PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to cast ranged spells as a touch spell?

KotserB
2011-06-13, 04:45 PM
I was wondering if there is a way to cast spells that normally have, for example, medium range, as a touch attack.

The reason why I ask this is because it would be awesome (Duskblade 3/Class X with powerful ranged spells which i want to put in my weapon X).

If that is not possible, is there, except from the Dread Necromancer, a class that uses (mainly) touch spells?

tonberrian
2011-06-13, 05:26 PM
There's a class feature of the Enlightened Fist (Complete Arcane) that does this, but heck if I know what level it is.

Flame of Anor
2011-06-13, 05:35 PM
I would think that there is (or if there isn't, there should be) a metamagic feat that turns ranged spells into touch spells at +0 levels.

Fax Celestis
2011-06-13, 11:26 PM
There's a class feature of the Enlightened Fist (Complete Arcane) that does this, but heck if I know what level it is.

7th. Dusk 13/EF 7 gets it as a capstone, and afair, it's hard to get in earlier.

Sdonourg
2011-06-13, 11:40 PM
PF Magus can do this, but only with close-ranged rays.

CigarPete
2011-06-14, 10:07 AM
Spellsword can channel any spell through a weapon. It automatically discharges on your next attack and it affects only the struck target, regardless of the normal spread of the spell - i.e. fireball or AMF would only affect one person, not an area.

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-06-14, 10:44 AM
Ordained Champion can do it too, for divine casters, with essentially the same parameters as the Spellsword ability.

dextercorvia
2011-06-14, 12:18 PM
If you decide to go the other way, Chameleon offers Int synergy, and the best possible selection of 1st-6th level touch spells.

KotserB
2011-06-14, 02:25 PM
Thank you guys for all the responses.

You have made it clear to me that there is no effective way to combine a Duskblade with a caster that doesnt have touch spells (or at least not in the way i want it).

Searching on the internet has brought me the Havog Magic Prestige Class.
My question is if you can use both Arcane Attunement and Battlecast to attack on your turn and cast two spells, of which at least 1 is touch.

If you can't, can someone help me with my character:
I'd like to make a gish character with either the Duskblade or the Spellthief (or both).
What I have now is Duskblade/Dread Necromancer, but I don't know if this works well since i dont use this character in a campaign (yet) and I'm not a very experienced D&D 3.5-player.
The level at which i want this character doesnt really matter, since I dont know at which level the campaign ill probably be using this character will start.

Since I'm typing so much (more then I ever did), Im going to type even more!
The 3.5 campaign Im in right now has a campaign journal; The stories are a lot of fun so if you want to follow it, heres the link:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192028
In that campaign, Im a level 5 Chaos Gnome Beguiler and there are 5 other players. Its supposed to be a pirate campaign, but its been a long time since ive seen one (apart from one of the other players, who claims to be one).

Fax Celestis
2011-06-14, 05:08 PM
Duskblade 3/Spellthief 17 (with or without Master Spellthief, though it's much better with), using the Trickster Spellthief ACF from one of the Dragon magazines (#353?):

Lose: Trapfinding, Spellthief casting, all Sneak Attack after 1st level, 2 skills/lev, Appraise, Bluff, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Open Lock, Search, Swim, Tumble
Gain: Bard casting (Bard-like progression, can pick either Bard spells or Sorc/Wizard spells from normal Spellthief schools)
Same place, the Hamper Magic Spellthief ACF works well with it too:

Lose: Steal Energy Resistance, Steal Spell-Like Ability
Gain: Whenever you give up at least 1d6 sneak attack to power a feature, damage the target's CL equal to 1/3 your spellthief level; force a save or their supernatural abilities turn off too. Both last for 1 rd/lev.

KotserB
2011-06-15, 01:43 AM
Yeah, I forgot to tell you something.
We are only allowed a limited number of books and classes.
I believe Druids are forbidden, all Dragon Magazines and any Leadership Feat.
Would it still work?

Fax Celestis
2011-06-15, 10:43 AM
Without that ACF, I'd probably go something more like Spellthief 1/Duskblade 5/Warblade 1/Jade Phoenix Mage 10/whatever you want 3, with Master Spellthief.

KotserB
2011-06-15, 12:48 PM
I've looked through the Jade Phoenix Mage and I really like the combo if there is one.
Is it true that you can Arcane Wrath on a stolen spell?

If it is not, where do you get your powerful spells from to effectively use Arcane Wrath?

I also have a two other questions: why do you need level 5 Duskblade, where IMO level 3 or even skipping would be more effective.
My other question: would you recommend only Warblade or will on of the other two classes do as well?

Many thanks for your help in advance.

