PDA

View Full Version : How do you get access to a domain with no associated deity?

danzibr
2011-06-12, 09:13 AM
... what the topic says.

My reading of the domain rules say you have to choose your two domains from the ones associated with your deity. Gluttony has no associated deities. What's up with that?

The Glyphstone
2011-06-12, 09:14 AM
if you're not in Faerun, you can be a cleric of a cause or philosophy.

Shadowknight12
2011-06-12, 09:15 AM
What he said.

Furthermore, deity domains are not immutable. Your DM can add more as he sees fit. This is actually recommended in sources that introduce new domains.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-06-12, 09:54 AM
I think worshiping the lords of the nine, or the Demon princes also grant access to domains... and I think Gluttony is associated with some of the Demon Princes (perhaps an obirinth?)

Telonius
2011-06-12, 07:11 PM
Traditionally, either Beelzebub or Belphegor are the "demons" associated with gluttony. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to tack gluttony onto Baalzebub's portfolio. Out of the Lords of the Nine, he does seem like the one closest to that particular one of the "seven deadly sins."

Big Fau
2011-06-12, 07:21 PM
Worship Sertrous (Elder Evils). You now have access to all domains, regardless of alignment restrictions.

And 5 free bonus feats.

Urpriest
2011-06-12, 07:38 PM
Gluttony, like the other Seven Deadly Sin domains, comes from a Dragon article that has suggestions for their use. IIRC it's intended for a more monotheistic setting, or for adding to existing deities.

Darrin
2011-06-13, 07:06 AM
Also available via Planar Touchstone -> Catalogues of Enlightenment, which doesn't require that the domain be part of your deity's portfolio, or even that you need to worship a deity.

Psyren
2011-06-13, 07:38 AM
Worship Sertrous (Elder Evils). You now have access to all domains, regardless of alignment restrictions.

And 5 free bonus feats.

I find it extremely amusing that any church/cult Sertrous ever decides to start only needs "All domains! Free feats" on the recruitment flyer, and you'd have every cleric in CharOp ready to drink the koolaid and wait for the meteor. :smalltongue:

Elana
2011-06-13, 08:01 AM
If your DM runs a campaign that has a pantheon more akin to historical pantheons...just pick one of the thousands lesser gods "nobody" remembers the name of today.
For example if your campaign follows the norse mythos..make up a new Disir who happens to be the god of your clan..and voila excuse for any domains you want.

In any reasonable polytheistic setting there should be a hundred lesser gods for any deity whose name was mentioned in any rule book.

Sdonourg
2011-06-13, 08:19 AM
You can also be a mystic. It can access any domain without worshipping a deity.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-06-13, 02:41 PM

And 5 free bonus feats.

Were does it says that exactly? I know Setrous tricked a Solar into revelaing people can worship ideals instead of gods; but I haven't seen the actual rule that says: "Worship Sertrous, get free domains"

Big Fau
2011-06-13, 02:56 PM
Were does it says that exactly? I know Setrous tricked a Solar into revelaing people can worship ideals instead of gods; but I haven't seen the actual rule that says: "Worship Sertrous, get free domains"

Page 116, in the description of Seghulerak (literally the first paragraph there).

dextercorvia
2011-06-13, 03:04 PM
I find it extremely amusing that any church/cult Sertrous ever decides to start only needs "All domains! Free feats" on the recruitment flyer, and you'd have every cleric in CharOp ready to drink the koolaid and wait for the meteor. :smalltongue:

If you think about it, it makes sense, though. In any demonic contract story, somebody is looking for an edge.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-06-13, 03:24 PM
Page 116, in the description of Seghulerak (literally the first paragraph there).

.... wow; now all my clerics will be cultists of Sertrous :smallbiggrin:

JoshuaZ
2011-06-13, 04:59 PM
I see the domains. Where are the free bonus feats mentioned?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-06-13, 05:15 PM
Page 10 under "Serving Elder Evils" header last paragraph. The feat selection is poor; but with some effects like the DCS you can get up to 5 good feats.

Big Fau
2011-06-13, 05:23 PM
I see the domains. Where are the free bonus feats mentioned?

In the first chapter, under the Feats section.

JoshuaZ
2011-06-13, 05:24 PM
In the first chapter, under the Feats section.

Oh, right, because he's an Elder Evil.

Keld Denar
2011-06-13, 05:29 PM
Doresain (Lord of Ghouls) has the Hunger domain...Gluttony isn't a far stretch from there. Especially considering ghoulish nature.