PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone else here do this, or know someone who does?

druid91
2011-06-12, 09:13 PM
See, I have had it pointed out to me that being able to use my feet as somewhat clumsy psuedo-hands is not normal. Particularly when I'm opening doors with one while standing on one leg and carrying plates of hot food.:smalltongue:

Yes I was bragging a bit there.

So can anyone else here do this? What's it called?

LaZodiac
2011-06-12, 09:21 PM
I do it occasionaly. For instance, holding a book in my feet while writing the details of the book to a friend, and other such things.

Nageto004
2011-06-12, 09:25 PM
I do this a lot, mostly when I'm carrying laundry down the stairs.

bluewind95
2011-06-12, 09:26 PM
I once took the sleeve off of a straw and inserted the straw into its carton before grabbing it and getting it to my hands. (I had JUST washed my feet, btw). I have typed and written (obviously not TOO well). And I lift things that I can physically hold with my feet easily. And yes, I can open doors with my feet, too. Tis a matter of practice!

Dogmantra
2011-06-12, 09:28 PM
There are people that don't use their feet as proto-hands?

golentan
2011-06-12, 09:29 PM
Wait, that's not normal? Then why do you people have toes. YOUR BIOLOGY MAKES NO SENSE!!!

Yes, I can most definitely open a door one footed. I also commonly use them to hold books and turn pages while reading. I thought this was normal.

Draconi Redfir
2011-06-12, 09:30 PM
dont think useing your foot to open doors is abnormal if your not waring a shoue. just curl your toes around the knob and twist.

That said i have used my toes to pick up objects such as pens of such up off the floor.

Traab
2011-06-12, 09:31 PM
I can open doors, hold open books, pick things up off the floor so i dont have to bend down. But nothing that requires fine motor control really. I cant write with my feet, ive never actually tried to type with my feet before. Seems like it would be awkward, since im a two finger typer who looks at the keyboard.

CrimsonAngel
2011-06-12, 09:32 PM
Every morning I jab blindly at my computer's on switch with my big toe.

Partof1
2011-06-12, 09:46 PM
I pick things up and open cupboards and drawers by the handle, but I've never turned doorknobs.

My family has remarked on an odd bump on the tops of my feet. The bone just stick out a little bit in the centre, before the toes seperate bones are notable.

It doesn't cause any issues I'm aware of, but I wonder what would cause an aesthetic anomaly like that.

CrimsonAngel
2011-06-12, 09:48 PM
I pick things up and open cupboards and drawers by the handle, but I've never turned doorknobs.

My family has remarked on an odd bump on the tops of my feet. The bone just stick out a little bit in the centre, before the toes seperate bones are notable.

It doesn't cause any issues I'm aware of, but I wonder what would cause an aesthetic anomaly like that.

Alien implants. :smallsigh:

Marnath
2011-06-12, 09:52 PM
I pick stuff up with my feet all the time. Like sheets of paper and pens, anything that's light enough to pick up.

Whiffet
2011-06-12, 09:55 PM
I use feet as pseudo-hands, as well, mostly for picking things up from the floor. I've also had people tell me it's weird. I'm willing to bet they've done it, too.

rayne_dragon
2011-06-12, 10:41 PM
I can open doors with my feet too. Mostly I do it when my hands are full and I don't want to put what I'm holding down. I don't do it as much as I used to for some reason.

Haruki-kun
2011-06-12, 11:05 PM
Wait, that's not normal? Then why do you people have toes. YOUR BIOLOGY MAKES NO SENSE!!!

Actually, I was under the impression that toes are mostly for balance? :smallconfused:

AsteriskAmp
2011-06-12, 11:14 PM
I'm learning to play piano with my feet, I suck horribly though.
I can use them as pseudo hands to a decent degree, picking things up, turning pages, typing to a rudimentary degree. Everyone in my family can, I always assumed it was normal.

Cyrion
2011-06-13, 09:36 AM
I've always used my feet for picking things up or manipulating them. I used to be able to tie shoes with my feet (obviously, not my own), though I haven't done that in ages.

Never viewed it as abnormal until my wife looked at me with the wierdest look one day when I got excited and clapped with them.

Thufir
2011-06-13, 09:41 AM
I sometimes use my feet for things, but I couldn't turn doorknobs or door handles with them. Not because I lack the dexterity with my feet, but because they're too high up the door.

Asta Kask
2011-06-13, 09:42 AM
You people are FREAKS!!!

:smallsmile:

DeadManSleeping
2011-06-13, 10:43 AM
I've never known it to be particularly difficult to do any of those things. However, I can imagine that few people are aware of their ability to do them, simply because they've never had cause to try.

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-13, 11:04 AM
I think you are describing prehensile feet. I have feet like that too, although my balance is a little iffy sometimes so I generally use them when I'm sitting down on my futon writing stuff.

