... Gotta think about this.

I suppose I would be a devote conservative, who wears a suit of some kind, always goes to church on Sundays, and the children will have the insatiable urge to call their father's pop. If you've seen Moral Oral, that's pretty much the pop culture of my area. In actuality though, it involves a lot more weed, alcohol, intolerance, and feigned worship to keep up public appearances.

Okay, so it's more like Moral Oral then I thought.

Dallas-Dakota
2011-06-14, 08:05 AM
I'd be a pimp. A pimp who's stoned/drunk all the time, is making cheap jokes about belgians and doesn't understand the concept of hills or mountains.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-06-14, 08:11 AM
I'd be incredibly fat, loud, and lazy OR an incredible mach man. I'd also be dumb, a racist, and not know any Geography outside my home country. I guess I'd be pretty rich too, but I'm not sure how much of a stereotype that is.

At a State Level ... I'm not really sure, I guess a lot of Amish.

MoonCat
2011-06-14, 08:18 AM
I'd be a pimp. A pimp who's stoned/drunk all the time, is making cheap jokes about belgians and doesn't understand the concept of hills or mountains.

My father didn't understand the concept of hills and mountains for a very long time, actually. He tried to go roller skating backwards a few years ago, his arm still hurts on bad days (he roller-bladed/fell down a cement slope into a blackberry bush and sprained his arm)

big teej
2011-06-14, 08:21 AM
nation/country: fat, stupid, uneducated, bigot

state: some unholy mix of Larry the Cable guy and the Colonel
actually, probably just the blue collar comedy tour combined.

PanNarrans
2011-06-14, 08:22 AM
I'd either be a tea-sipping, umbrella-carrying aristocrat with an RP accent
Bar the 'aristocrat' this is me, unfortunately. I'm working class, dammit!

Eldan
2011-06-14, 08:24 AM

Heh. Reminds me of a rather famous shortstory by a local comedian/writer about how the Netherlands sold all their mountains to Switzerland. Mostly because the Swiss had the problem that all their skiing lifts were flat, while in the Netherlands, all the tulips would die in the mountain air.

ghost_warlock
2011-06-14, 08:41 AM
I find that this comic serves as an adequate example of what it's like living in stereotypical Iowa, USA.

http://www.redmeat.com/redmeat/2011-04-19/index-1.gif

AtlanteanTroll
2011-06-14, 08:57 AM
My father didn't understand the concept of hills and mountains for a very long time, actually. He tried to go roller skating backwards a few years ago, his arm still hurts on bad days (he roller-bladed/fell down a cement slope into a blackberry bush and sprained his arm)

I'd put that down to not paying attention. A common and dangerous condition found in otherwise intelligent adults.

Borgh
2011-06-14, 09:21 AM
I'd put that down to not paying attention. A common and dangerous condition found in otherwise intelligent adults.

The thing is, most people think "hey I'm on a mountain, maybe I should pay attention to the slope right now" wheras dutch people (as Maankat's dad is IIRC) have not bred that into their genes as the worst will hapen to a backwards-skater is that he will run into a canal.

MoonCat
2011-06-14, 09:26 AM

Well yes, but he wasn't paying attention because he didn't think slopes would be there. Ever.

The thing is, most people think "hey I'm on a mountain, maybe I should pay attention to the slope right now" wheras dutch people (as Maankat's dad is IIRC) have not bred that into their genes as the worst will hapen to a backwards-skater is that he will run into a canal.

Exactly. Although the idea of my dad falling into a canal seems rather attractive to me nowadays.

SurlySeraph
2011-06-14, 05:48 PM
I'd split my time between hating America, paying taxes, and kvetching about the subway. Add using cocaine, making political campaign contributions, and kvetching about my driver, if I lived on the East Side.

rayne_dragon
2011-06-14, 08:48 PM
I guess I would be a drunk-on-beer, hockey-playing sasquatch who lives in an igloo? That's how people see Canada right? :smalltongue:

Oh, as for provincal stereotypes... well I guess that just means I'd be a hippy instead. I'm not really sure if that's still the stereotype since vancouver seems to have a reputation for being "no fun" these days.

Zale
2011-06-14, 09:04 PM
According to google, This.

http://hiphappy.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/south-rise-again.jpg

Alarra
2011-06-14, 10:22 PM
I'm going to go with the state I'm from, rather than the state I currently live in, since all I know about the stereotypes of the state I'm currently in is that I'm supposed to like crab.

