PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing Wizard Damage

pegase
2011-06-13, 12:27 AM
Let's say I have a level 20 wizard pre-optimized for the following task: he must deal as much damage as possible within one of his rounds (meaning no time-stop), and he cannot have prepared for this encounter earlier (no contingencies, grenade-tricks, unleash-20-spells-at-once tricks, and by God no chain gating solars). Assume all die are maximized to determine how powerful the spell is. Use only spells listed under d20srd.org. Metamagic feats permitted. Cheeses outside of those listed above also permitted.

Also, do this for a psion 20 if you're willing. ;D

As a side note, I'm trying to convince my DM to let me play a penguin druid, because apparently druids are tier 1 and cheap so I am going to compensate by playing a penguin. What do you think? Where do I start? I don't know how I'm going to pull a PC penguin off with all the stats and stuff.

sonofzeal
2011-06-13, 12:59 AM
I think the Psion can get theoretically infinite damage, at a fairly low level, via Forced Share Pain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/sharePainForced.htm), but it requires a feedback loop and, while portable, that can take a few rounds to set up. The Wizard can do it too, but not Core as far as I am aware.

Do you allow non-core metamagics, like Split Ray or Fell Draining?

WinWin
2011-06-13, 01:03 AM
I can't find the spell i am looking for...

Breach Portal or something. Allows you to stand on the threshold of a custom genesis plane (or any other plane with a variable time trait). You benefit from the conditions of the plane while actually being present in another. Kind of like Planar Shepard...

So yeah, no Time Stop, but busts action economy.

pegase
2011-06-13, 01:44 AM
Well, I'm allowing only the metamagics listed on d20srd.org. Also, I'm curious as to the forced share pain loop. Care to explain?

sonofzeal
2011-06-13, 09:46 AM
Do you remember the Omniscificer trick of dealing infinite damage to yourself for fun and profit?

Three minion/summons/allies have a network of Share Pain up. Then, you link one of them to the enemy via Forced Share Pain. If all can manifest, or you have Psi Tattoos around, this only takes two rounds, and lasts for hours. You could theoretically set it up in the middle of combat, just remember to Forced Share Pain first.

Any damage inside the network instantly hits a feedback loop. If one of them takes 8 damage, that's reduced to 4 but the other two take a combined 8, and the cycle perpetuates infinitely, instantly annihilating all three... as well as whatever they're Forced Share Pain'd with. Lulz are had by all. Except the four little piles of ash.

erikun
2011-06-13, 10:08 AM
The Mailman (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19868534/The_Mailman:_A_Direct_Damage_Sorcerer) would be worth looking into. Note that this is one time where the Sorcerer beats the Wizard, because you can choose an appropriate damage type on the fly. Wizards need to prepare all their metamagic'd spells beforehand, which frequently means relying on force, acid, or sonic to avoid common resistances/immunities.

It still has several good recommendations, even if you aren't working with Incantatrix, Twin Spell, or the Orb line.

Urpriest
2011-06-13, 10:46 AM
The Mailman (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19868534/The_Mailman:_A_Direct_Damage_Sorcerer) would be worth looking into. Note that this is one time where the Sorcerer beats the Wizard, because you can choose an appropriate damage type on the fly. Wizards need to prepare all their metamagic'd spells beforehand, which frequently means relying on force, acid, or sonic to avoid common resistances/immunities.

It still has several good recommendations, even if you aren't working with Incantatrix, Twin Spell, or the Orb line.

With zero metamagic reducers the Mailman comes in kind of weak though. (Despite the fact that we're all given a free +3 metamagic because this challenge is poorly designed). I'd probably go for something more indirect: Shrink Item and/or Telekinesis and/or Shapechange cheese.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-06-13, 11:08 AM
I like the Explosive Rune Bomb trick; but it requires set up; so it might not be ok for this challenge.

Kalaska'Agathas
2011-06-13, 11:29 AM
By combining the Mad Minute trick and the Psionic Dreadnought trick a Psion could conceivably get nigh-infinite standard actions and nigh-infinite power points, all while being nigh untouchable. The tricks, for your perusal:

The Mad Minute-
The Mad Minute uses Temporal Acceleration, Fission, Affinity Field, and Synchronicity to effectively grant you infinite standard actions, at least until you run out of power points (remember never to go so low that you can't manifest an augmented Bestow Power to recharge).
Feats:
Powers: Affinity Field, Fission, Synchronicity, Temporal Acceleration
Method:
1. Manifest Temporal Acceleration as a swift action for at least 3 rounds
A. Manifest Fission as your Standard Action for Temporal Acceleration round 1
B. Fissioned copy manifests Affinity Field
C. Fissioned copy manifests Synchronicity, augmented to 3 PP, which effects you both (via Affinity Field)
2. You use your standard action from Synchronicity to do as you will, your Fissioned Copy uses its standard action to manifest Synchronicity, repeat from 2.
Minimum Level: 17

The Psionic Dreadnought-
The Psionic Dreadnought uses Affinity Field, two (or more) 3rd level (or higher) thralls or followers, Bestow Power, Telekinetic Sphere, Solicit Psicrystal, and Burrowing Power to become the psionic equivalent of the USS Iowa.
Powers: Affinity Field, Bestow Power, Telekinetic Sphere, Solicit Psicrystal
Feats: Burrowing Power, Leadership
Classes: Thrallherd
Method:
1. Acquire followers or thralls
2. Manifest Telekinetic Sphere, surrounding yourself and your minions
3. Manifest Affinity Field
4. Manifest, using Burrowing Power, through your Telekinetic Sphere (Psicraft DC 31), raining death upon your enemies
5. Have your minions manifest Bestow Power on you, netting them 1 PP each (2 per manifestation, shared by Affinity Field) and you 4 PP
Minimum Level: 17

Do note that this means they could effectively deal nigh-infinite damage by combining these two tricks, and all in the space of one (rather long) round. Of course, it requires a couple of rounds to set up (ok, three, with the trick starting on round three), but if you drop your Telekinetic Sphere around you and your thralls, then you're basically untouchable for the next two rounds, in which you are "a chargin' your lazors."

pegase
2011-06-13, 12:53 PM
I can't find synchronicity, so I'm afraid I have no idea what it does.

