PDA

View Full Version : Has Nale taken levels in some "cliche villian" homebrew class yet?

paladinofshojo
2011-06-12, 01:10 AM
Just out of speculation...but wouldn't Nale have taken some evil version of his brother's "dashing swordsman" levels? Perhaps yet another obscure prestige class? Or maybe good ol' fashioned "Blackguard" as a way to counter his brother's obscure, homebrewed class with one that is well-known throughout the D&D community....your thoughts on the matter?

factotum
2011-06-12, 01:38 AM
Nale already has three normal classes and is probably about as poorly optimised as you can get...I doubt he's going to add another one, especially since Elan's prestige class has only raised him from "totally useless" to "marginally competent".

Ramien
2011-06-12, 01:39 AM
Nah, he's just gone through a completely over-elaborate 'respeccing' by deliberately losing levels to Sabine, failing the save so they're truly lost, then using the 'rival always keeps pace with the PC' rule to build himself to better counter Elan's known abilities, possibly also to help him get rid of Tarquin as well.

Bavarian itP
2011-06-12, 02:28 AM
Nah, he's just gone through a completely over-elaborate 'respeccing' by deliberately losing levels to Sabine, failing the save so they're truly lost, then using the 'rival always keeps pace with the PC' rule to build himself to better counter Elan's known abilities, possibly also to help him get rid of Tarquin as well.

I like this idea, but I think it's to smart for Nale :smallwink:

Zejety
2011-06-12, 04:49 AM
I like this idea, but I think it's to smart for Nale :smallwink:

Nale is the definition of complicated plans.

The Succubus
2011-06-12, 04:56 AM

I find this method of respeccing a lot more appealling than paying out a huge wad of money. All games should have succubus-respeccing systems.

Thanatosia
2011-06-12, 07:19 AM
Just out of speculation...but wouldn't Nale have taken some evil version of his brother's "dashing swordsman" levels? Perhaps yet another obscure prestige class? Or maybe good ol' fashioned "Blackguard" as a way to counter his brother's obscure, homebrewed class with one that is well-known throughout the D&D community....your thoughts on the matter?
Taking levels in a prestige class just does not fit him. For example, Elan took levels in Bard - a simple elegant way to build the kind of character he wants to play. Nale didn't take 'evil bard' or some house varient of it, he took a horrible mash of basic classes to achieve the same result, badly.

So whats the horribly ineffective counterpart to prestige classes? Well, since prestige classes are considered a step up in munchkin terms from normal classes, it stands to reason that nale would instead take a step down.... so I predict that if Nale did adapt his build to 'counter' elans prestige class it would be to take a few levels in several commoner classes, like warrior and aristocrat.

Paintomancer
2011-06-12, 09:38 AM
Or he would just take a really complicated and obscure set of feats to attain something that counters Elan's pun-fighting.

ORione
2011-06-12, 10:16 AM
Taking levels in a prestige class just does not fit him. For example, Elan took levels in Bard - a simple elegant way to build the kind of character he wants to play. Nale didn't take 'evil bard' or some house varient of it, he took a horrible mash of basic classes to achieve the same result, badly.

In Nale's defense, he's Lawful, so he couldn't be a bard.

factotum
2011-06-12, 10:28 AM
In Nale's defense, he's Lawful, so he couldn't be a bard.

True, but he also said that Bard was a bad class when they first met...which makes it even odder that he went to all that trouble to duplicate a Bard without actually being one!

Keejus
2011-06-12, 11:12 AM
He clearly wanted to have skill points, arcane magic and combat abilities; he just didn't want the goofy singy class with them

FujinAkari
2011-06-12, 11:45 AM

No. Prestigious classes are PRESTIGIOUS. Not everyone gets them, and we should generally expect that people won't get them.

Gift Jeraff
2011-06-12, 12:56 PM
Maybe "not having any prestige class" is the way Nale chose to counter it.

