PDA

View Full Version : Why change your forum name?

rakkoon
2011-06-14, 09:37 AM
Hey,

Lots of people have changed their name on this forum. I've considered changing my name to Raccoon but somebody talked me out of it.

Why have you changed your name or are you considering to change it?

Regards,
rakkoon

Haruki-kun
2011-06-14, 09:43 AM
I've considered removing the "-kun" from my name, but people talked me out of it.

Why? No reason, really. Just thought it looked like a big extra that I could remove, I guess.

Totally Guy
2011-06-14, 09:49 AM
I've changed my name. It was previously Glug, which is a bit of an idiot name. So now I'm Guy. Like in real life. Totally Guy as I'm not being anyone else. Just me. And that makes me powerful. :smalltongue:

But it was in the name change thread for more than a month. So it looks like a whole load of us just changed but really it 's more like a game of Ker-plunk. :smalltongue:

Castaras
2011-06-14, 09:56 AM
I wanted to change my name to Castaras, Pieomancer somethingorother. Or something. Can't remember now. Got talked out of it by a certain cookiemonster screaming "NOOOOOOOOOO!". :smalltongue:

Which was the right thing to do. I'm just Castaras. It's how I'll always be. :smallsmile:

Mauve Shirt
2011-06-14, 10:00 AM
People's have suggested I change my name to Blue Shirt or Gold Shirt, but I'm just not interested in doing to. I said as much in my signature. I'm too used to being recognized as Mauve Shirt.

Prime32
2011-06-14, 10:00 AM
Lots of people have changed their name on this forum. I've considered changing my name to Raccoon but somebody talked me out of it.That's a boring name. :smallfrown:

I've considered removing the "-kun" from my name, but people talked me out of it.

Why? No reason, really. Just thought it looked like a big extra that I could remove, I guess.Also boring. Don't stand up for genericism! :smalltongue:

Really, I'm not sure why'd you'd want to lose half your reputation, make every thread where you are referred to by name incomprehensible, make your old works impossible to find, and possibly make people think you're stealing from yourself. :smallconfused:

Klose_the_Sith
2011-06-14, 10:05 AM
I've considered it, namely because my forum name is simply absurd and I'm known by different monikers on several other sites ... but I'm set in my ways now. Better to just accept it, I've found.

Dogmantra
2011-06-14, 10:06 AM
I considered adding an exclamation mark but I don't think they work in the forum software.

(deep down I want an exclamation mark at the end of my real name too)

Gaius Marius
2011-06-14, 10:13 AM
If I ever changed my nick, it has nothing to do with a virtual restraining order.

Nothing at all, and stop asking.

valadil
2011-06-14, 10:14 AM
I'm quite bored of mine. I made it up 10 or 12 years ago for a first age MERP game. It comes from the Tolkien elven dictionary and translates to power elf. I'm no longer into Tolkien and the name sounds silly to me now. It takes itself too seriously IMO.

But I like having an identity. I'm not the highest profile poster here, but I think my name is recognizable. If I change that I have to convince people I'm worth listening to all over again. I guess I could sig the name change until the new one sticks, but that's only an option here. Reddit and the other communities I visit don't do signatures or profiles.

factotum
2011-06-14, 10:14 AM
I'm known by this name at every other forum I frequent apart from one, so why would I change it now? Even though people keep thinking it's referring to the D&D class rather than the English word...

Emperor Ing
2011-06-14, 10:15 AM
I'm considering changing mine if only because this name was randomly chosen and I do not often identify by it online.

Mystic Muse
2011-06-14, 10:21 AM
I changed mine because I got bored of my last forum name. I'd had it for almost two years and I figured it was time for a change. Plus, I'd rather be associated with my main pony than a being of pure malevolence.

Elder Tsofu
2011-06-14, 10:23 AM
I've considered shortening my name to Tsofu*, which is what I tend to use when signing up for stuff these days. But I don't dislike it as it is (and I think none really does) and it would only inconvenience others if I change it.

Oh, and rakkoon - don't change. :smalltongue:

*Elder Tsofu being an old beloved character of mine, but on forums the "elder" part doesn't really add anything.

Eon
2011-06-14, 10:30 AM
I've considered it. Pretty bored of Bandil.

The only problem is... What do I change it too? :smallfrown:

Darklady2831
2011-06-14, 10:30 AM
I'm trying to change mine to "Darklord2831" Which, well, is what I'm known by everywhere else.

Toraminus, and heh, "TheLichLord" are the only other names I've used online, but Darklord is the one that stuck, so I thought I'd make it appropriate here too.

Wayril
2011-06-14, 10:35 AM
I'm pretty sure the forum used to let you do that, like way long ago. Needless to say it was very confusing for everyone involved when people would change their names and avatars and everything on a day to day basis.

It did allow for pranks such as stealing your DMs identity and doing silly things in game, but no it was generally bad.

Don't change your name unless you really really think you should. People use that to know who you are and don't like it when they don't.

tonberrian
2011-06-14, 10:41 AM
I've spent a significant amount of effort trying to establish a unique eccentricity with my name. I'm not gonna change now.

Flame of Anor
2011-06-14, 10:49 AM
Don't change your name unless you really really think you should. People use that to know who you are and don't like it when they don't.

This is exactly correct.

Prime32
2011-06-14, 10:49 AM
I changed mine because I got bored of my last forum name. I'd had it for almost two years and I figured it was time for a change. Plus, I'd rather be associated with my main pony than a being of pure malevolence."Nine tails" is an entity of pure malevolence? :smallconfused: Well assuming you mean a nine-tailed fox, they're more tricksters than...

Oh, you must mean that guy from Madoka. /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ :smalltongue:

Kobold-Bard
2011-06-14, 10:51 AM
I thought about changing it (people keep thinking it's a reference to that little **** Deekin), but all my avatars are musical Kobolds, and with any other name they just wouldn't make sense.

Mystic Muse
2011-06-14, 10:53 AM
"Nine tails" is an entity of pure malevolence? :smallconfused: Well assuming you mean a nine-tailed fox, they're more tricksters than...

Oh, you must mean that guy from Madoka. /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ :smalltongue:

I meant the nine tailed fox from Naruto, who if I recall correctly, is a being made of hate and chakra.

Asta Kask
2011-06-14, 10:58 AM
I changed mine because I got bored of my last forum name. I'd had it for almost two years and I figured it was time for a change. Plus, I'd rather be associated with my main pony than a being of pure malevolence.

But why would you hide your true colors?

:smallbiggrin:

Mystic Muse
2011-06-14, 11:01 AM
But why would you hide your true colors?

Lies! Calumny! Slander! Propaganda! Libel!

Prime32
2011-06-14, 11:03 AM
I meant the nine tailed fox from Naruto, who if I recall correctly, is a being made of hate and chakra.I know about Naruto's demonic Kyuubi no Kitsune, I drew it for you (http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd54/Prime32_temp/OotS/oots_fourtails_naruto.png). :smalltongue: His demon-ness is unrelated to his fox-ness though - if anything, having nine tails often means that a kitsune is less evil.

Mystic Muse
2011-06-14, 11:10 AM
I know about Naruto's demonic Kyuubi no Kitsune, I drew it for you (http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd54/Prime32_temp/OotS/oots_fourtails_naruto.png). :smalltongue: His demon-ness is unrelated to his fox-ness though.

It's still just a case of me getting bored of the name.

Asta Kask
2011-06-14, 11:23 AM
Lies! Calumny! Slander! Propaganda! Libel!

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

BladeofOblivion
2011-06-14, 11:26 AM

And despite the broadcast in your sig, I didn't realize who you were until just now. :smallsigh::smalltongue:

MoonCat
2011-06-14, 11:32 AM
And despite the broadcast in your sig, I didn't realize who you were until just now. :smallsigh::smalltongue:

I would be unrecognizable if I changed the avatar and my name and signature.

How many people here would recognize Tiger Duck without him telling you who he is?

Mystic Muse
2011-06-14, 11:33 AM
The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

I might be a girl, but I certainly don't qualify as a lady. At least, not by the definition I usually hear.

I blame you for that.:smalltongue:

Dallas-Dakota
2011-06-14, 11:35 AM
I wanted to change my name to Castaras, Pieomancer somethingorother. Or something. Can't remember now. Got talked out of it by a certain cookiemonster screaming "NOOOOOOOOOO!". :smalltongue:

Which was the right thing to do. I'm just Castaras. It's how I'll always be. :smallsmile:
As it should be.

I was ''DD the cookiemonster'' for a while...But it just didn't suit me like Dallas-Dakota. The mods had kindly changed it back. The name is Dallas-Dakota and the rest is pretty much all cookiemonster.:smallsmile:

And Soft Serve, I didn't recognise you either! I tend to scroll past signatures.
I preferred the name Kyuubi unlike some Pony reference.(No, I'm not into the ''wholy pony thing''.)

smellie_hippie
2011-06-14, 11:40 AM
I would change my name... but then you all would have assumed I took a bath.