Kalaska'Agathas
2011-06-13, 12:59 PM
I can't find synchronicity, so I'm afraid I have no idea what it does.

Ah, right, that's in Complete Psionic isn't it...Synchronicity basically allows you to take an extra standard action. Or rather, it lets you ready an action, but when augmented it is essentially an extra standard action.

gbprime
2011-06-13, 01:08 PM
I can't find the spell i am looking for...

Breach Portal or something. Allows you to stand on the threshold of a custom genesis plane (or any other plane with a variable time trait). You benefit from the conditions of the plane while actually being present in another. Kind of like Planar Shepard...

So yeah, no Time Stop, but busts action economy.

You thinking of Planar Bubble (Spell Compendium)? That would work provided that the wizard (A) makes or finds the perfect "magic is superior, time is mine" demiplane and then (B) somehow makes themselves a native of that plane.

So the next question is... what spell could you use to make yourself a native of that demiplane? (And we'd like to avoid "wish" if we could.)

dextercorvia
2011-06-13, 01:26 PM
You thinking of Planar Bubble (Spell Compendium)? That would work provided that the wizard (A) makes or finds the perfect "magic is superior, time is mine" demiplane and then (B) somehow makes themselves a native of that plane.

So the next question is... what spell could you use to make yourself a native of that demiplane? (And we'd like to avoid "wish" if we could.)

If the perfect plane also has an alignment descriptor, then: There's a Soulmeld For That. (TM)

ffone
2011-06-13, 02:07 PM
Let's say I have a level 20 wizard pre-optimized for the following task: he must deal as much damage as possible within one of his rounds (meaning no time-stop), and he cannot have prepared for this encounter earlier (no contingencies, grenade-tricks, unleash-20-spells-at-once tricks, and by God no chain gating solars). Assume all die are maximized to determine how powerful the spell is. Use only spells listed under d20srd.org. Metamagic feats permitted. Cheeses outside of those listed above also permitted.

Also, do this for a psion 20 if you're willing. ;D

As a side note, I'm trying to convince my DM to let me play a penguin druid, because apparently druids are tier 1 and cheap so I am going to compensate by playing a penguin. What do you think? Where do I start? I don't know how I'm going to pull a PC penguin off with all the stats and stuff.

While humorous, being a penguin isn't much of a drawback if you're a druid, since a Natural Spell druid of mid/high level can and should spend most of their time WSed into a preferred animal form anyway (usually something that can fly, or something that's a powerful attacker, like (dire) lions and tigers for pounce, or a primate when you need opposable thumbs).

Also you'll be immune to Charm/Hold/Dominate Person (and -Animal, since you'll be a Magical Beast - I assume this penguin is awakened i.e. has Int 3+).

Urpriest
2011-06-13, 04:40 PM
While humorous, being a penguin isn't much of a drawback if you're a druid, since a Natural Spell druid of mid/high level can and should spend most of their time WSed into a preferred animal form anyway (usually something that can fly, or something that's a powerful attacker, like (dire) lions and tigers for pounce, or a primate when you need opposable thumbs).

Also you'll be immune to Charm/Hold/Dominate Person (and -Animal, since you'll be a Magical Beast - I assume this penguin is awakened i.e. has Int 3+).

Not necessarily. If the player is doing this as a handicap then since, as you say, merely being penguin-shaped means nothing for a Druid, perhaps the OP intends to have a penguin intelligence as well. They would only take actions in combat when the other players succeed at handle animal checks. I could see this being a viable nerf for the Druid. :smallbiggrin:

pegase
2011-06-14, 02:46 PM
Not necessarily. If the player is doing this as a handicap then since, as you say, merely being penguin-shaped means nothing for a Druid, perhaps the OP intends to have a penguin intelligence as well. They would only take actions in combat when the other players succeed at handle animal checks. I could see this being a viable nerf for the Druid. :smallbiggrin:

That's an interesting prospect. And if they fail I guess my penguin druid does whatever the hell it wants, which from the roleplayer perspective means I can be as much of a **** as I want.

ffone
2011-06-14, 05:02 PM
That's an interesting prospect. And if they fail I guess my penguin druid does whatever the hell it wants, which from the roleplayer perspective means I can be as much of a **** as I want.

There's really no way to play an Int 2 creature without metagaming (or radically crippling gyourself - I.e. you will metagame I am sure) , especially as a spellcaster. Using tactical thinking with all those druidic battlefield control spells? Choosing and using specific magic items? Spell preparation choices? Even with others making HA checks, you're using your own human faculties to make decisions for your penguin. It's a faux handicap.

Wings of Peace
2011-06-14, 05:04 PM
Why not just use the good ol' Locate City bomb (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72212)?

Misread the OP

pegase
2011-06-18, 12:36 AM
It's a faux handicap.

To be honest, while this is true, the D&D system is so breakable that any character who isn't maxing their tier-1 spellcasters right off the bat has already imposed a "faux handicap" on themselves. But, of course, not all of us do this.

I feel like casting haphazardly as a penguin, while not a true handicap, can be managed from a roleplaying perspective, if the above can also be managed.