PDA

View Full Version : Best game system for pirates of the carribean

BobVosh
2011-06-11, 11:28 PM
Basically I decided I kind of want to run something similar to pirates of the Caribbean.

I have come up with several thoughts:
1) Heroic mortals from exalted almost seem perfect. Ritualistic thaumaturgy for magic (like binding of Calypso etc) Stunts allow awesome impractical pirates type fighting, etc.
2) Free form, but I am probably the only member of my group who would like freeform.
3) I have heard about scion, and it seems like maybe it would work, never looked into the system though.

So TL;DR: What system would you suggest for pirates of the Caribbean themed game, and preferably why? Yes I'm aware that M&M and GURPS are the standard answer, but I think M&M would take too long to make this level of character and GURPS, well my rule book for it decided to take a bath and just fell apart on me.

The-Mage-King
2011-06-12, 12:31 AM
Spirit of the Century, maybe? The SRD for it is here (http://crackmonkey.org/~nick/loyhargil/fate3/fate3.html), and from what I heard, it's intended to be a cliche storm.

TroubleBrewing
2011-06-12, 05:12 AM
7th Sea.

That's the only system you'll ever need for Pirates, anything with Errol Flynn, etc.

Truly, truly epic.

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-06-12, 08:48 AM
Someone already beat me to Spirit of the Century, but that's what I'd go with. Check out the FATE blog (http://www.faterpg.com/2011/consequences-as-positive-currency/) for consequence house rules you may want to adapt to speed combat up.

Tengu_temp
2011-06-12, 01:03 PM
Yeah, either go with 7th Sea (a system specifically made for things like this), or take SotC and replace Drive and Pilot with Sail (and add some appropriate stunts to it).

Coidzor
2011-06-12, 02:01 PM
I think M&M would take too long to make this level of character

Taking too long to make a character is your primary reservation about using Mutants and Masterminds? :smallconfused: Are you intending to have a lot of party deaths?

BobVosh
2011-06-12, 05:40 PM
No, but I hate how long it takes to make a character with that system if you aren't familiar. I am the only one mildly familiar.

7th sea eh? Looking into it. Thanks.