PDA

View Full Version : The Insane Wizard and his Pets

Xyk
2011-06-13, 04:29 PM
I'm gonna be running an urban sandbox campaign starting in like 3 weeks, so I've been thinking up plot hooks. I'm on plot hook #17 and I've figured out the basic idea of it.

This insane gnomish wizard, Grixthly Grechktp, has been acting more suspicious than ever and distorted screams were reported coming from his house. Other heroes were sent to investigate but haven't been heard from in about a week, so the PCs will be asked to rescue them. By this point in the campaign, they should be roughly level 3-4 but I want this adventure to be a challenge.

The premise of the villain is simple but hard to carry out. He has created ridiculous and freakish monsters in his laboratory. He uses human subjects (2 of the 4 heroes will have been killed in failed experiments, and 1 will have some grotesque new appendage) as well as animals.

I just don't know of very many sufficiently grotesque monsters that he will have successfully created. My question for the playground is this: what does an insane wizard keep as dangerous hand-made pets? And how are they statted out? It's important that they be within the realm of possibility for a level 3-4 low-op party of 5. (so far there is a favored soul, a swashbuckler, a tank of some kind, and 2 undecided)

I might use the Gibbering Mouther from Lords of Madness, and I want to have a few monsters that are not in a book to really surprise the players. One in particular is a lion who has smaller lions that replace his feet (that's a running joke in my group for whatever reason: The Fractal Lion. Often he is described as having a breath weapon that just fires more lions.). What ideas do you nice people have running around in your heads?

As far as the wizard's build goes, I might just handwave the crafting of unusual creatures because I don't know of any D&D mechanic that does that.

hivedragon
2011-06-13, 04:36 PM
how about friken sharks with friken energy cannons atatched to their friken heads

Keld Denar
2011-06-13, 04:36 PM
Check out Lords of Madness. They have a great backstory for the origin of Chulls that basically is "mad wizard created monsters, monsters ate wizard and are now reproducing in the wild", or something very similar to that. Basically, "a wizard did it" by very definition.

TroubleBrewing
2011-06-13, 04:41 PM
Monster Manual III has the "Mageripper Swarm". Check 'em out, I think they're neat. :smallbiggrin:

BlueInc
2011-06-13, 04:50 PM
This reminds me of a recurring character I use in a few of my campaigns named Geive, an absurdly powerful and incredibly mad wizard, who could do almost anything for you, provided you performed an inane task for him, such as transporting an entire tree, roots and all, to the top of his bizarre tower.

One of his quirks is that every other Tuesday, he would teleport a mastodon into the center of town that would charge recklessly through the streets until it was tranquilized and returned to him.

Take an elephant and weaken it in some way. Reduce its damage, hp, maybe chain it to something so that it can't use its trample.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elephant.htm

dextercorvia
2011-06-13, 04:54 PM
The feats Aberation Blood, Inhuman Reach, Deepspawn, etc could model this. If I'm not mistaken, exposing subjects to Taint would give them bonus feats that could be used for this. Speaking of Taint, there are also the Deformity feats, which accomplish similar things.

BlueInc
2011-06-13, 04:58 PM
Random brainwave! If your party is as silly as I think it is, try this:

The players encounter one of lost adventurers, cowering with fear, tearfully crying about the "elephant in the room." Instead of just using an elephant, make it a Small or smaller elephant headed-humanoid (use the stats of a gnome or halfling if you're lazy) rogue who strikes from the shadows.

PUNS.

Zylle
2011-06-13, 05:16 PM
I homebrewed a monster for my last session that was a hit with my players: it was basically an animated severed hand the size of an adult human (inspired by a certain monster from a certain level of the greatest game ever made). I had it drop down from the ceiling of the dungeon my players were in, surprising the cleric as he stepped out of the group's Rope Trick.

If your wizard experimented on giants, perhaps he has some giant animated hands running around on leashes in his tower?

TroubleBrewing
2011-06-13, 05:17 PM
Did that hand leave the party member unharmed, and deposit them outside the entrance to the room?

Xyk
2011-06-13, 06:28 PM
I really like the idea of relatively weak large-dog-sized disembodied hands running amok, being mindless guard-dogs.

HANDS!
Medium Aberration
HP: 2d8+2 (11)
Init: +3
Speed: 40 ft
AC: 15 (+3 Dex, +2 Natural)
BAB/Grapple: +1/+2
Attack: +4 Finger (1d4 damage)
Special Attack: Improved Grab
Special Qualities: Mindless, Blindsense 30ft, blind
Feats: Weapon Finesse
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +1
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 16, Con 13, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 3
CR 1

That will work pretty well, scattered throughout the lair, being nuisances. The mageripper swarm is a little too strong I think (and in MMIV, not III :smallwink:). I couldn't find any chulls in Lords of Madness. Did you mean Grells? They might work.

NecroRick
2011-06-14, 07:15 AM
Owlbear. That is all.

WinWin
2011-06-14, 07:48 AM
I once used a simulacrum of a red wizard (long dead) that had created a host of other simulacrums. The resultant copies were somewhat...defective but nonetheless had a style that kept the players on edge for a while.

For a lower level group I might suggest using a Raggamoffyn (MM2). Place a template of some kind on it.

Instead of being clothing, make it a straightjacket or composed of torture devices and rusty medical equipment. You can have a few Captured Ones with grafts and the like to supplement whatever else you can come up with.

Eldan
2011-06-14, 07:52 AM
Well, they are weird, and I wouldn't use them, since some idiot just homebrewed them up without any proper playtesting, but what about the Octocrow? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11189103)

Kurald Galain
2011-06-14, 07:53 AM
Duckbunnies. Because hey, if you're starting to do horrible experiments on monsters, you might as well start with something that won't eat you alive if you do it wrong. Plus they're soooo cuddly!

http://www.deviantart.com/download/31979677/Baby_Duck_Bunny_by_crymsonwolfe.jpg

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-06-14, 01:42 PM
The 'Magebred' template can be applied to any animal for an instant boost and creepy factor.

I can see him having either a Carrion Eater or Gelatenous Cube as his 'garbage disposal'...

Hoboshank
2011-06-14, 03:13 PM
the best option here is probably a few home brew creatures. depending on how much work you want to throw at it you can either make some from scratch or just tack on natural atks onto pre existing creatures

Dsurion
2011-06-14, 03:32 PM
Describe to them the Wolpertinger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolpertinger)