PDA

View Full Version : Religion prohibition extend to RPGs?

Sahadeva
2011-06-11, 11:22 AM
I know there's a rule that says you're not to talk about real world religion and politics, and that's fair enough to avoid people getting snarky with each other. But I'm wondering, does that extend to games run on the forums?

For example, most of the gods found in the Scion game are from dead religions, such as Greek and Norse mythology. But at least one group of the gods which you can be a scion of is from a very much alive religion.

Another example - in the new Vampire setting of World of Darkness, one of the Covenants is strongly linked to a particular real life, existing religion.

It's also imaginable that real life religions or politics can play a part in various SF or modern campaigns. Are these games forbidden, or do they have to limit references to real religions/politics? Or is the ban on such topics only referring to OOC discussion? Thanks in advance.

pendell
2011-06-11, 11:47 AM
I'm not a mod. I'm guessing, however, that the religion of a game world is the religion of a game world. It may resemble a real-world religion, and it may have originally been based on a real-world religion, but it isn't.

Thor grants very few lightning spells in the real world, after all. :smallamused:.

I'm guessing that so long as you're discussing in-game religion in the context of a game, it's permissible even if said in-game religion bears a resemblance to a real one.

I.e., if I'm talking about Thor and Loki in the context of the Marvel Comic book or the movie, I don't think anyone cares.

If I start talking about Thor and Loki and the teachings of the scandinavians in the real world, I'm in trouble.

If I was in doubt, I'd change the names and labels in discussion on the forum to make it obvious that you're talking about a game world and the religion of said game world.

That's what I *suspect*. It'll be interesting to see whether the mod team agrees or not.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Roland St. Jude
2011-06-11, 11:52 AM
Sheriff: Yes, your characters can discuss such things in the IC, and you might even reference the fictional version briefly in the OOC. But avoid discussions of the real world religion in the OOC or anywhere else on the forum.