But Nale probably wouldn't take something that rewards theatrics or puns. He'd take something that benefits from either his complexity or disproportionate vengeance.
No. Prestigious classes are PRESTIGIOUS. Not everyone gets them, and we should generally expect that people won't get them.Did this idea come from the fact that Elan spent 2 days training? Nale's had almost 11 months to train in a prestige class. :smalltongue:

Off the top of my head, we've seen 8 characters with prestige classes. If the ninja class in OOTS is prestige, then we've seen plenty.

FujinAkari
2011-06-12, 02:49 PM
Off the top of my head, we've seen 8 characters with prestige classes. If the ninja class in OOTS is prestige, then we've seen plenty.

Except it isn't, Ninja is a standard class in Complete Adventurer. Which eight are you thinking of? As far as I know, except for one-off jokes, we've seen 2: Elan and Tsukiko

BillyBobJoe
2011-06-12, 02:57 PM
There's the Arcane Trickster in the Thieve's Guild.
There was the Shadowdancer.
Crystal was an Assassin.
There are a few Archmages, though they are only seen once or twice.
Elan is a Dashing Swordsman.
Tsukiko is a Mystic Theurge.
And I'm sure I've missed a few.

Gift Jeraff
2011-06-12, 03:29 PM
Yes, the eight I was referring to were what BillyBobJoe said plus Julio Scoundrél.

ORione
2011-06-12, 03:31 PM
Even so, the attitude Elan initially had towards pretige classes implies they're fairly rare.

G-Man Graves
2011-06-12, 06:26 PM
There's the Arcane Trickster in the Thieve's Guild.

No there wasn't. That spell caster was just a rogue/sorcerer. Hence complaining that his spells weren't very good.

Gift Jeraff
2011-06-12, 06:35 PM
No there wasn't. That spell caster was just a rogue/sorcerer. Hence complaining that his spells weren't very good.
In Origin, Haley asks him how the Arcane Trickster thing is going and he says he's only 2 levels away from qualifying for the class.

Ramien
2011-06-12, 06:47 PM
Even so, the attitude Elan initially had towards pretige classes implies they're fairly rare.

It implies that Elan thought they were for munchkins (and maybe clerics), not that they were necessarily rare. It's like how everyone talks down about sorcerers even though there have been a decent number showing up.

And considering that munchkins part of the line, Nale could consider it on those grounds, especially since a lot of prestige classes have focused on synthesizing various multiclass combinations. In some ways, though, it seems too simple for him, so I'll stick with my prior guess on how he's been leveling

ORione
2011-06-12, 08:17 PM

I don't remember which strip it was, but in one of them Haley said that one good part about the cloister effect was that it kept the guild's arcane trickster from successfully scrying on her.

Souhiro
2011-06-12, 08:25 PM
I think that Nail's PRC would be "Bearer of the Goathee" or something related.

And for Nail's level of power... well, he's supossed to be a Fighter/Sorcerer/Roge, but I've never seen him doing any sneak attack. That isn't about optimicing (Like putting a ton of ranks in Use Magical Device, and carring an Eficient Quiver full of Wands) Using his Sneak Attacks would be... well, being a F/S/R

Gift Jeraff
2011-06-12, 08:30 PM
I don't remember which strip it was, but in one of them Haley said that one good part about the cloister effect was that it kept the guild's arcane trickster from successfully scrying on her.Here it is. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0581.html)

Lemonus
2011-06-12, 08:34 PM

And for Nail's level of power... well, he's supossed to be a Fighter/Sorcerer/Roge, but I've never seen him doing any sneak attack. That isn't about optimicing (Like putting a ton of ranks in Use Magical Device, and carring an Eficient Quiver full of Wands) Using his Sneak Attacks would be... well, being a F/S/R

He has done a sneak attack, can't find the strip right now, though.

ORione
2011-06-12, 08:57 PM
Here it is. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0581.html)

That's the one. Thanks.

Thanatosia
2011-06-12, 09:21 PM
He has done a sneak attack, can't find the strip right now, though.
You are probably thinking of when he killed the Cliffport Police Chief (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0360.html), it looked like just an abush attack, but Nales comment in the first panel of the next strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0361.html) implies that it was a Sneak Attack (he just forgot to 'call it out')

Kish
2011-06-12, 09:41 PM

Nail...?

