PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Regen?

Halae
2011-06-14, 04:12 AM
I was taking a look at some Dragon magazines my roommate ordered off E-bay, and noticed, the feat Troll-Blooded and the fact that it can be applied to a human at level 1 (As a matter of fact, short of flaws, that's exactly when and who it has to be applied to)

This got me to thinking - is there any way we can turn that to our advantage? Fatigued in sunlight, but regeneration 1 in exchange. perhaps taking Rapid Regeneration for the Fiendish codex (2, I believe) to increase the regen number? What I'm looking for is a way for it to meaningfully contribute to a character beyond "Oh hey, a few rounds passed. I get back up again and start fighting even more."

TroubleBrewing
2011-06-14, 04:29 AM
Make yourself immune to subdual damage and fire/acid.

Wooooooooo damage immunity!

Halae
2011-06-14, 04:38 AM
The question that plagues me though is how do I go about doing that?

TroubleBrewing
2011-06-14, 04:43 AM
Google should help. "How do I break Troll-blooded" is a good jumping-off point.

Vent Reynolt
2011-06-14, 07:16 AM
The question that plagues me though is how do I go about doing that?

I think that the simplest method is to get the necropolitan template since it is (as far as I know) the only undead ever printed that explicitly allows you to keep natural healing. You are still vulnerable to acid and fire, but total immunity to all other forms of damage (Regen makes all damage nonlethal and undead makes you immune to nonlethal damage) at as early as level 3 is pretty good.

As icing on the cake, you are also immune to the fatigue from Troll-blooded.

Expect books to be thrown at you if you ever try it in an actual campaign though.

Essence_of_War
2011-06-14, 07:31 AM
The Emerald legion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101587) has some ideas for you

Voidmind + Half-Dragon is an easy, albeit LA intensive way, of making every type of damage deal subdual to you.

Cog
2011-06-14, 07:46 AM
I think that the simplest method is to get the necropolitan template since it is (as far as I know) the only undead ever printed that explicitly allows you to keep natural healing.
Unfortunately, regeneration has its own restrictions:

A creature must have a Constitution score to have the regeneration ability.
As for nonlethal immunity, Warforged Juggernaut can get you there. It's much easier than the Emerald Legion approach, but requires a number of class levels, and you need to take two flaws as well, since you have two first level only feats.

TroubleBrewing
2011-06-15, 08:13 AM
If the GM in question is allowing Troll-Blooded, I see no reason why we can't assume he'll ban flaws. :smalltongue:

Alleine
2011-06-15, 12:43 PM
I used the gheden template from another Dragon Magazine when I used this on a low powered character. That plus the warforged legs graft from one of the eberron books is a decent start.

Thurbane
2011-06-15, 09:31 PM
Levels in the Crimson Scourge PrC (Cty) allows you to ignore nonlethal damage...

dextercorvia
2011-06-15, 09:50 PM
Warforged Juggernaut 2 grants immunity to nonlethal, but doesn't lose natural healing yet. I recommend not going full Fire and Acid Immunity (It's costly anyway). Pick up a couple of soulmelds or a stance that gets you resistance. Then, the DM feels like he has a way in, he won't try to break you with everything he's got.

You'll also want to pump your Will and Fort Saves, and get Mettle. Evasion would be nice if your DM knows about Bands of Steel.

Warforged PaladinofTyranny2/Hexblade3/WarforgedJuggernaut2

Is a good start. Shape Soulmeld: Planar Chasuble will get you Fire/Acid Resistance.

Vent Reynolt
2011-06-15, 10:15 PM
Warforged Juggernaut 2 grants immunity to nonlethal, but doesn't lose natural healing yet. I recommend not going full Fire and Acid Immunity (It's costly anyway). Pick up a couple of soulmelds or a stance that gets you resistance. Then, the DM feels like he has a way in, he won't try to break you with everything he's got.

You'll also want to pump your Will and Fort Saves, and get Mettle. Evasion would be nice if your DM knows about Bands of Steel.

Is a good start. Shape Soulmeld: Planar Chasuble will get you Fire/Acid Resistance.

That just raises the question of how a warforged got troll ancestry in the first place.

:smallsigh: I guess this is just a case of "A wizard did it."

Flame of Anor
2011-06-15, 11:39 PM
As icing on the cake...

Cheesecake, I take it.

Halae
2011-06-15, 11:44 PM

*nodnod* oh yes. This is wondrous :smallbiggrin:

dextercorvia
2011-06-16, 08:52 AM
That just raises the question of how a warforged got troll ancestry in the first place.

:smallsigh: I guess this is just a case of "A wizard did it."

Warforged can become Dragonborn, or take the Dragontouched feat. It's not really any different.

kestrel404
2011-06-16, 11:29 AM
My preference here is:
Half-green-dragon (SRD) Fire Gnome (Planar Handbook) Fighter 1/Cleric 4/Bone Knight (Eberron: Five Nations) 2+
The LA is a bit harsh at +4, so you may want to find an easier way to get acid immunity. It's still not as cheesy as the troll-blooded warforged, IMO.

The nice thing about bone knight is that: it's 9/10 cleric casting, grants the full range of undead immunities without being undead, has a number of very nice necromancer/warlord class features, and the entry requirements are quite simple to meet (aside from being in eberron).

subject42
2011-06-16, 12:50 PM

Warforged have lubricant that act as blood. We could probably safely assume that somebody went all Keith Richards on one.