PDA

View Full Version : Golem Crafter

Rosleaw
2011-06-13, 10:00 AM
Hello everibody, i'm trying to build a golem crafter. I tough starting with some levels in artificer (it seems obviusly why :smallsmile: ) and using a gnome race or something like that. Any help, people?

Coidzor
2011-06-14, 01:09 AM
Artificer handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872330/Artificer_Handbook_%28rough_draft%29) has some thoughts on the Hordeficer/golemficer build, which starts out as another type or with homunculi before it can start building actual golems, as well as artificers in general.

The Mechonomicon (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=rvvrpp85mfqnaqt9g1f74vbti0&topic=177.0)is an attempt to compile a list of the buildable constructs and when they become available and then create a ranking of them.

What all do you wanna do other than having golem minions?

What sources do you have available to use?

Aharon
2011-06-14, 02:10 AM
What's your starting level? At low levels, Golems are rather expensive. At higher levels, consider creating them as Intelligent Items, if your DM allows you to do so.*

If you start at very low levels, you might want to consider playing a dragonmarked character. In the sourcebook on dragonmarked (aptly named "Dragonmarked"), there's an infusion that lets you summon a homunculus, 1st level. It's not too great powerwise, but fits well with your fluff, and you can use other stuff at these levels (group buffs, minor&personal weapon enhancement) to shine. One big advantage it has is its long duration (1 hour/level). That beats any other summoning spell I know of.

*Intelligent Item Creation (and a short comment)

To create an intelligent item, a character must have a caster level of 15th or higher. Time and creation cost are based on the normal item creation rules, with the market price values on Table: Item Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma, and Capabilities treated as additions to time, gp cost, and XP cost. The item’s alignment is the same as its creator’s. Determine other features randomly, following the guidelines in the relevant section.

Golems are created the same way as other magic items, you need to spend gold and xp, and need the relevant feat. This seems to indicate they follow other rules for magic items, too - i.e. the creation of intelligent golems. Weighing against this fact are that all printed golems aren't intelligent and that there is another, clearly defined method, to give constructs intelligence (Awaken Construct). It's quite a power up if your DM allows it.

Rosleaw
2011-06-14, 10:21 AM
I think i'll be starting at lvl 8 and i can use all sourcebooks.
The idea is having crafted minions, at some point golems. Also use some wands and buff spelss, mostly for my minions. Luckly there's a warforged in the party so i will support him also.