PDA

View Full Version : House of Leaves

Dumbledore lives
2011-06-14, 05:23 AM
So I recently reread this fascinating book about the House and was wondering how many others here in the playground had read it. One of the reasons I bring this up is recently I have been thinking a lot about the baby story near the end of Johnny's story. I couldn't really decide whether it was a happy or a sad ending, or what it really meant, and I would like to hear other people's opinions. Also opinions on his other works would be of interest.
The minotaur is merely misunderstood

PanNarrans
2011-06-14, 08:25 AM
Halfway through it now! Stuff is hitting the fan.

TheLaughingMan
2011-06-14, 10:39 AM
Into the lair of the Minotaur, I see. Good luck. I spent a week afterwards peering over my shoulder. :smallbiggrin:

Lord_Gareth
2011-06-14, 10:41 AM
Remember: the more you think about it (and invest into it), the more out of the book you'll get. I suggest cozying up to some language students and honing the fine and noble art of paranoia :D

SaintRidley
2011-06-14, 10:02 PM
It's a wonderful book. I'd love to teach a class on it some day.

Forum Explorer
2011-06-15, 07:13 AM
This was the strangest book I've ever read. Also when people ask me how is it I can really give an answer. When they ask what its about I can't really give an answer.

Also did anyone else really find that the film seemed like the more real part of the story. The rest seemed to read like a fever dream.

Dumbledore lives
2011-06-15, 07:16 AM
This was the strangest book I've ever read. Also when people ask me how is it I can really give an answer. When they ask what its about I can't really give an answer.

Also did anyone else really find that the film seemed like the more real part of the story. The rest seemed to read like a fever dream.

I think that's the point, it's partly about the nature of what is reality, best evidenced by Johnny's story about his doctor friends at the end. The film ties it all together and just because something is imaginary does not necessarily mean it is not real.

Mauve Shirt
2011-06-15, 08:10 AM
I put this book down and for some reason never picked it up again. I'll read it once I've finished A Song of Ice and Fire.

GolemsVoice
2011-06-15, 04:20 PM
I read it while working in a youth hostel surrounded by woods, and I was seperated from the guest by a whole building where my beedroom was. Paranoia, my friends, paranoia.

That's what I liked about the book: it can be read as a normal story, a horror or mystery story, but it's also interesting in the academic topic it touches.

Jimorian
2011-06-16, 01:53 AM
Whenever this book comes up, I like to point out that his sister (stage name Poe) wrote an album that has some loose cross ties to the book, Haunted (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haunted_%28Poe_album%29).

It's one of my favorite albums ever, with some powerful songs that stand alone without knowing the book (some are also tributes to their father). The title track (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3lBF2h-Pl0) is probably my favorite of them.

Cristo Meyers
2011-06-16, 09:10 PM
Read this oh...over a year ago now. Probably going to pick it back up once I finish A Feast for Crows.

Loved everything about it. It was challenging without being completely daunting (or worse: pretentious), had multiple different layers that even spanned different genres, and the core horror story was so paranoia inducing that I couldn't walk through the one hallway in my house without feeling a bit off (yes, I measured it, shut up :smalltongue:)

I did get some weird looks at work when reading the upside down parts, though...

An Enemy Spy
2011-06-17, 02:58 AM
That book was a trip! I think by the end I was as crazy as poor Johnny.

afroakuma
2011-06-18, 06:27 PM
I just bought the full-color edition for my cousin's birthday and so far he's going nuts over it. I think I may have to steal it away.

GolemsVoice
2011-06-19, 01:29 PM
Always buy the full colour edition. Everything else makes you lose one of the most interesting features.