And for Nail's level of power... well, he's supossed to be a Fighter/Sorcerer/Roge, but I've never seen him doing any sneak attack.
Remember the Chief of Cliffport Police?

For that matter, remember Elan in their first fight? He just doesn't shout "Sneak Attack!" the way Haley does when he sneak attacks.

ORione
2011-06-12, 09:42 PM
Nail...?

Remember the Chief of Cliffport Police?

For that matter, remember Elan in their first fight? He just doesn't shout "Sneak Attack!" the way Haley does when he sneak attacks.

Bards can't sneak attack.

Procyonpi
2011-06-12, 09:48 PM
Also, in terms of sneak attacks

He didn't call it out in this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0056.html), but the fact that it knocked Elan out probably means it was a sneak attack.

Kish
2011-06-12, 10:07 PM
Bards can't sneak attack.
Nor would it be relevant to Nale if they could.

Nale sneak attacked Elan.

ORione
2011-06-12, 10:18 PM
Nor would it be relevant to Nale if they could.

Nale sneak attacked Elan.

Ah, I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that Elan sneak attacked in their first fight.

G-Man Graves
2011-06-13, 08:47 AM
Here it is. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0581.html)

Ah. I stand corrected.

The point stands though. There have been a whole lot of characters in this strip. Out of those, a handful have prestige classes. Not exactly prevalent.

Archibardo lv11
2011-06-13, 01:01 PM
I made this "Nale", a npc contrated villan for my group (they was lv 12 in that moment)

Nale

Sorcerer (Battle) 8, Rogue 2, Fighter 1, Black Guard 4

Humanoide Mediano (human); Estatura 1’77, LE
DG 8d8+24+2d6+6+5d10+15; 115
Inic +4; Vel 30 pies; CA 22 (+4 dex, +6 chain shirt+2, ring of prot +2) (toque 16, desprevenido 18)
BA +12/Gra +14
Ataques: +18/+13/+8 1d8+6 (17-20 /x2) or Divine migth +18/+13/+8 1d8+11 (17-20 /x2)

Skill: Bluff +23, Diplomacy +25, Knowledge (Arcana) +20, Spellcraft +22, Intimidate +25, Jump +6, Knowledge (Religion) +7, Hide +9, Search +17

Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Sunder, Weapon Focus (Long Sword), Divine migth, Impruved Critical (Long Sword), Spell Focus (Enchantment), Greater Spell Focus (Enchanment).

TS Fort +17, Ref +15, Vol +13
Fue 14, Dex 18, Con 16, Int 14, Sab 12, Car 20

EA
Find Traps, Evasion, Sneak Attack +2d6, Detect Good, Poison Use, Dark Blessing, Smite Good 1/day (+5/+4), Command Undead 8/day, Aura of dispair.

Sorcerer Spell Know lv1: Charm Person, Expeditious Retreat, Shield; lv2: Invisibility, Blindness/Deafness; lv3: Suggestion; lv4: Confusion.

Spell per day: 5/5/5/4/2 CD 15+Spell lv (17+spell lv for enchantment)

Black Guard Spell prepared: lv1: cure light rounds, Cause Fear; lv2: eagle’s splendor.

Gear: Long Sword adamantine +3, Chain shirt+2

It was fun for play, but no recomendet for a player. I need to put 3 more lvs to Nale to ve a Chalange to my players

PD: Sorry for the Spanglys (I'am from Argentina, and my writting sucks)

Gift Jeraff
2011-06-13, 01:36 PM
Oh, I forgot Kubota had a prestige class.
Ah. I stand corrected.

The point stands though. There have been a whole lot of characters in this strip. Out of those, a handful have prestige classes. Not exactly prevalent.Good point, but at the same time we've seen like 40~ wizards and clerics, but only 3 bards and 6 barbarians (I think), so lack of prevalence doesn't suggest certain classes being more prestigious than others.

Don't get me wrong, it's entirely plausible that prestige classes are rare and actually prestigious, and I submit to the idea, I just consider it a fan theory.