So yeah....I wouldn't exist. I actually find it really laughable how many times I've gotten the response, "Wait..people actually live there?" when I've mentioned I'm from South Dakota.

And if by some chance people admitted that there actually are people in SD, I would probably live on a farm, drive a truck and own a gun, or be Native American.

MoonCat
2011-06-14, 11:31 PM
I'm going to go with the state I'm from, rather than the state I currently live in, since all I know about the stereotypes of the state I'm currently in is that I'm supposed to like crab.

So yeah....I wouldn't exist. I actually find it really laughable how many times I've gotten the response, "Wait..people actually live there?" when I've mentioned I'm from South Dakota.

And if by some chance people admitted that there actually are people in SD, I would probably live on a farm, drive a truck and own a gun, or be Native American.

Wait, what's South Dakota? :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2011-06-14, 11:41 PM
Wait, what's South Dakota? :smalltongue:

That reminds me actually, the Appalachians I know now refer to the Dakotas as the real land of barefoot and pregnant after the few things its done that have managed to be newsworthy for the past 50 years.

ForzaFiori
2011-06-14, 11:43 PM
To be fair, I thought you were describing West Virginia. But I'm still a yankee at heart, so I haven't learned the intricate differences yet. :smallbiggrin:

The one specific for SC over another state is "and have a huge superiority complex when it comes to my state". I once heard a quote that went something like "All southern states feel inferior to Virginia, save South Carolina, which know's itself to be superior to them all". Even more than other states, we think of our state as the "truest" old south. We were the first to succeed, and all that jazz, and it gives us a big head.

other than that though, the south atlantic states (Virginia, NC, SC, and Georgia) can be broken into two basic stereotypes. Upcountry, which is what I described, since that's where I'm from, and low country, which has the more upper class southern stereotypes. Also, the Appalachian parts of WV, Tennessee, and Alabama can also be put into the Upcountry stereotypes typically.

Coidzor
2011-06-14, 11:46 PM
other than that though, the south atlantic states (Virginia, NC, SC, and Georgia) can be broken into two basic stereotypes. Upcountry, which is what I described, since that's where I'm from, and low country, which has the more upper class southern stereotypes. Also, the Appalachian parts of WV, Tennessee, and Alabama can also be put into the Upcountry stereotypes typically.

Upcountry is pretty much a subset of Appalachia from what I can recall, rather than the other way around. :smalltongue:

ForzaFiori
2011-06-14, 11:59 PM
Upcountry is pretty much a subset of Appalachia from what I can recall, rather than the other way around. :smalltongue:

They're pretty much just synonyms. The Upcountry being the Piedmont and mountainous areas of Appalachian states. I simply listed the coastal states first because I don't know how to describe the western halves of WV, TN, AL, etc, so started with what I knew first.

Alarra
2011-06-15, 12:07 AM
That reminds me actually, the Appalachians I know now refer to the Dakotas as the real land of barefoot and pregnant after the few things its done that have managed to be newsworthy for the past 50 years.

Oh I know! *rolls eyes* And people wonder why I keep saying I'm not going to move back...

Dusk Eclipse
2011-06-15, 12:30 AM
I would be wearing a sombrero big enough to cover myself; probably either sleeping with my back resting against a cactus or drinking tequila and/or beer.

I would also live in a desert and have a donkey as my means of transportation; also I would definitely not be typing in English (probably wouldn't even be typing period) and refer to everyone as "Señor".

Oh and the 5 de Mayo would be my main holiday (which curiously enough is not celebrated here in the country as widely as in other countries by the immigrants, or at least that is what T.V has lead me to believe).

GolemsVoice
2011-06-15, 12:45 AM
I'd be either a nazi sympathizer and speak in funny akzents, ja, or a humorless BMW-driving Siemens executive who listens to Kraftwerk/Rammstein (quickly, how many German bands can you name?), but is quite effective at what he does.

Going down to state level, I'd be wearing Lederhosen and these fancy green hats, drink beer out of 1-litre-glasses, and dance to ooompah-music. My dialect wouldn't be understood by anyone futher north than the Danube, which I would consider a foreign country. Also, I'd love the dominant political party and their leaders, have voted them since I was old enough to do so, and secretly wish king Ludwig II. would come back and bring the monarchy with him.

