PDA

View Full Version : pirate adventures

pseudodragon
2011-06-13, 09:22 PM
I have my PC's on a pirate ship and I need help thinking of adventure ideas. Please help me.

IsaacTheHungry
2011-06-13, 10:05 PM
i was running a large and complex pirate super adventure with a maluble storyline so i might be able to help.

I need details
What system?
What levels?
do you want a single linear adventure? A few towns and a coast they can explore with lots of options and adventures and sidequests? a caribian style island chain?

Also do you/they want more combat or more role-playing and do you want humorous and/or filled with refences or a more fresh one?
do they/you want tradisional fantasy or pirates of the carbian or nity-grity real life pirating?

as you can see i am full of ideas :smallcool:

EDIT: how much time do you have? do you need an adventure by like tomorrow (i think i can privide one) or do you have a few days or a few weeks?

slaydemons
2011-06-14, 12:34 AM
I have my PC's on a pirate ship and I need help thinking of adventure ideas. Please help me.

Well it doesn't matter what system so, their ship gets attacked said ship has a location to a treasure there done XD

Tyndmyr
2011-06-14, 02:08 AM
Grab the 7th Sea system. Raid it mercilessly for ideas.

Stormwrack is also decent if it's D&D.

Honest Tiefling
2011-06-14, 02:33 AM
They are on a pirate ship, eh? It's time to find some landlubbers to gut, mateys! (And then take all of their shinies)

Combat Reflexes
2011-06-14, 03:49 AM
S(i/a)mple plotline:

1. Giant squids attack the ship
2. Shipwreck and/or mutiny
3. Add island filled with treasure and monsters
4. Dump shipwrecked characters on island
5. Profit.

super dark33
2011-06-14, 07:34 AM
you should make ship-maps, so boatfights will be easy.
ship miniators are also good so shipfight will be easier then the charecters themself fight aginst the enemy boat.

The monsteros humenoids are the natural choice for pirates.
dont make it too cliched though.

make yourself a random encounter table for sea encounters. (include enforcer, merchent and pirate ships as random encounters).

so thats all my ideas,i hope your PC's will enjoy.
SD33

Trufflehound
2011-06-14, 11:11 AM
Fill enemy ships with blaster sorcerers. Nothing takes down a ship as easily as a few long-range, area-burst spells. Unless it's a lot of long-range, area-burst spells.

Use tropical diseases. A party should get lots, especially in a confined living space like a ship.
And scurvy, because you can't cast remove disease on it.

But unless you give them a special quest you can mostly throw random encounters at them. Add the occasional backstabbing, storm, mutiny, and poisoning for good measure.

A good portion of the crew should be pickpockets.

And to really spice things up, you can have the western countries refuse to pay any ransom for the captured oil supertankers.

awa
2011-06-15, 11:38 AM
in my personal opinion ship adventuries work best at low levels at higher levels it becomes easier to destroy the ship out from under the party then to bother attacking the pcs. The situation is of course made worse by the fact that most cr 10+ aquatic monster have special anti ship abbilities. Also at higher levels this kind of combat penalises mundane charecters even harder than a normal game becuase many of the mundane class trick to stay relavent longer are negated easier.

SleepyShadow
2011-06-15, 11:40 AM
Easy. The PCs' pirate ship is attacked by ninjas. :smallcool:

Mikeavelli
2011-06-15, 12:36 PM
Acquire Spelljamming helm.

Become space pirates.

pseudodragon
2011-06-17, 05:34 PM
3.5 D&D is the system. currently level two.

Calmar
2011-06-17, 06:54 PM
Where's the ship headed?

Morph Bark
2011-06-18, 03:54 AM
For easy adventures in my first pirate campaign, I had the players go to a pirate city where the national hobby is to hunt down bounty hunters, mutineers and straight-up lunatics.

