PDA

View Full Version : Building a decent Soulknife with tashalatora

NullShadow
2011-06-12, 08:03 PM
Hey guys, I am working on a Klashtar soul Knife, so far im seeing him at level 20 as 1 soulknife, 2 monk, 1 spirit lion totem barbarian, and then finish off as soulknife.

Flavor wise, he is going to be charging around the walls with speed of thought and up the walls smacking people in the face, but what else can i do for him(without going too overboard) its a relativity low powered campaign we're going to be runinng and im just looking for input.

Oh and by the way i have 2 flaws and one Trait: quick

please and thank you :smallsmile:

Edit on revision, it seems i need a manifesting class as well :smallmad:
still... any help would be welcome

Cog
2011-06-12, 08:11 PM
You'll need to pick up Hidden Talent a couple of times to actually qualify; there's an ACF (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a) to cover that. If you have access to Dragon Magazine, there's a feat (Shape Soulblade, IIRC) that lets you shape your 'blade into an unarmed strike, getting you both sets of benefits all rolled together.

Veyr
2011-06-12, 08:15 PM
I'm afraid there is no such thing as a decent Soulknife, Tashalatora or not, unless you're taking Soulbow (which does not really work with Tashalatora). It simply cannot be done.

NullShadow
2011-06-12, 08:27 PM
Another question then, can tashalatora be taken multiple times?

NullShadow
2011-06-12, 08:52 PM
Thanks cog, reshape mind blade looks like it will work, though ill have to run it by my Dm fires and foremost

Edit: first

Cog
2011-06-12, 09:43 PM
From the description of how feats work:

If a character has the same feat more than once, its benefits do not stack unless indicated otherwise in the description.

erikun
2011-06-12, 10:02 PM
Give the Pathfinder Soulknife (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/soulknife) a try. That soulknife is also improved by prestige classes that improve manifesting classes, so a DM with a liberal interpretation might allow Tashalatora soulknives.

Then again, that soulknife is pretty good by itself, and may not need the monk bonuses all that much.

How are you planning on flipping from a 3rd level Soulknife/Monk to a 4th level Soulknife/Monk/Barbarian?

NullShadow
2011-06-12, 11:08 PM
this line has been Deleted

NullShadow
2011-06-12, 11:09 PM
By Raw (as far as i can tell) after i take the 1 level in monk if my alignment changes to chaotic, i do not lose any of the bonuses from my monk level, and i can freely cross class into barbarian. that is, unless i am mistaken and after that i think i will go for Fist of the Forest prestiege class somewhere on the way to level 20

Edit: I am not a big number cruncher or rules guru if you haven't noticed :smalltongue: And the campaign is 3.5 only

Keld Denar
2011-06-12, 11:13 PM
Because Tash keys off the class you have Monastic Training for, I'd imagine you could take Monastic Training twice for two different classes, then take Tash twice, keying it off each class similar to how you can take Weapon Focus multiple times, each time applying it to another weapon.

Cog
2011-06-12, 11:19 PM
I'd imagine you could take Monastic Training twice for two different classes...
No, you'd run into the problem I quoted earlier (PHB 89, if you want a dead tree reference). Weapon Focus has a specific exception, as do many similar feats, but neither Training nor Tash do.

NullShadow
2011-06-12, 11:20 PM
Normally i would say its a waste of 2 feat slots, however, there could be some interesting uses for that

Edit: well if thats true(man i wish i had the actual book that its in) then oh well

Psyren
2011-06-12, 11:26 PM
Tashalatora does work with Soulknife because it is (technically) a psionic class.

But I would definitely go with erikun's suggestion instead. The Pathfinder Soulknife works perfectly fine in 3.5 and kicks serious ass.

NullShadow
2011-06-12, 11:29 PM
alright, now my final question before i dedicate myself to pathfinders' version, does tashalatora give you the monk's speed progression?

Edit: i am only asking because the theme of the character is to be making full attacks after runing around walls all the while tumbling to avoind AOO

Cog
2011-06-12, 11:32 PM
By forum rules, we're not really supposed to get into the full lists of what feats do if they aren't available from free sources. Tash might not advance all the Monk features you want, though.

NullShadow
2011-06-12, 11:34 PM
ah, my bad. Then i guess i will bring up the thought of pathfinder's soulknife up to my DM,. And thanks for the heads up

Veyr
2011-06-12, 11:37 PM
The Monk gets just about nothing meaningful that Tashalatora doesn't advance, though. That much I'm pretty sure we can say.

NullShadow
2011-06-12, 11:43 PM
i was mainly going for an extremely mobile character, hence the monk progression

Veyr
2011-06-12, 11:48 PM
A Monk is not particularly mobile. Flurry of Blows forces you to stand still.

For mobile, your only real options are Tome of Battle initiators, or some kind of caster. Everything else relies on full-attacks too much.

NullShadow
2011-06-12, 11:50 PM
Even with pounce from The Lion Spirit totem?

MeeposFire
2011-06-12, 11:56 PM
I like it with soulbow as you can be mobile since archers have decent standard actions (manyshot line) and you can easily get lots of full attacks and with tashalatora you can get penaltyless flurry for two extra attacks comboed with imp rapid shot to give you a ton of extra attacks. Technically you could add two weapon fighting too that but it would probably be overkill and would strain your feats too far. Since your standard actions are not terrible you can still maneuver around the battlefield.

EDIT: Pounce helps but it won't fix all the problems.

Veyr
2011-06-13, 12:00 AM
Even with pounce from The Lion Spirit totem?
As Meepos says, it helps but doesn't do everything. Charging is really a very specific and limited form of movement that does not scream mobility to me (unless you take every feat, skill trick, and magic item you can get your hands on that allow you to turn during charges, jump during charges, ignore difficult terrain while charging, etc. etc.).

A better solution (and one which fits in nicely with a Monk) is a Cleric dip for Travel Devotion. This is still quite limited though.

NullShadow
2011-06-13, 12:14 AM
Soulbow looks nice, but i just got the full picture in my head of what i'd like out of the Character.

15 soulknife, 1 monk, 3 Fist of the Forest, 1 Lion Spirit totem Barbarian.

Feats are
Flaw feats: Monastic training(soulknife) speed of thought
level 1: up the walls
level 3: Power attack,
Level 6: Great Fortitude
Level 8: Martial Study(Counter Charge)
Level 9: Reshape mindblade(fist or Gauntlet)
Level 12: Practiced Mindblade, Martial Stance (Step of the Wind)
Level 15: Strategic reassignment
Level 16: Run
Level 18:Tatical reassignment
Level 20: fleet of foot

Edit: What about grabbing that stance from TOB that allows you to ignore difficult terrain? oh and i took the variant so instead of psychic strike, i get combat or psionic feats.

Remember this is a sub optimized campaign