PDA

View Full Version : Turning Back Into a Warforged

FreakyCheeseMan
2011-06-12, 11:10 AM
So, I built a warforged artificer I was quite fond of, (Even if I missed a lot of stuff in doing so.)

Sadly, his first fight out off the boss he ate a slay living, and since our party has a druid rather than a cleric, Reincarnate brought him back as a half-orc.

I didn't lose *too* much mechanically- Infuse Self and Weapon Familiar from the racial substitution levels, and the cool wand sheath, but nothing crippling. However, for reasons of pure flavor I don't like this character nearly as much as a meatbag than a deathbot.

Any idea how I could get him changed back? He's level 12 now; I considered Renegade Mastermaker, but I think that PrC is 10 levels long, and I don't have the sourcebook besides.

Shadowknight12
2011-06-12, 11:12 AM
The PHBII has rules on rituals that explicitly change your race to whatever you want. You have to work it out with the DM, though, since it's basically codified DM fiat wrapped in three gallons of fluff and eight ounces of side quest.

Flickerdart
2011-06-12, 11:38 AM
A warforged should get a different reincarnation table, anyway - it isn't a humanoid, and the spell's table is for humanoids only.

Greenish
2011-06-12, 11:42 AM
A warforged should get a different reincarnation table, anyway - it isn't a humanoid, and the spell's table is for humanoids only.How many living constructs there are, four? Or would non-living constructs also appear on such a table?

Amphetryon
2011-06-12, 11:45 AM
The PHBII has rules on rituals that explicitly change your race to whatever you want. You have to work it out with the DM, though, since it's basically codified DM fiat wrapped in three gallons of fluff and eight ounces of side quest.

I hesitate to even mention it, but if the above suggestion doesn't work, you might consider the Green Star Adept. It provides a means of becoming a construct. Work with your DM on how the caster level issue is SUPPOSED to work, since it's famously badly worded.

Draig
2011-06-12, 01:10 PM
three gallons of fluff and eight ounces of side quest.

Just so you know, im taking this saying from now on to describe and answer my PC's when they ask "Well whats in that mysterious chest/door/room"

Shadowknight12
2011-06-12, 01:44 PM
Just so you know, im taking this saying from now on to describe and answer my PC's when they ask "Well whats in that mysterious chest/door/room"

I'm most pleased to hear that. :smallbiggrin:

Coidzor
2011-06-12, 01:51 PM

Worst loot ever.

Moriato
2011-06-12, 02:09 PM
Well reincarnate does specifically mention that a Wish or Miracle spell will restore you to your original form. Expensive, yes, but it is one option.

Darrin
2011-06-13, 07:18 AM
A warforged should get a different reincarnation table, anyway - it isn't a humanoid, and the spell's table is for humanoids only.

Oh, man... now I totally want a warforged that gets reincarnated as a chainsaw. Or a Tesla roadster.

Malimar
2011-06-13, 07:50 AM
How many living constructs there are, four? Or would non-living constructs also appear on such a table?

I use a table of all (well, most) constructs. If a [Living Construct] gets reincarnated into a regular construct, they keep the [Living Construct] subtype.

(This has been relevant exactly once. A warforged got reincarnated into a Dread Guard.)

FreakyCheeseMan
2011-06-13, 10:09 PM

I proposed such; my DM overruled it and went with the standard table.

Coidzor
2011-06-13, 11:23 PM
I proposed such; my DM overruled it and went with the standard table.

Mostly because he'd've had to make one up then and there to have had one at all, I believe.

Flickerdart
2011-06-13, 11:59 PM
You could just wear full plate all the time, talk like a robot and punch anyone that claims you're not really warforged.

Skeppio
2011-06-14, 12:17 AM
Locate your campaign's local Cyberman squadron. :smalltongue:

Or failing that, Savage Species had a ritual that could change your race (and from reading the other comments, so did PHB2 apparently). Might want to talk about it with your DM.

