PDA

View Full Version : Reddcloak's family question (Start of Darkness spoilers)

Ftep
2011-06-13, 11:56 AM
I was just re-reading SoD, and caught something I hadn't before: Redcloak has a living niece, out there somewhere in the world, possibly being raised by humans.

Right-Eye mentions it near the end of the book, as he and Redcloak are discussing whether or not to betray Xykon. Has this ever been mentioned or alluded to again? Do we assume Redcloak is too tied up with Xykon and/or The Plan to search for a missing niece, who would likely just be pressed into Xykon's service anyway?

Just interesting that Rich would throw that in the story- there's no reason for Redcloak to have any surviving relatives unless it would somehow figure into the plot later.

On a unrelated note, with the return of the Linear Guild, and more specifically Zz'dtri, has anyone thought of Hilgya returning as well, to be Durkon's evil opposite once more? I always felt like that was an unresolved, hanging plot thread...

Gift Jeraff
2011-06-13, 01:18 PM
Both have been talked about before, yes. My takes on both:

-Redcloak does not want yet another family member endangered by Xykon and other aspects of the Plan. My personal theory is that she is being raised by a combination of the people Redcloak and Right-Eye would have the most problems with: an elven paladin and an Azurite sorcerer. I'm also guessing she and/or Jirix will be the key to goblinoids gaining equality the way Right-Eye was doing it--by building themselves up and not bringing other people down.

-I think Hilgya will eventually return, but not now and not as Durkon's Linear counterpart. Just as her own little sub-plot again.