PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten Realms: Information on Amn?

Talya
2011-06-12, 09:26 AM
I'm not finding much other than the half-page blurb in the FRCS.
Sadly, I've never played the Baldur's Gate PC games, so I lack even that knowledge.

Yora
2011-06-12, 09:29 AM
I don't think anything got published about Amn in 3rd Edition except the short description in the CS. Though I think there was a boxed set about that Region in AD&D.
(This one (http://www.trollandtoad.com/p115450.html), but good luck getting hold of one.)

Googling it, I came upon this page, which suprisingly has quite a lot of info.
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Amn

Alleran
2011-06-12, 09:44 AM
The FRWiki is notoriously unreliable depending on what you're looking for.

Try looking up some 2e supplements - the Lands of Intrigue boxed set should have everything you need. You can also look at some of the Volo's Guides.

Talya
2011-06-12, 11:24 AM
The FRWiki is notoriously unreliable depending on what you're looking for.

Especially as it treats the apocryphal "spellplague" and the gutting of the Realms as canon. :smallsmile:

CapnVan
2011-06-12, 12:28 PM
I'm not finding much other than the half-page blurb in the FRCS.
Sadly, I've never played the Baldur's Gate PC games, so I lack even that knowledge.

Try here (http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13961).
They're the direct links to the previous edition PDF downloads hosted, entirely legally, on WoTC's site.

They removed the index page some time ago, but the PDFs are still there. Lands of Intrigue will be particularly beneficial re: Amn.

Yora
2011-06-12, 01:03 PM
Congratulations, the Captn struck gold. Didn't know LoI was part of that batch. This should be about the most extensive resource on Amn ever written.

Seharvepernfan
2011-06-12, 04:37 PM
You might try candlekeep forums. Those guys know what they're talking about.

PirateLizard
2011-06-12, 05:33 PM
Amnians are dark skinned, and their culture and appearance represents that of what we know as the Byzantines. In BG and BGII Amn was apparently preparing for war, rumored to be building an army with their massive wealth to invade the Sword Coast, although this was not the main point of the game and more of just giving flavor to the NPCs and theactrical background to the setting.

Pretty much everyone on the Western part of Faerun at some point has been wary of Amn, and they often are regarded with a kind of sleeping giant personification, at least around 1600DR-1700DR, always plotting to crush their rivals with military might so as to make themselves even wealthier. Think Nazi Germany pre-takeover of Europe. They're very wealthy and conniving, and people are wary of this.

They're also portrayed as kind of a Scooby-Doo villain. Every time they have some plot to take over the world, something bad happens and delays them or they end up signing a treaty instead. It's happened more than once the threat of war was purely a hoax, used by the Amnians to further their place as the Kings of Trade and trick rivals into signing trade treaties with them in an effort to "alleviate the diplomatic troubles" as it were.

With the discovery of Maztica, they became a bit more distracted from the conquer the world bit, and instead decided to use their wealth to fund a kind of Spanish Inquisition "crusade" against the Aztec/Mayan "savages" of the land they found. References to this can be found not only in the name Maztica (Mexico + Aztec + Maya = Maztica) and the relative placement of the two areas in the world, but in BGI and II, where the Amnish City Guards and Soldiers wore Spanish Inquisition era helmets and were clothed in red, carrying pikes instead of long rifles. :smalltongue:

Note BG takes place 7 years after Amn discovers Maztica, however, making them even wealthier, and they're still threatening to invade, Baldur's Gate being a major target, but also rumored to be plying to conquer Waterdeep. What happens with all of this however I believe remains property of BioWare, although it can't be very significant or amount to much as there's no record of it in later times. Typical Amn.