Amiel
2011-06-15, 01:29 AM
Going down to state level, I'd be wearing Lederhosen and these fancy green hats, drink beer out of 1-litre-glasses, and dance to ooompah-music.
Drinking beer out of 1L glasses? That's a bit weak, mate, we Aussies would be drinking beer out of bathtubs.

factotum
2011-06-15, 01:32 AM
I guess I would be a drunk-on-beer, hockey-playing sasquatch who lives in an igloo?

You mean you're not? :smalleek: Another illusion shattered...you'll be telling me there's no Santa next! :smallbiggrin:

Amiel
2011-06-15, 01:43 AM
You mean you're not? :smalleek: Another illusion shattered...you'll be telling me there's no Santa next! :smallbiggrin:

What about the bear-wrestling?

Kensen
2011-06-15, 02:56 AM
I would be blonde and blue-eyed (I'm not), and shy and depressed (sometimes true) except when drunk. :smalltongue:

According to teenage girls who love music from my country, all men around here are beautiful, long-haired and musically talented (in my case that's not very far from the truth :smallwink:) and my country is OMG so wicked awesome and I'm sooooo lucky to live here. :smallbiggrin:

GolemsVoice
2011-06-15, 04:44 AM
So you're German, ja?

Eldan
2011-06-15, 04:50 AM
So you're German, ja?

I don't even know how to type a Swiss accent in English. In German, it's much easier.

Reinboom
2011-06-15, 06:09 AM
I believe you all are neglecting the pop portion of the original post!
Hm, for here...

I guess I would be a Pepsi.

Eldan
2011-06-15, 06:10 AM
I see. :smallbiggrin:I'd be Rivella, then. Which has the added advantage (?) that no one outside of Switzerland has ever heard of me.

Amiel
2011-06-15, 06:19 AM
I'd be a beer.

Kensen
2011-06-15, 06:32 AM
So you're German, ja?

Ich? Neeeee. I'm Finnish. :smallsmile:

Borgh
2011-06-15, 06:37 AM
I see. :smallbiggrin:I'd be Rivella, then. Which has the added advantage (?) that no one outside of Switzerland has ever heard of me.

In the netherlands we only have Rivella Light. Which is sad as compared to the genuine stuff its monkey pee.

As a dutchman I would be....ehm...is there a genuine dutch soda? time for google-fu.
answer: nope. I would be something imported then.

Drascin
2011-06-15, 06:41 AM
I'd go everywhere singing and dancing flamenco while fighting bulls and clapping some castañuelas.

Spain is kind of one-note in foreign pop-culture, sadly :smallsigh:.

Reinboom
2011-06-15, 06:49 AM
I'd go everywhere singing and dancing flamenco while fighting bulls and clapping some castañuelas.

Spain is kind of one-note in foreign pop-culture, sadly :smallsigh:.

I would of thought you all duelists and inquisitors who are passionately familiar with the psychology of human intimacy competing against love. :smallconfused:

Of course... the Spanish movies I watched and books I read are a bit off key.

At the very least, you should have ferocious giant windmills always on the attack. :smalltongue:

Eldan
2011-06-15, 06:49 AM
In the netherlands we only have Rivella Light. Which is sad as compared to the genuine stuff its monkey pee.

As a dutchman I would be....ehm...is there a genuine dutch soda? time for google-fu.
answer: nope. I would be something imported then.

Really? Huh. I was always told it existed no where else. Apparently, it was tried and pretty much failed in Germany.

GolemsVoice
2011-06-15, 07:05 AM
I'd be Afri-Cola. Or a beer.

Feytalist
2011-06-15, 07:48 AM
I'd probably be a wine. A pinotage, specifically. Which is handy, since I actually grew up on a wine farm.

Eldan
2011-06-15, 07:49 AM
Well, if all drinks count, I'd either be milk or ovomaltine.

Scarlet Knight
2011-06-15, 07:54 AM
As an Italian American New Yorker, born in New Jersey. I want youse guys to know dat sterotyping is bad. So, I have been asked by the Mothers And Fathers Italian Association to tell youse guys to knock it off, if you know what's good for ya. Capisce?

Eldan
2011-06-15, 07:57 AM
Oh, and modern stereotypes are totally lame.

I'll go over there and train with my halberd now. Then I'll go attack the Holy Roman Empire.

