PDA

View Full Version : Initiate of Nature--What to Command? [WIP]

ShriekingDrake
2011-06-13, 05:01 PM
Initiate of Nature is a feat a Druid can take at 5th level. I thought it might be interesting to list the plants and animals worth commanding. Here's a start. I've got to go, but I'll work more on this. I'm starting with the plants and will move on to the animals. Feel free to tell me that some of these are not good suggestions (e.g., if you have access to animal X, forget about keeping Y on your list, etc.)

5: Myconid Circle Leader (MMII), Dire Ape, Dire Eagle (RoS), Dire Wolverine, Fleshraker (MMIII)
6: Briarvex (MMIV), Tumbling Mound (Sand), Brown Bear
7: Treant
8: Shambling Mound; Dire Bat
9: Trendriculos
10:
11:
12: Suguaro Sentinal (Sand), Warbound Impaler (MMIII)
13:
14:
15: Sporebat (FF)
16:
17:
18: Oaken Defender (MMIV)
19:
20:

Keld Denar
2011-06-13, 05:05 PM
Battlebriar (and Lesser version) from MMIII should be added. One of the coolest plant monsters EVAR PRINTED.

ShriekingDrake
2011-06-14, 08:02 AM
Battlebriar (and Lesser version) from MMIII should be added. One of the coolest plant monsters EVAR PRINTED.

Lesser Battlebriar = Warbound Impaler

I wish I could include Battlebriar, but because it has 25 HD, it is beyond the reach of the non-epic initiate of nature. But I agree with you. This is one of the best plant creatures in the game.

I'll be adding more entries, but please keep suggestions coming, all.

ShriekingDrake
2011-07-15, 09:47 PM
Any other thoughts here?

Coidzor
2011-07-16, 02:33 AM
I remember being interested, but not really being sure what animals and such would be worth considering.

Might check out the animal companions analysis from the druid handbook(s) and see when those become available via Initiate of Nature.

Problem there though, is that you get things that are good when you'd get them as an animal companion, generally a fair bit later. So something that a druid can get at 7th level, like a Giant Crocodile is going to have to wait until 14th level for Initiate of Nature...

Dire Bat (4 HD so 8th level) and some other reasonable flying dire creatures might be ok for providing flying mounts cheap as finding.

WinWin
2011-07-16, 11:41 AM
Yellow Musk Creeper. Fiend Folio.

Order it to make Zombies for you, then you can add a vast number of critters to your list.