PDA

View Full Version : Prestige Classes: Spells per day, Spells Known, Caster Level

prufock
2011-06-13, 12:51 PM
There is some inconsistency in the way that PrCs advance spellcasting. I'm never sure if it's intentional or not.

Some explicitly say all three (per day, known, and CL) are advanced. Some don't.

Case #1
An example of all three is the Dread Witch:
"At every dread witch level except 1st, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable)...." The accompanying table lists the heading as simply "Spellcasting."

However, it doesn't mention additions to a spellbook. Is that the same as "spells known" for PrC purposes?

Case #2
Mage of the Arcane Order
"At each level, a mage of the Arcane Order gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable)...." No mention of caster level. The table heading says "Spells per day/Spells known" specifically.

So, in addition to the question from case 1, does this actually advance CL? Or can you be casting, say 9th-level spells at CL 10?

Case #3
Lion of Talisid
"At each level, a lion of Talisid gains new spells per day...." No mention of caster level or spells known. The table says "Spells per day" specifically. As far as I'm aware, there are no "normal" divine casters with a spells known list, but there is the UA variant.

Does this advance CL? Would it advance spells per day in the variant?

If there is some source that clears all this up, that would be great.

dextercorvia
2011-06-13, 02:17 PM
Some DM's may make a big deal about it, but generally I've seen it assumed, that if it advances casting, it advances CL and Spells Known.

Big Fau
2011-06-13, 03:00 PM
Some DM's may make a big deal about it, but generally I've seen it assumed, that if it advances casting, it advances CL and Spells Known.

And the ones who do should be avoided. Not that nerfing spellcasters is a bad idea, but the idea that WotC would intentionally leave something like that out is fairly absurd (especially considering the fact that they don't know how their own system works, and expect us to be able to infer intent from vague wording).

maysarahs
2011-06-13, 04:21 PM
Most official rulings say that a wizard does not add two new spells to his spellbook. That is explicitly a benefit of the wizard class

For the sorcerer, any increase in caster level is generally also an increase in spells known.

If the text doesn't mention the levels you get an increase in caster level, the table surely will

And spells per day is linked to your caster level (usually one refers to the spells per day table of their base casting class; you will have a number of spells per day of a caster whose caster level equals yours)

Sorry if this is all out of order and not very helpful, my brain is quite frazzled at the moment

olentu
2011-06-13, 04:34 PM
Yeah they can be sort of all over the place with this but in any case the favored soul is a divine spellcaster with a known spells list.