Symmys
2011-06-15, 08:16 AM
Going by region, I'd be dirt poor and, according to what my friends have told me after trips out of state, capable of fighting off gangsters with my bare hands. And don't get me started on what my school would be like. :smallsigh:
As for beverages, I'd be Faygo brand. Preferably root beer, because I like root beer.

Feytalist
2011-06-15, 08:30 AM
Oh, and modern stereotypes are totally lame.

I'll go over there and train with my halberd now. Then I'll go attack the Holy Roman Empire.

Heh. Wait, where's my assegaai?

grimbold
2011-06-15, 08:34 AM
i would be surrendering to everything while simultaneously popping snails into my mouth

GolemsVoice
2011-06-15, 08:40 AM
I'd be some dude with a zweihander, and I'd be furiously torturing peasant. That's something I could get behind, actually. Eldan would probably mess me up with his pikes and mountain-stuff, though.

Eldan
2011-06-15, 08:41 AM
I'd be some dude with a zweihander, and I'd be furiously torturing peasant. That's something I could get behind, actually. Eldan would probably mess me up with his pikes and mountain-stuff, though.

Well, we did. Several times. :smalltongue:

Heh. Though you started copying us when you made up Landsknechte. Cheap copies, of course, but good for those who can''t afford the real article.

rakkoon
2011-06-15, 09:01 AM
I would be conquered by every nation except Monaco and then even only because they weren't interested.

I'd be one hell of a fighter and one hell of a bad actor.

I'd be a very strong beer with chocolaty flavour.

lesser_minion
2011-06-15, 09:04 AM
Well, going by pop culture, I don't exist because Britain is Only London.

Going by the more recent material, I'm either a vampire or a drunk (or worse) college student. And with older material, I get to be a pirate. Arrrr.

As for drinks, I have a worrying suspicion that I get to be a pint of cider (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5SX3A-ifME) (that's 'hard cider' if you're American). Or possibly snakebite.

Teddy
2011-06-15, 09:13 AM
Going by drink, I'm Julmust, the Christmas beverage that is so popular that it beats Coca-Cola manyfold each Christmas. I find it pretty hillarious to watch how hard the Coca-Cola Company tries to take over its market with huge advertising campaigns each Christmas, but to no avail (thankfully).

Zigg'rrauglurr
2011-06-15, 09:25 AM
Going by pop culture, I would be living in a country up to the neck in corruption, where Nazi generals live hidden among the populace and criminals from all over the world come to escape international authorities...
Wait a moment... that IS what happens here. :smalleek:
As for me, I would be either a macho-man wearing a hat and dancing tango all day long with beautiful girls in 4 inches stilettos and tight fitting red dresses; A poncho wearing, boleadoras throwing gaucho (cow-boy), eating barbaque every day and taking care of my cows; Or a football obsessed hooligan that doesn't care about anything else in the world.

Just for a reality check:

I don't have an ounce of rythm, so any kind of dancing is out of the question. My girlfriend dances like a godess tough. But i can't even clap following a song.
The meat part is true though, we eat an amazing amount of (real) meat, real as in not hamburguers made out of unknown components.
Contrary to the country norm for males, I don't care for football. Nor any other sport either.

Asta Kask
2011-06-15, 09:26 AM
Don't you hate the English also?

Although, that's common in many parts of the world... :smalleek:

CynicalAvocado
2011-06-15, 09:39 AM
going by drinks, i'd be lone star beer.

Maho-Tsukai
2011-06-15, 09:43 AM
For me? Well, by pop culture alone I most likely don't exist since all that seems to be in NY is the big apple....

However, if you go into more obscure horror tales I am most likely some kind of educated/scholarly type who's studying of the darker side of my slightly spooky, quiet, too New England-esc town has led me into a deep, not-so-dark edritch-horror filled nightmare thats scary but not as scary as the ones in New England since I am only in the second hottest Eldritch-horror hang out.

Scarlet Knight
2011-06-15, 09:54 AM
For me? Well, by pop culture alone I most likely don't exist since all that seems to be in NY is the big apple....

However, if you go into more obscure horror tales I am most likely some kind of educated/scholarly type who's studying of the darker side of my slightly spooky, quiet, too New England-esc town has led me into a deep, not-so-dark edritch-horror filled nightmare thats scary but not as scary as the ones in New England since I am only in the second hottest Eldritch-horror hang out.

Is that you, Congressman?

Asta Kask
2011-06-15, 10:10 AM
Fighting men?

