PDA

View Full Version : Spells for a Cleric Tank

Yorae
2011-06-13, 05:47 PM
Any suggestions for spell choices for a cleric who plans on being a protector/meatshield/battlefield control?

I've found a few I like already for this purpose:

Stretch Weapon (PHBII) - good since I'm planning on a reach/tripping/lockdown build.
Righteous Might - See above - more STR & CON, plus more reach from an extra size category.
Knight's Move (SpC)
Spiritual Guardian (CC)
Stifle Spell (PHBII)

Anything else in this vein or that would compliment this type of character?

myancey
2011-06-13, 05:56 PM
Check out the CoDzilla threads.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79430

The second post, by SurelySeraph, gives the basics on the CoDzilla. Looks like you're already on track though.

Yorae
2011-06-13, 07:30 PM
Just thought of an obvious one: Shield Other.
Why I didn't think of that before, I have no idea.

Also, Shivering Touch. Because you can't attack my friends if you can't stand under your own power. =p

myancey
2011-06-13, 07:35 PM
If you're looking at Shield Other and would like a fluff prestige class--check out the Defender of Sentitel or something like that in BoED. It's all about shielding your party.

Yorae
2011-06-13, 08:20 PM
If you're looking at Shield Other and would like a fluff prestige class--check out the Defender of Sentitel or something like that in BoED. It's all about shielding your party.

Defender of Sealtiel

The fluff is great, but the crunch is pretty awful. On top of requiring three lackluster feats to enter, its basically just a compilation of sub-par SLAs that you can't use very many times / day.

myancey
2011-06-13, 09:19 PM
Defender of Sealtiel

The fluff is great, but the crunch is pretty awful. On top of requiring three lackluster feats to enter, its basically just a compilation of sub-par SLAs that you can't use very many times / day.

That's fair to say. If you were to choose it, you should ask your DM to house rule a few pieces of it in your favor. Like lessen certain requirements.

When I DM, I try to incorporate things like that. Especially for characters like this--who devote their characters to taking a beating for the party.

King Atticus
2011-06-13, 10:31 PM
First spell that came to mind was Divine Power:

Calling upon the divine power of your patron, you imbue yourself with strength and skill in combat. Your base attack bonus becomes equal to your character level (which may give you additional attacks), you gain a +6 enhancement bonus to Strength, and you gain 1 temporary hit point per caster level.

But you might hit up the Protection Devotion Feat from Complete Champion:

It adds descent AC bonuses in an Aura around you.

Plus if you're using a weapon that has a haft (ie. not a chain) I'd add on a wand chamber and throw a wand of stretch weapon in there. It's only 2nd level so should be cheap and that way you could use it as often as you want and save your spell slots.

Akal Saris
2011-06-14, 02:45 AM
I'll add the 5th level Righteous Wrath of the Failthful (SpC, name might be a bit off), which is like Haste with +3 to attacks to your party. I also like Recitation - small bonuses to everything for your party and penalties to everything for your enemies tend to add up nicely over a few rounds.

I'm also a fan of Ice Axe, also from SpC I believe. Tanking is a lot easier when you're doing touch attacks for solid damage.

For spells, I'll throw out Minor Shapeshift from C. Mage, available at 7th level at the earliest, or as soon as you can find a polymorph spell of 4th or higher, possibly such as Holy (Infernal) transformation from SpC. An at-will refill of temporary HP equal to your CL for a swift action is quite excellent for a spellcaster tank.

Gwendol
2011-06-14, 03:42 AM
Divine favor and divine power, magic vestment, enlarge person. Spiritual weapon.
I'm also a fan of elation (BoED) since it stacks with bull's strength & cat's grace
Another fun spell is the Furnace within (Eberron): go boom!

Greenish
2011-06-14, 06:13 PM
(Greater) Luminous Armour, from BoED. Combine with Monk's Belt and Magic Vestments (on your robes).