PDA

View Full Version : The Illithid Slayer and the Red Wizard on the SRD.

Hazzardevil
2011-06-12, 03:33 PM
I was wondering, why they could post the Illithid Slayer on the SRD and remove all references to Mind Flayers and not even just post the Red Wizard and just name it the Coloured Wizard or something.

So why couldn't they?

Greenish
2011-06-12, 03:39 PM
Because slayer is OGL, red wizard isn't. :smalltongue:

Veyr
2011-06-12, 03:40 PM
I was wondering, why they could post the Illithid Slayer on the SRD and remove all references to Mind Flayers and not even just post the Red Wizard and just name it the Coloured Wizard or something.

So why couldn't they?
Wizards released the first System Resource Document; every other copy of it is just a re-organization of what they put in the original. The Slayer was included in Wizards' SRD; some variation on Red Wizard was not.

Hazzardevil
2011-06-12, 03:43 PM
Wizards released the first System Resource Document; every other copy of it is just a re-organization of what they put in the original. The Slayer was included in Wizards' SRD; some variation on Red Wizard was not.

I understand now.

Because slayer is OGL, red wizard isn't. :smalltongue:

So, does it say on the red wizard that it isn't OGL compared to everything else?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-06-12, 03:56 PM
That is cause the (Ilithid) Slayer can work well* while cutting the references of Mindflayers (which aren't OGL products); but the Red Wizard of Thay are intrinsically tied to the Forgotten Realms and can't work if you take out such references. Or at least that is how I see it.

*In my opinion the Slayer is much better than the Illithid Slayer, as it doesn't locks you againt Illithid and the pre-requisites become much easier.

Hazzardevil
2011-06-12, 04:17 PM
That is cause the (Ilithid) Slayer can work well* while cutting the references of Mindflayers (which aren't OGL products); but the Red Wizard of Thay are intrinsically tied to the Forgotten Realms and can't work if you take out such references. Or at least that is how I see it.

*In my opinion the Slayer is much better than the Illithid Slayer, as it doesn't locks you againt Illithid and the pre-requisites become much easier.

True about the whole not needing to kill a Mind Flayer. But what else in DND eats Brains form living beings and has other similer abilitys?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-06-12, 04:22 PM
Some people argue that any creature with Swallow Whole, is by extension eating your brain so yeah :smalltongue:

But the good abilites is the divination immunity (IRC only the 9thv level seer power can breach it) and the selective mindblank, so you can get mind affecting bonus such as the ones from Bardic music.

Greenish
2011-06-12, 04:24 PM
So, does it say on the red wizard that it isn't OGL compared to everything else?No, it says in OGL which parts of the system fall into it and which ones do not, and red wizards belong to the latter category.