I would be either a Viking or a Carolean. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caroleans)

Dusk Eclipse
2011-06-15, 11:10 AM
Going by drink: Alcoholic Tequila, nevermind it is brewed in another state (Guadalajara) and if it isn't brewed there it can't be named Tequila.

Non-Alcoholic: Coca-Cola, yeah even in litttle towns without medical clinic they have their coke freezer :smallsigh:

Ancient past: Well I would be making wars with other pre-hispanic cultures dressed like this:http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_KXmqpLblei0/Sf9s9TkwvuI/AAAAAAAAAJM/-iMED946DnM/s400/745949613423azteca3xp0.jpg
I actually like that image >_> <_<

And making human sacrifices

Crow
2011-06-15, 11:16 AM

Southern California? This is pretty much what I was going to post.

Mina Kobold
2011-06-15, 12:05 PM
Drinks?! I'd probably be milk, or potentionally a hybrid of mead and beer.

Prefer to be milk or a really old-fashoined mead, though. Since that's pretty much just honey and water... I could be milk and honey!

Ahem.

The ancient warrior stereotype would probably be Vikings (despite not being around in ancient times) or Germanic barbarians kicking Roman butt till next Tuesday.

Maxios
2011-06-15, 12:08 PM
If pop culture's image of California was true, I'd be living at the beach in a huge manor. I'd be out surfing every day. I'd be famous, and I'd be driving a $1,000,000 car :smalleek:

As you can guess, none of these things apply to me :smalltongue:

Eldan
2011-06-15, 12:42 PM
Hmm. Really ancient times? I'm not sure if we'd be Helveti, Alemanni or Raetians, really.

GeeVee
2011-06-15, 12:44 PM
I'd be a viking living in an igloo, spending most of my time looking for elves and trolls by the constantly active volcanoes next door.

Ranger Mattos
2011-06-15, 01:08 PM
Going by drinks, I would either be milk or beer.

ForzaFiori
2011-06-15, 01:09 PM
Drinks? I'd definitely by Cheer-Wine.

Ancient times? Well, going by my state, I'd be a Cherokee. However, my family at that time was in various parts of Europe, so I'd be... a bit of everything. Yay for being a mutt. Unfortunately, I know very few stereotypes about the Cherokee, or that would describe all of ancient Europe.

Imperial Psycho
2011-06-15, 01:49 PM
Historical stereotypes? Well I guess I better get my longbow then.

(Technically, I don't think the act that made longbow practice mandatory was ever repealed, so I have been illegally not learning the longbow this whole time.)

And yes. Everyone hates the English. Especially the English. It's ok. We reciprocate. :smallbiggrin:

Asta Kask
2011-06-15, 02:06 PM
We Scandinavians never hated the English! You are our favorite raiding target!

Mina Kobold
2011-06-15, 02:25 PM
The Danes even built you cities!

Granted, we used them while ruling half of Britain, but we still let you have them afterward! >_>

Imperial Psycho
2011-06-15, 02:25 PM
Raiding? More like conquest. good old Danelaw.

I'm a Southerner though, so would have been in Wessex. (Actually, Sussex was it's own kingdom for a fair bit.) We threw you out eventually. :smalltongue: Vikings came damn close to ruling the whole place though.

Mina Kobold
2011-06-15, 02:35 PM
We left when we heard the Normans were coming, wouldn't want to spoil our fellow Northerners' fun. Could always get it back, althought that "no raiding" deal with Popo kind of messed up those plans. :smalltongue:

Elder Tsofu
2011-06-15, 02:36 PM
Sweden, in contrast to Denmark, has always had its eyes turned east. Russia will fall someday - and the Swedish Empire will be there when it happens. :smalltongue:

Imperial Psycho
2011-06-15, 04:05 PM
Left? more like forced out in a series of victories for us. :smallbiggrin: Had another go with Hardrada . Didn't work out.

And then, about a millennium later, we burned Copenhagen. :smallbiggrin:

Kurgan
2011-06-15, 05:08 PM
Drinks? Don't know if there is an official New York drink. Finger Lakes are wine country and based off of the amount of beer that leaves Ithaca, I would have to guess that the entire city is just one giant brewery, so I would have to say that I'd be guzzling Beer and Wine.

Ancient times? I suppose that I would be in Iroquois, so think along the lines of "Last of the Mohicans". Though like a good number of Americans, all of my family is originally from various parts of Europe.

Maryring
2011-06-16, 04:56 AM
I would be blonde and blue-eyed (I'm not), and shy and depressed (sometimes true) except when drunk. :smalltongue:

According to teenage girls who love music from my country, all men around here are beautiful, long-haired and musically talented (in my case that's not very far from the truth :smallwink:) and my country is OMG so wicked awesome and I'm sooooo lucky to live here. :smallbiggrin:

I have to admit, I originally thought this meant you were from Denmark, and not Finland.

Mina Kobold
2011-06-16, 05:17 AM
Left? more like forced out in a series of victories for us. :smallbiggrin: Had another go with Hardrada . Didn't work out.

And then, about a millennium later, we burned Copenhagen. :smallbiggrin:

You keep telling yourself that. :smallamused:

It took two Great Fires burning down most of it before we stopped building the entire thing in plywood and holding Fireman parties every week, so I'm not sure if that would say any more about England's power as Denmark's lack of common sense. :smalltongue:

Eldan
2011-06-16, 05:48 AM
I have to admit, I originally thought this meant you were from Denmark, and not Finland.

Hmm. All the Finns I know have brown hair. But I only know three.

Scarlet Knight
2011-06-16, 08:10 AM
On a national level, I'd be a beer swelling lumberjack living in a log cabin in the woods doing nothing but play hockey. Could not be more wrong.

I suppose that means you weren't in the crowd after last night's Stanley Cup Final? Just goes to show : Take a lumberjack put of the woods to watch a hockey game and he ends up burning the town.... :smallwink:

The Canadian stereotype was "polite". New York fans are foul mouthed & crude, but we tend to avoid crossing a certain line (probably out of fear of what an unleashed NY crowd is like).

Now, the English , they have stereotypically violent sports fans!

polity4life
2011-06-16, 08:48 AM
I think this has been done, but ohh well:

Living in a suburb of Detroit, I would still be a Detroiter and be named Loktar: chieftan of the wastes. My neighborhood, or current foraging site, would resemble a mixture of Kosovo circa '94 and Del Ray present day. People who live far from the wastes would fear me by association, unless they are from clan Genesee whose members have been bat **** crazy for decades.

My tribe would fight over territory which is largely filled with abandoned buildings. Everyone would be strapped and listen to hardcore rap. We would have some obscure number mysticism like the Bloods who obsess over the number five or the Crips love for everything in threes, if I'm not mistaken.

Everything would have to be on fire, save for Ford Field, Comerica Park, and Joe Louis Arena. These sites are defended by the super wealthy clan Oakland who will delve into the wastes for entertainment.

I think that covers all bases.

Don Julio Anejo
2011-06-16, 02:57 PM
I suppose that means you weren't in the crowd after last night's Stanley Cup Final? Just goes to show : Take a lumberjack put of the woods to watch a hockey game and he ends up burning the town.... :smallwink:
From last night:

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/7025/riotk.jpg

Photo courtesy of my roommate, I was too tired to go rio... err, enjoy the celebrations. In the background is a burning police cruiser :smallannoyed:

Moff Chumley
2011-06-16, 02:58 PM
brb gotta learn trombone so I can rock out in front of burning things.

Draconi Redfir
2011-06-16, 03:00 PM
Canada? flippin cold all the time.

Alberta? BEEF BEEF BEEF!

both are true.

humson
2011-06-16, 03:52 PM
I would live in a trailer with my wife/cousin. I would name my shotgun and drink beer all the time. I would not know of fancy technology like "internet", "computers", and "indoor plumbing" My name? Bubba

Kallisti
2011-06-16, 04:20 PM
A fellow Washingtonian. *High five*

Also Washingtonian here, which I guess makes me coffee-addicted, painfully polite yet depressingly whiny, and constantly morose about all the rain.

Unless Shadowrun counts as pop culture, in which case I'm a less-tanned Michael Westin.

Surfing HalfOrc
2011-06-16, 04:23 PM
As an expat living in Korea, I would be a bar-girl chasing alcoholic, who treats the Korean Nationals like third world peasants while ignoring the fact that the Korean economy is one of the most modern in the world. I would never go outside the expat compound until it was time to fly back to the Real World, except to bar-hop.

Oh, I would have to fend off North Korean attackers on a daily basis, using my Rambo skills, despite the fact that I am medically obese and am usually still drunk/hungover until the bars open and I can start drinking again.