Curmudgeon
2011-06-14, 12:24 AM
How many living constructs there are, four? Or would non-living constructs also appear on such a table?
The standard Reincarnate table is for Humanoids, without regard to subtype, so I would expect a similar Construct table to not distinguish among subtypes.

IthroZada
2011-06-14, 12:41 AM
There are Construct grafts in Faiths of Eberron you can take, and I think it might tell your DM how badly you want to turn back when you start cutting off your own limbs to replace them with construct bits.

Coidzor
2011-06-14, 12:47 AM
The standard Reincarnate table is for Humanoids, without regard to subtype, so I would expect a similar Construct table to not distinguish among subtypes.

The number of constructs that are appropriate for a PC to turn into or would remain playable since golems are mindless seems like it might be a bit problematic for filling up a full table.

Iferus
2011-06-14, 07:20 AM
Or you could have a seventeenth level warforged telepath manifest True Mind Switch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mindSwitchTrue.htm) on you.

Cespenar
2011-06-14, 07:29 AM
Die and get reincarnated until you roll "Warforged"?

panaikhan
2011-06-14, 07:32 AM
I know it's probably way out there, but what about levels in Renegade Mastermaker? (PrC that turns character into living construct)

FreakyCheeseMan
2011-06-14, 09:05 AM
I do plan to have the party wake up to me screaming in rage after trying to carve a hole in my wrist for a wand sheathe. "Raaagh! This body is utterly insufficient! It's weak, it's needy, a petulant, mewling child unwilling to bear even the slightest modification!" "No! Stop hurting! You are mine and I command you!", and similiar scenery-chewing actions.

Die and get reincarnated until you roll "Warforged"?

Sadly, "Warforged" did not even appear on the chart. I had no chance of coming back as a non-fleshbag.

I know it's probably way out there, but what about levels in Renegade Mastermaker? (PrC that turns character into living construct)

I looked into that, but it won't work for this character; the PrC is ten levels long, and I'm level twelve already.

Just_Ice
2011-06-14, 10:47 AM
Just talk with your DM. If he's actively trying to keep you from being a warforged, you're kind of screwed.

Telonius
2011-06-14, 10:59 AM
Wish or Miracle are probably going to be your best options. Unfortunately Polymorph Any Object won't really do much, since the things that really make a Warforged a Warforged (mechanically speaking) are Extraordinary Special Qualities.

McSmack
2011-06-14, 11:57 AM
Do you have any portion of your old warforged body? If so then have them kill your half-orc then pay to get a ressurrection spell cast on the warforged remains. There's no stipulation that says that your soul has to return to your latest body.

Also technically speaking your DM should have used a different table or at least one more suited to the campaign setting. Or had one for living constructs.

Solaris
2011-06-14, 12:01 PM
Your character, unable to stomach life as a meatbag, commits suicide. He refuses any attempts to return him to life.
Roll up a new character.

Veyr
2011-06-14, 12:29 PM
My personal opinion is that this is bad for the game and really, were I DMing, I wouldn't have allowed it to happen. Players should never be forced to play a character they don't like, or prevented from playing a (balanced, appropriate) character that they do like. I would talk to your DM about this being 'unfun' and appeal to him to offer you some (cheap, easy) way to undo it.

Barring that, there is the option of Renegade Mastermaker (Magic of Eberron pg. 81-85), but it's a pretty meh class: 8/10 spellcasting and class features that amount to "become a Warforged and gain a Battlefist." This would be pretty flavorful (actually, frankly, it's pretty much the most awesome idea I've heard in a while), but would hurt terribly on a mechanical level.

Just noticed that the OP knows about the Renegade Mastermaker and doesn't have Magic of Eberron.

Frankly, my DM gave me the a fair number of the benefits of Renegade Mastermaker (ability to use Warforged Components) in exchange for a minor flaw (halved healing a la Warforged), and we haven't noticed any problems with that. *shrug*

Flame of Anor
2011-06-14, 04:56 PM
You could just wear full plate all the time, talk like a robot and punch anyone that claims you're not really warforged.