EDIT: oh yeah, I forgot to ask: will this character work on lower levels? Because I dont see how it can be played effectively at lower levels.

Fax Celestis
2011-06-15, 01:24 PM
Is it true that you can Arcane Wrath on a stolen spell?Yup.

I also have a two other questions: why do you need level 5 Duskblade, where IMO level 3 or even skipping would be more effective.For casting level prereq? I forget if it needs 2nds or 3rds to get in.

My other question: would you recommend only Warblade or will on of the other two classes do as well?Warblade works best for int-synergy between Warblade and Duskblade (and Spellthief skills), though Crusader could work, and you wouldn't have to drop feats on prereq maneuvers.

At lower levels, you flank, thieve, and then do your duskblade thing. At higher levels, it comes into its own, but you can make it work at lower levels by taking your warblade level first, then going into duskblade and taking the Arcane Strike feat from CAdv.

Tvtyrant
2011-06-15, 02:34 PM
Isn't this the entire point of the spellwarp sniper?

Veyr
2011-06-15, 02:35 PM
They convert the spells to ranged touch spells, which doesn't work with Arcane Channeling.

KotserB
2011-06-15, 03:09 PM
Now I have Abjurant Champion 5/Jade Phoenix Mage 10/Warblade 1/Spellthief 1/X 3

In our group, any conj. spell that grants a bonus to AC is a abjuration spell instead of conjuration. Do you think this build will work?

AdalKar
2011-06-15, 03:59 PM
Maybe not because it lacks (a) base class(es) at the start? :smallconfused:

But the thing about the spellschools sounds like it would work wonderfully for you :smallsmile:

KotserB
2011-06-15, 04:46 PM
Lol, you do have a point there :P
I either have to sacrifice 5th level Abj. Champ. or 10th level Jade Ph. Mage, so I can take the Mage at level 7.
My choice would be sacrificing the 5th level Champ. In either way I lose 1 level of extra spellcasting and +1 on a save. The Martial Arcanist ability seems kinda lame to me (or do I read it wrong) since the DM allowed me to add the prestige classes I want to use to the Master Spellthief feat for determining what level spells you can steal.

Fax Celestis
2011-06-15, 06:32 PM
With Master Spellthief, AbjCham 5 is sort of not necessary. I'd go Warblade 1/Spellthief 1/Duskblade 5/Jade Phoenix Mage 10/Abjurant Champion 4.

acid_ninja
2011-06-15, 11:09 PM
Hang on, isn't there a feat called smiting spell that lets you channel?

Fax Celestis
2011-06-15, 11:26 PM
Hang on, isn't there a feat called smiting spell that lets you channel?

As a +1 level adjust metamagic, yes. It's kind of lame on its own and really only gets interesting if you stack it with other channeling stuff.

KotserB
2011-06-16, 11:27 AM
What I have now is Swordsage 4/Spellthief 1/Chameleon 1/Jade Phoenix Mage 10/Abjurant Champion 4

the only thing im not sure of is if chameleon fills the prerequisite for Jade Phoenix Mage's ability to cast 2nd level arcane spells.
If it does not, I think id go Wu Jen 3/Spellthief 1/Swordsage (or Warblade, see below) 2/Jade Phoenix Mage 10/Abjurant Champion 4.

Why I've taken Swordsage over Warblade is because Swordsage can take Shadow Hand maneuvers and stances.
Taking Island of Blades makes it much easier to deliver your sneak attack and steal a spell. Besides that, its saves are better and it gives a bonus to AC.
Is this a good choice or does the Warblade have funny things with which I can easily deliver sneak attack damage (d12 hit die and full BAB is so AWESOME)?

dextercorvia
2011-06-16, 01:05 PM
It doesn't by itself. You can't uses any of the Focuses to qualify for stuff.

Zook Murning
2011-06-16, 02:10 PM
I dont know if someone has already mentioned this but in complete warrior there is a feat, "arcane strike", it lets you sacrifice spells for a bonus on damage and attack, but if you are wanting a spell effect I dont know. I once had a spellsword character with the feat, combine it with power attack and channel spell ability and you have an unbeliveably high damage going on.

So many Dice rolls for one attack can make you go MAD!!! MAD I tell you! :smalltongue:

Psyren
2011-06-16, 06:49 PM
Havoc Mage will not work for this. All it lets you do is cast and attack with one (full-round) action - nothing else about the spell is changed. (For instance if you Battlecast a Fireball, it'll just blow up in your face along with hitting the target.) You can't even avoid any ASF with it. So ideally the spell you're battlecasting would already be a touch spell.

One nice thing about Battlecast though is that it doesn't specify the targets of your attack and your spell have to be the same, so you could in theory attack one enemy while zapping another one.