I would have underworld connections, and could get you fully automatic weapons and explosives within an hour, no questions asked. I would just assume you would use them for Truth, Justice, and the American Way.

RedDeerJebediah
2011-06-16, 05:47 PM
I would sail around, raiding/looting/utterly destroying English villages while ingesting copious amounts of beer, with long hair and beard flowing in the wind.

Hmm. Apart from sailing and raiding/looting/destroying, this isn't all that untrue.

Misery Esquire
2011-06-16, 06:02 PM
Eh, I'm sorreh, aboot all dem stereotypes and whatnot, bye. We newfies don't need to not never put up widdit, y'know. Y'just gotta smile like der's a good cuppa screech and pat 'im on the back. Mainlanders. 'eesh. Dey just go gimmesummunny, and yer lookin' in the eye, 'ight? But yeh don't look bears in the eye dun't 'ave any bears though so yeh know it's a mainlander, so dey're dere, wantin' summa yer munny, an' yer wonderin' why am' I payin' seh much fer dis junk? Den yeh remember 'dat odder week, wit da lackin' o' junk ter thro' onna fire. Right 'nough lad, yeh say, an' der dey go. 'appy as could be. Mainlander. Aye, go figure.

Disclaimer ; Actually a bluenoser with an all-newfie family.

Trog
2011-06-16, 07:42 PM
For my state, I'd be a pasty white, overweight, cheap beer drinking, brat and cheese munching, bubbler using, flannel-wearing cow farmer with a pet badger that he takes deer hunting. I'd talk like a character in the movie Fargo and be sure to call the state "WisCAHNsin."

Ranger Mattos
2011-06-16, 09:29 PM
For my state, I'd be a pasty white, overweight, cheap beer drinking, brat and cheese munching, bubbler using, flannel-wearing cow farmer with a pet badger that he takes deer hunting. I'd talk like a character in the movie Fargo and be sure to call the state "WisCAHNsin."

Well dang. Seems like there was a lot I forgot about.

Amiel
2011-06-16, 09:36 PM
I'd be a beer-guzzling, fly-eating, constantly swearing bogan with a stubbie in each hand somehow also managing BBQ tongs while tossing prawn and meat shanks on the barbie. I'd also wrestle crocodiles, kick-box with kangaroos and talk in quizzical inflection with weird Cockney-esque pronunciation.

Everything would be upside.

Skeppio
2011-06-16, 09:56 PM
I'd be a beer-guzzling, fly-eating, constantly swearing bogan with a stubbie in each hand somehow also managing BBQ tongs while tossing prawn and meat shanks on the barbie. I'd also wrestle crocodiles, kick-box with kangaroos and talk in quizzical inflection with weird Cockney-esque pronunciation.

Duh. Everyone knows we're all gutter-mouthed, beer-swilling insectoid people. :smallwink::smalltongue:

Xyk
2011-06-17, 03:51 AM
From last night:

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/7025/riotk.jpg

Photo courtesy of my roommate, I was too tired to go rio... err, enjoy the celebrations. In the background is a burning police cruiser :smallannoyed:

I dunno what's goin' on with the guy on the right's legs, but that is an incredible picture. I like it very much.

Anuan
2011-06-17, 04:44 AM
I love how this thread's evolved :smalltongue:
Popculture drink.
Nationally: Fosters.
Statewise: XXXX. Gold. Realistically, Fosters is despised almost universally, XXXX, especially Gold, is very popular here in Queensland and also in other places.

Culturally? Well, either I'd be drinking beer and watching the footy (one of several versions) slash cricket slash lawn-bowls, or drinking beer and having a barbeque. In the older, more preferable popculture (which was once quite accurate) I'd be incredibly laid back, be equipped for any rough situation (that's not a knife), and be silently proud of my country and the people within it whilst loving to make fun of it, and especially derisive of 'patriots.' Also, I'd be handy in any situation, with a working knowledge in the basics of mechanics, plumbing, fishing, and general repairs on just about anything. I'd probably also be a racist that thought he wasn't racist, though.

Ancient peoples:
http://www.joseflebovicgallery.com/catalogue/cl_136_2009/Large/136-0018.jpg

Topus
2011-06-17, 07:38 AM
For modern stereotype: I'd be a very flirtatious man, who likes opera, soccer, sport cars, good food and wine, smart but not really honest, always trying to get his own interest.

