PDA

View Full Version : Weather Flavoured Buffer/Debuffer

Girshtop
2011-06-13, 01:33 AM
Hey guys,

I've been thinking for my next character I would like to create a spell caster that casts almost exclusively weather-related spells (i.e. Obscuring Mist, Call Lightning, etc.)

Is there a class like this out there? I've looked at the PrC Stormcaster in Stormwrack, but since the games I play in usually begin at earlier levels, is there a specific class that has a spell list like what I'm looking for, or is Druid the best option?

Which weather spells are effective at buffing/debuffing? (I like support classes over pure blasters/damage dealers.)

Lastly, would my party hate me for the weather conditions that I would create? I know heavy winds aren't favourable for archers, and no fighter likes obscuring mist.. Is there anything I could do to minimize the harmful effects I'd have on the party?

Thanks in advance.

Zaq
2011-06-13, 01:40 AM
The Druid list is what you're after, but I think a Spirit Shaman would be better than a straight Druid. There are a few weather-themed PrCs out there (Stormlord, Stormcaster, what have you), but they're only rarely worth it. If you're high enough level, dipping Contemplative for the Windstorm domain (or just using the Catalogues of Enlightenment for its granted power) is probably worth it.

I don't know about the whole buffer/debuffer thing, though. Weather spells are best at hardcore BfC, or at straight killitude. There are a few buffs and debuffs, but nowhere near as many as you might like.

Serpentine
2011-06-13, 01:45 AM
Aside from creative spell selection for Druid or Sorcerer/Wizard and refluffing, I don't have much advice for you. If you like, though, I could try homebrewing a weather-druid along the lines of my Magma and Plant Druids. I'd need interest for motivation, though...

Psyren
2011-06-13, 08:24 AM
Shugenja also get a decent number of nature spells, especially if you give them Spell Compendium. I recommend Druids though.

FMArthur
2011-06-13, 09:32 AM
There's a 3rd level spell in the Spell Compendium called Corpse Candle or something that you can use to totally negate miss chances. Perhaps you can use it with fog-based spells. Wizards get plenty of powerful fog effects and massive battlefield control stuff like that; if you're into large battlefield control effects that are not blasting, I think just being a Wizard or Sorcerer is what you need instead of Druid; specialize in Conjuration.

There's a feat called Spell Thematics somewhere that you can use to refluff spells you cast to be in line with a particular ongoing spellcasting theme, such as wind and weather. It increases the Spellcraft DC for identifying your spells as well.

Girshtop
2011-06-13, 05:04 PM
So I've been looking through the Spell compendium, and I was just thinking about creating a new class entirely, and just asking the DM if it would be cool. Would it be overpowered to allow this class to cast spells from both divine and arcane lists? All of the spells on his would have to be weather related. Plus I may add some healing over time spells (like vigor, not cures) due to the fact that he would be primarily a support character.

As class abilities he would probably get the Weather Eye spell from Spell Compendium or an ability to more accurately predict and possibly change (via raindance, etc.) the weather using the survival skill, maybe some elemental (Air or Water only) summons a couple times per day, and later in levels he would be able to change to an elemental form (again, Air or Water only). He may even be able to grant allies bonuses to avoid the effects of his aoe debuffs, like obscuring mist.

Thoughts? This is my first time even attempting to create a new class, so any help is appreciated.

Greenish
2011-06-13, 06:39 PM
Bard is what you want, obviously, with Stormsinger (Frostburn).

Girshtop
2011-06-18, 12:58 AM
So I took the time and actually attempted to homebrew my own class. Named it the Stormwatcher, he's completely weather based, focusing on debuffing his enemies while healing his allies with the vigor spells. Any help would be appreciated if anyone wants to take a look at the class - the link is in my sig. Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions already, they were very helpful while creating the class.

Serpentine
2011-06-18, 01:10 AM
Would it be overpowered to allow this class to cast spells from both divine and arcane lists? All of the spells on his would have to be weather related.Just create a whole new spell list from wherever you like, and make it arcane or divine whichever you wish.

Fax Celestis
2011-06-18, 11:57 AM
Don't forget the Spell Thematics feat!