PDA

View Full Version : [3.PF] Martial Study Question

maysarahs
2011-06-12, 10:07 PM
Does anyone know how Martial study works on non initiator classes? I am wondering if it would be a good idea to put some on a Magus I am building.

What restrictions are there on maneuvers I can/cannot take? Will I be able to refresh them so I can use them more than once? What does the level (eg. "Swordsage 2") indicate?

Any other advice is always appreciated. Thank you, playground, for your help!

tyckspoon
2011-06-12, 10:10 PM
For a non-initiating class, your initiator level is 1/2 your HD. You have no active recovery method, so your maneuvers acquired through Martial Study are 1/encounter- they will refresh themselves automatically after 5 minutes. The levels denote a minimum Initiator Level required to select the maneuver in addition to any other prereqs noted; they follow the same progression as a Wizard's spell-level access (so Maneuver Level 1 requires IL 1, Maneuver Level 2 requires IL 3, Maneuver Level 3 requires IL 5, and so on.)

gbprime
2011-06-12, 10:16 PM
Initiator level is 1/2 character level. So you'd need to be level 6 to use a 2nd level maneuver, level 10 to use a 3rd level maneuver, 14th for a 4th level maneuver, and 18th for a 5th level. You get the maneuver once per encounter, and cannot recover it and use it a second time without buying the Sudden Recovery feat.

Shadow Jaunt and Shadow Stride are quite nice pickups for any character who cannot otherwise Dimension Door, and some of the low level maneuvers age well, like Burning Blade or Foehammer.

And if you take Martial Study, then purchasing a matching Martial Stance with another feat can be quite useful.

Lateral
2011-06-12, 10:16 PM
If you have no levels in an initiator class, your IL for the feat is 1/2 character level, You may take maneuvers and stances as if you were an initiator (Warblade/Crusader/Swordsage) of 1/2 your total character level; you gain one maneuver for each time you take Martial Study, and since you lack a recovery mechanic they are once per encounter.

So, to answer the questions you listed:

You may take any maneuver that your IL (1/2 character level) qualifies you for; if you take the feat at 6th level, for example, your IL for it is 3 and you may take up to a 2nd level maneuver, as long as you meet the prerequisites.
Without at least a dip in an initiator class, you have no recovery mechanic and so these maneuvers are usable 1/encounter.
The level just indicates the level of the maneuver or stance (1-9), and which classes are capable of taking them (which is not relevant to the discussion since you're taking the maneuver through the feat anyway.)