For medieval stereotype: we would be fragmentated in a lot of rich kingdoms and duchies, being a pinnacle for literature, art and music. But politically devoted to intrigues and treachery (thus spoke Machiavelli:P)

For ancient stereotypes: we are ruling the western world.

mmm i see a discouraging trend in this....:smalleek:

Scarlet Knight
2011-06-17, 09:24 AM
For modern stereotype: I'd be a very flirtatious man, who likes opera, soccer, sport cars, good food and wine, smart but not really honest, always trying to get his own interest.

For medieval stereotype: we would be fragmentated in a lot of rich kingdoms and duchies, being a pinnacle for literature, art and music. But politically devoted to intrigues and treachery (thus spoke Machiavelli:P)

For ancient stereotypes: we are ruling the western world.

mmm i see a discouraging trend in this....:smalleek:

Don't forget the gesturing! My tongue is horrible at Italian, but my hands are fluent! :smallwink:

Morty
2011-06-17, 04:04 PM
I'd probably be stupid, slightly(or more than slightly) drunk all the time, wouldn't speak English and I'd steal stuff.

An Enemy Spy
2011-06-17, 04:06 PM
I'd be a coffee guzzling computer geek who carries an umbrella even in the summer and listens to Pearl Jam all the time.
The last one is true.
Washington! Can I get a w00t w00t?

Craftworld
2011-06-17, 07:54 PM
I'd probably be stupid, slightly(or more than slightly) drunk all the time, wouldn't speak English and I'd steal stuff.

Don't forget the thing that perplexes me the most...so many consanants...so few vowels...

Lillith
2011-06-18, 03:05 PM
Let's see... I'd be living in a windmill on a levee surrounded by tulips. I would wear wooden shoes while poking fingers in the levees and eat nothing but cheese and smoke illegal substances all day. Also my street would have a lot of red lights. Besides that I'd be a whopping two meter tall blond that can't spend money at all and I'm far too tolerant for my own good, unless you're a danger to my money and trade. My favorite color is orange, I work hard all day as a merchant and I have a pet cow. :smallbiggrin:

Borgh
2011-06-18, 05:34 PM
I would be a stoned prostitute wearing clogs. Living under water. Possibly growing tulips and dodging windmills.

Let's see... I'd be living in a windmill on a levee surrounded by tulips. I would wear wooden shoes while poking fingers in the levees and eat nothing but cheese and smoke illegal substances all day. Also my street would have a lot of red lights. Besides that I'd be a whopping two meter tall blond that can't spend money at all and I'm far too tolerant for my own good, unless you're a danger to my money and trade. My favorite color is orange, I work hard all day as a merchant and I have a pet cow. :smallbiggrin:

oh dear...

Morty
2011-06-18, 05:43 PM
Don't forget the thing that perplexes me the most...so many consanants...so few vowels...

Ah, but that's not a stereotype - that's a linguistic fact. :smalltongue:

BladeofOblivion
2011-06-18, 06:14 PM
I'd be 300 lbs. Heavier. :smallannoyed:

Craftworld
2011-06-18, 10:16 PM
Ah, but that's not a stereotype - that's a linguistic fact. :smalltongue:

To be honest...and out of an honest want to know...how do you get the vowel sounds?

Lillith
2011-06-19, 12:29 PM
oh dear...

Yeah we're a lovely stereotypical country. :smallwink: I'm just happy I'm very far from my stereotype as I can. Except that I'm blond.

GolemsVoice
2011-06-19, 02:14 PM
Don't forget that you are all horrible drivers and clog our wonderful German autobahnen with your caravans.

TinyMushroom
2011-06-21, 04:10 PM
I live there too xD
Such an embarrassing stereotype...

Avilan the Grey
2011-06-22, 01:59 AM
Tall, blond, heavy accent when speaking English, eating nothing but meatballs, fermented herring and moose steaks.
Oh and all my female friends would be as tall as me, as blond as me and both be oversexed AND see nothing sexual about walking around in the nude when strangers visit. And their accent would be even worse than mine.

Scarlet Knight
2011-06-22, 11:42 AM
Tall, blond, heavy accent when speaking English, eating nothing but meatballs, fermented herring and moose steaks.
Oh and all my female friends would be as tall as me, as blond as me and both be oversexed AND see nothing sexual about walking around in the nude when strangers visit. And their accent would be even worse than mine.

*Note to self, check out flights to Sweden...*