PDA

View Full Version : Quickend Spell question

Johnny H
2011-06-13, 06:24 AM
Do Quickened Spells have verbal and somatic components? Can they be cast when one's hands are tied and/or he is in a Silenced are?

JohnDaBarr
2011-06-13, 06:52 AM
Well to be honest I'm not sure....

but in my experience, quicken doesn't have any components because you cast it as a swift action and you are not require to do or say anything (maybe you just need to point your finger to the target and the spell is on its way).

still I might be wrong.......

JohnDaBarr
2011-06-13, 06:53 AM
Well to be honest I'm not sure....

but in my experience, quicken doesn't have any components because you cast it as a swift action and you are not require to do or say anything (maybe you just need to point your finger to the target and the spell is on its way).

still I might be wrong.......

lol double post

btw... my DM house ruled that with quicken your spells work without any components simply because if you cast it as a swift/free action in you round its impossible, unrealistic and mad to think someone can wave his hands, say the words and pull something out of his components pouch in a split second time.

Seharvepernfan
2011-06-13, 07:49 AM
The book doesnt say that they lose any components.

I've played characters who've casted stilled, silent, quickened spells.

DonDuckie
2011-06-13, 07:50 AM
I too am not sure...

But I would argue spells keep their components, mostly because it doesn't say otherwise.

Reasoning: the feat Quicken Spell simplyfies the components needed in order to cast the spell faster, a snap of the fingers and saying "boo". For material components, it's a little trickier, what I would do is pull a handfull of "components" from my component pouch and let the spell use what it needs, but it's not something we track in the games I play in, the spell just sort of takes it from the pouch.

sreservoir
2011-06-13, 02:20 PM
quicken does not affect components, only casting time.

Ravens_cry
2011-06-13, 02:25 PM
Quickened by RAW still has the components. But in-universe, I would assume they would take a different form. Instead of an elaborate gesture, a single wave of the hand. Instead of a lyrical chant, one note, with material components appearing in ones hands.

myancey
2011-06-13, 06:25 PM
Yeah, it still has all of its components. The only item adjusted by quicken is the casting time.

You can stereotypically assume that if a rule doesn't specify changes to other rules, you don't have to worry about it.