Eldan
2011-06-13, 03:38 PM
Well, my balance is horrible (I can stand on one leg for all of about two seconds), but yeah, I do it if I have something to lean against or grab on to. Mostly for picking stuff up.

Tyndmyr
2011-06-13, 04:02 PM
So can anyone else here do this? What's it called?

Not a clue what it's called, but I can do it. Mostly stopped while a kid though, as I was told it wasn't normal. It's still quite comfortable for me to pick things up, etc, with my feet though, even if it isn't something I do any longer.

Perhaps it's a throwback to monkey ancestry and the like? *shrug* Or perhaps just something you pick up if you have good balance, I dunno.

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-13, 04:40 PM
Not a clue what it's called, but I can do it. Mostly stopped while a kid though, as I was told it wasn't normal. It's still quite comfortable for me to pick things up, etc, with my feet though, even if it isn't something I do any longer.

Perhaps it's a throwback to monkey ancestry and the like? *shrug* Or perhaps just something you pick up if you have good balance, I dunno.

*Ahem* I said it is called prehensile feet two posts ago.

Nameless Ghost
2011-06-13, 04:54 PM
There are people that don't use their feet as proto-hands?
My thoughts exactly.

Seffbasilisk
2011-06-14, 02:38 AM
I used to pick things up with my bare feet.

Playing soccer taught me not to use my hands, and bathrooms in highschool taught me to open doors with my (shoed) feet.

College taught me to use my feet even further. That is, when you're not wearing shoes (you get drawn on, if you fall asleep with shoes on), and are at the point where standing up is a questionable choice, you find your legs are longer than your arms...

Eldan
2011-06-14, 03:10 AM
Actually, I was under the impression that toes are mostly for balance? :smallconfused:

Pretty much. Most people don't walk barefoot often anymore, but even with shoes, toes are important for walking. You basically grab the ground with them.

rakkoon
2011-06-14, 03:48 AM
Picking up socks, pencils and stuff like that with my toes is standard. I was the only one at my house who did that though

onthetown
2011-06-14, 09:13 PM
I use my foot to close doors behind me when my arms are full and to kick my car in frustration when I don't have a heavy object nearby.

Talent. :smallamused:

Zeb The Troll
2011-06-15, 01:08 AM
All you people reading books with your feet need to get to an eye doctor, pronto. :smallcool:

Really, though. I wear glasses and get my eyes checked semi regularly. Having the book farther away from my eyes than my bellybutton just doesn't work.

Form
2011-06-15, 04:19 AM
I just pick small, easily grabbable things off the floor with my feet on rare occasion. I thought everyone was capable of doing that. It's handy!

Zigg'rrauglurr
2011-06-16, 08:34 PM
Taking into account all of us who use our feet as proto-hands. The people who say this is not normal, are the abnormal :smalltongue:

Actually is as someone else posted, most people never thought of doing that, and when seeing this act, consider it abnormal behaviour. It's a skill, like using our tongues or hands for delicate actions. (Like speaking or painting, you dirty minded people)

thubby
2011-06-16, 08:43 PM
i tend to go almost everywhere barefoot, so while i can do a lot of this stuff, they're rarely sanitary enough.

Ricky S
2011-06-17, 09:32 AM
I doubt that there is a person alive who at one time or another hasnt used his/her feet to pick up or manipulate some sort of object. (barring of course those people who have no feet and those who are physically unable to use them).

I watched this one documentary about a woman with no arms. She could do everything with her feet. She would change her kids nappies and cook and clean. It was amazing to watch. I am sure everyone could reach that level of competency if they had enough practise.

Syka
2011-06-17, 09:43 AM
My toes freak people out. If I'm wearing sandals (which I normally am), I'll usually take them off at some point and stretch my toes- which is where people get weirded out. It wasn't until a few years ago I realized not everyone's toes were as flexible as mine.

I don't use them for stuff that much, unless I'm being lazy or my hands are full or something. But I do do it, and it is far easier for me than, say, my boyfriend (his feet/toes are definitely not as flexible).

Does this carry over into other parts of anyone else's body? I find the oddest positions comfortable and for someone who almost never stretches and is out of shape, I'm ridiculously flexible.

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-17, 04:50 PM
Does this carry over into other parts of anyone else's body? I find the oddest positions comfortable and for someone who almost never stretches and is out of shape, I'm ridiculously flexible.

What, like reading and/or sleeping with one's legs stretched up the wall? I do that all the time.

That reminds me of the time I got footprints beside the light switch 'cause I stepped in a coal bucket. They're still slightly visible.

Heliomance
2011-06-17, 05:19 PM
This post was entirely typed with my feet. It was slow.

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-17, 05:31 PM
This post was entirely typed with my feet. It was slow.

Note to self: never try to type with your feet on an e-book reader.