I'm currently DMing a pirate campaign (journal (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192028)) where I decided early on to take it in a different direction and I had one of the players decide whether she wanted an airship or a sandship. Now the players are going around sailing the desert and aim to raid a town for a supplies and after that go to a city resembling Las Vegas. Feel free to crib.

Calmar
2011-06-18, 07:38 AM
Well, some random ideas:

The ship's crew is going to rescue some of their comrades who were captured by the Royal Fleet.
The ship is chasing Captain Arianne of the Rose Noire who stole one half of a treasure map and currently lies at anchor at Ye Olde Tortuga- Rip-Off.
A terrible tempest causes the ship to strand at a rocky island ruled by harpy sorceresses living in a ruined castle. The heroes must find materials to make the ship seaworthy again.
During a calm, starry full moon the crew turn into bloodthirsty wights, but cannot remember anything after they wake up as humans in the morning.

TurtleKing
2011-06-18, 07:54 AM
As being one of the players IsaactheHungry's pirate game he is good at it. Don't be afraid to let your players play some of the more exotic races that become available. One of my characters that I had a blast with is my baby Black Dragon Duskblade. He was the lookout/ special secret weapon of the our crew. Another thing to watch out for are the rules about magic on unstable footing and underwater. Such as needing to make balance checks cast do anything in stormy weather. Some spells such as fire based don't work unless you have the right feat for being cast underwater. Another thing is just how heavy of armor you/ they want to go. So who would be a better choice for wearing the heavy armor a Dwarf or a Seakin? Another is focusing on certain skills that hardly get observed in most other settings. The skills most will want are Profession: Sailor, Know: Geography, Balance, Concentration, Swim, Use Rope, and more. Also have to pay attention to the weather more.

Serpentine
2011-06-18, 08:17 AM
I would like to point out to all those "sink the ships!" people that a lot of the time, especially for pirates, the point is not to obliterate the opposition but to capture their stuff. Thus not sinking the ship becomes the challenge. Although a Sink spell, followed by Float (or whatever they're called) would be a pretty handy way to take out a crew while salvaging the loot.
I have my PC's on a pirate ship and I need help thinking of adventure ideas. Please help me.To be really helpful we need more information. Game system would be handy, if only for stuff like monsters and races and spells and stuff, but more importantly:
- What is their status on this pirate ship? Prisoners? Passengers? Crew? Owners? Is this likely to change? Do you want advice on the changing?
- What sort of climate is the pirate ship in?
- What is it exactly you're after? Encounters (short, one-off events), side-quests (a series of events making a short adventure), adventures (longer tasks involving a series of quests forming a particular plot), or a campaign (the over-arching storyline)?
- What sort of level are they up to?
- What sort of characters are they?

And so on and so forth.

Personally, I've had an attack by Drowned, freak weather, a wild magic zone, a hunting expedition on an island, and helping a crew member desert after a tragic accident during the previous.
I recommend having lots of weird and exotic islands dotted about the place. Because they're awesome.

TurtleKing
2011-06-18, 08:33 AM
Excellent point Serpentine. The goal is loot with the possibility of also getting the ship and/or crew to join your own. Building a pirate fleet can be an adventure. If you are worried about what happens after you sink a ship then if you have an Amphibious race you could then unlock a new aspect of sea/underwater adventure by salvaging. Could even become the primary aspect of being salvagers. Races that can stay underwater for a longer time than others are Shaol Halfings and Skum who can breath air and water, Darfallen/Seakin/ and more who have the Hold Breath racial feature. If a caster who can't breath water but uses a lot of water spells could get a reserve feat that allows him to breath water so long as he still meets the requirements for the feat that day. Another options are races such as Air Mephlings, Air Gnomes, and Air Goblins who don't breath period because of their elemental ties.

As for some adventures the legends/myths could work. Want to find the Lost City of Gold or Altantis? How about slaying the dread of the seas be it the Great White Whale, a Kraken, or some other large denizen of the deep. Another is the relations between the races above the waters and the races below the waters.