DO IT. It'll be like that one barbarian wizard!

Greenish
2011-06-14, 07:11 PM
Mostly because he'd've had to make one up then and there to have had one at all, I believe.There is a reincarnation table (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20051024a) that includes Eberron races. Apparently, warforged are reincarnated as members of other races, but no one will be reincarnated as one.

FreakyCheeseMan
2011-06-14, 10:03 PM
My personal opinion is that this is bad for the game and really, were I DMing, I wouldn't have allowed it to happen. Players should never be forced to play a character they don't like, or prevented from playing a (balanced, appropriate) character that they do like. I would talk to your DM about this being 'unfun' and appeal to him to offer you some (cheap, easy) way to undo it.

Barring that, there is the option of Renegade Mastermaker (Magic of Eberron pg. 81-85), but it's a pretty meh class: 8/10 spellcasting and class features that amount to "become a Warforged and gain a Battlefist." This would be pretty flavorful (actually, frankly, it's pretty much the most awesome idea I've heard in a while), but would hurt terribly on a mechanical level.

Just noticed that the OP knows about the Renegade Mastermaker and doesn't have Magic of Eberron.

Frankly, my DM gave me the a fair number of the benefits of Renegade Mastermaker (ability to use Warforged Components) in exchange for a minor flaw (halved healing a la Warforged), and we haven't noticed any problems with that. *shrug*

On the whole, my DM is pretty reasonable- actually, he's severly over-indulgent, but only when it doesn't cause him extra work, or actually violate in-game causality. So... I figure my best bet to turning back into a warforged is to have a well-researched and pre-made package to present next time I show up to a game. Throw in a bit of role-playing to get him on board with it, and cross my fingers.

Psyren
2011-06-14, 10:40 PM
Your character, unable to stomach life as a meatbag, commits suicide. He refuses any attempts to return him to life.
Roll up a new character.

This.

He can't even claim that Warforged are unbalanced since you, you know, managed to die in the first place!

FreakyCheeseMan
2011-06-15, 09:25 AM
This.

He can't even claim that Warforged are unbalanced since you, you know, managed to die in the first place!

Neh, I like the roleplaying element too much- if I just die and roll up the same character again, it'd be too cheap. And not the same.

Traveler
2011-06-15, 10:39 AM
You may want to give Ruby Ray of Reversal a look. One of it's abilities is to reverse the effect of ...
"A creature that has been polymorphed, turned to stone, or otherwise transformed from its natural state is returned to its natural form."
Now your DM may say that since you were reincarnated that this is now your natrual form, but it can be worth a shot. It's a sixth level spell out of the Spell Compendium.

Psyren
2011-06-15, 10:44 AM
Neh, I like the roleplaying element too much- if I just die and roll up the same character again, it'd be too cheap. And not the same.

Well, if you're having fun then I guess that's what counts. But you'll most likely need fiat to get out of this pickle.

McSmack
2011-06-15, 10:54 AM
Well, if you're having fun then I guess that's what counts. But you'll most likely need fiat to get out of this pickle.

Or part of his old body and a ressurection spell.

Psyren
2011-06-15, 11:48 AM
Or part of his old body and a ressurection spell.

Don't raising spells usually have some clause about left-over body parts "losing all identity, becoming inert lumps of flesh" or something along those lines? I think the idea behind that is so that you can't just keep a spare finger handy in the cleric's pouch in case you're erased from existence, or so that you can clone yourself on the cheap by keeping spare toes etc.

IthroZada
2011-06-15, 03:15 PM
You may want to give Ruby Ray of Reversal a look. One of it's abilities is to reverse the effect of ...
"A creature that has been polymorphed, turned to stone, or otherwise transformed from its natural state is returned to its natural form."
Now your DM may say that since you were reincarnated that this is now your natrual form, but it can be worth a shot. It's a sixth level spell out of the Spell Compendium.

Be careful with that one, I wouldn't want to screw my players over with this, but I'd be awfully tempted to rule that it reverses you back to being a dead warforged.