PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder stoofs

Techsmart
2011-06-13, 06:39 PM
Hey couple questions for you guys.
1) For those who obtained ultimate magic, what is your opinion on wordcasting? Personally, I feel that it is an interesting concept that would be nice for sorcerers or other spontaneous casters, but not so much for prepared (since it gives spontaneous some flexibility to modify spells as needed to fit a situation), but I was wondering other peoples' opinions.
2) In my next PF campaign, I'm considering a gish-type build. I was considering paladin 2/sorcerer 8 (6 at first, 2 later)/ eldritch knight 10, fighter 1/wizard 9/eldritch knight 10, or a magus. The first two will get 9th level spells (definite turn-on), the paladin/sorcerer also bumps saves a good bit (which raises with my casting stat)and some other odds and end, but the fighter/wizard gives me a feat and a faster spellcasting progression. At the same time, the magus was intentionally designed for this build. So, what do you guys think is the better combination, or is there a better one? Normally I would look for a guide, but I don't know many that are geared towards pathfinder's setup.
3) any other specific recommendations for a gish (other than "don't play it") Note: we aren't playing yet, so we can start from scratch, but are limited to PF books that we have (no 3.5, but core rulebook, APG, and ultimate magic are open, noone has any other pf books), and are doing 32-point-build as the 3.5 setup.

faus7rav3n
2011-06-13, 07:24 PM
1) I think Wordcasting is interesting. Even for a prepared caster it adds alot of variety and combinations of spells with which to create on the fly. You can even add other Words equivalent to various other spells in the 3.5 universe. The creativity is yours really.

2)The Magus is pretty good in it's own right. BAB progression is at the rogue's level, but there are somethings that ensure you hit with your spells. One of your Arcana's gives you an insight roll. The difference in the builds is this, do you want a fighter that can cast spells but has no real flavor besides that, or do you want a character whose magic is integral to the function of the class?

I personally think the Magus is pretty powerful given it's Arcana and Spellpool abilities. I've never played one but I can see how it works mechanically in my head. The guy that plays the one in our group used it well when we playtested it.

peacenlove
2011-06-13, 11:12 PM
1) In my opinion the Experimental Spellcaster feat is a very good feat for sorcerers, you get a known spell that scales with levels (by changing the area of the word). Also you can at higher levels throw some decent double or triple threat wordspells that share one save. Other than that traditional spellcasting is almost always stronger and requires less bookkeeping.

2) Magus deals a lot of damage with his spell combat ability (despite his 6th level spellcasting) but he desperately needs attack bonuses. However 9th level spells include dragon shape 3 (ridiculous bonuses, you keep spellcasting) and time stop so power wise I would lean on fighter 1/wizard 9/eldritch knight 10.
Note that paladin 2/sorcerer 8/ eldritch knight 10 has 17th level casting, not enough to grant him 9th level spells.

3) Dragon Disciple (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/dragon-disciple) is a nice prestige class. Straight sorcerer, more HP, 8th level spells and the attack bonus is fixable with a transformation spell. Also Dragon shape and extraordinary fly.
Also

noone has any other pf books
The srd (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/) is up to date with most of the PF books, so you can draw options from there.