:smallamused:

Mystic Muse
2011-06-14, 12:29 PM
And Soft Serve, I didn't recognise you either! I tend to scroll past signatures.
I preferred the name Kyuubi unlike some Pony reference.(No, I'm not into the ''wholy pony thing''.)

Neighsayer!:smalltongue:

arguskos
2011-06-14, 12:37 PM
I thought about changing mine awhile back, but then I figured, "you know, I'm one of like 40 Titans on this forum, perhaps I should keep my name as it stands".

I gave it a lot of thought, though.

Cobalt
2011-06-14, 12:59 PM
I wouldn't change my name. If I did and it was nothing like the old one, I would probably have to have something in my sig saying who I used to be. Besides the fact that a plenty-few number of members turn off seeing signitures at all, it would defeat the purpose in my eyes because I'd still be identified by the old name by both people I used to know and people just wandering in. So I wouldn't change it.

In any case, I like being Cobalt. Has a ring to it. So I wouldn't.

Supagoof
2011-06-14, 01:11 PM

:smallamused:I would change mine, but then you would assume I've lost my Supa powers.

If only there was a button you could press to change it between names, like from Supagoof to Goof. Then playgrounders could switch between my Hero self and my Alternate Identity.

Of course, if that would be done, I'd want the same abaility with my avatar picture. But that's more then what the forum is capable of currently, and I quite like it not having all that fancy fuss with it.

So I'll just stay Supa. :smallwink:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-06-14, 01:20 PM
When I joined, you could still change your forum name on a whim. For a while I was the MirrorMaster, or something like that. Attempted to join AMEN. Left the forum. Came back as Gwyn_ap_Nud, did some stuff with that name, but then I had to come up with a character for the Lords of Creation god-game, and decided to make a Gwyn character, only ap Nud/Nudd wouldn't work, as that requires there to be a Nud for me to be son of, so I went to a translator site thing, and tried various things until I found this name.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll has a certain... it's almost poetry. "Light of the Dark", it translates too, which is wonderful with the 'gwy' coming up twice.

That's my name-changing thing. If I ever do change my name, it'll always have a Gwyn on it, because, hell, that's who I am! It's like a 2nd name for me, if someone says 'Gwyn' I look around to see who's calling me. I like to think it's a little memorable. :smallbiggrin:

And @Soft Serve: Keeehehehehehehehehehehe.
approval granted

ThePhantasm
2011-06-14, 01:28 PM
What is it about the name "Soft Serve" that reminds me of ice cream? Or an ICEE machine? Now you've got me wanting dessert... :smalltongue:

Haruki-kun
2011-06-14, 01:40 PM

I would change mine, but then you would assume I've lost my Supa powers.

I would change mine, but-

I got nothing. :smallsigh:

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2011-06-14, 01:41 PM
Once, when the world was young, and all that is was not yet quite as it is, I was TheAlmightyStriker. It was a good name. Strong. Born of old proboard RPs and arrogance. But here, in the this place, it was bland. I was but one of several Strikers to roam this fair playground, and I stood apart from my strikerly brethren only by my almightiness.

And then I adopted an avatar, by Tomb Raven. An Iron Avatarist avatar, for we did those, too, in those days, of Redcloak wearing lederhosen, with a sousaphone. I know not why I adopted it. But, perhaps, Fate had intervened. These were days when a man's name was different from his login name, and I went through several variations on a theme of angry goblinity.

When the forums switched over I became Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins as part of the chain of thematic names involing Fullbladder and goblins. Some time ago, I was to change it to just plain Fullbladder, for my name stretched the screen in places and people had complained. Also occasionally people would call me MoG and it was wierd.

I was talked out of it by a young gentleman who loved the fact that my name was freakishly long and stretched the screen, the very reason I wanted to change it.

Now you're stuck with me. http://i.imgur.com/2lTPE.jpg

Haruki-kun
2011-06-14, 01:44 PM
*snip*

Also, I THINK if you changed it you wouldn't be able to change it back. Names as long as yours are no longer allowed. So if you changed to just Fullbladder, you're stuck with it.

So just leave it. :smalltongue:

MoonCat
2011-06-14, 01:44 PM
Fullbladder, how did you get your freakishly long name to be accepted? It's much longer than other ones that were not allowed.

Blue Ghost
2011-06-14, 01:46 PM
Fullbladder, how did you get your freakishly long name to be accepted? It's much longer than other ones that were not allowed.

The previous board software did not have such limitations.

I changed my name once, for aesthetic reasons (I was previously blue_ghost). I'm not going to change my name. My current name has the downside of people mistaking me for a ghost (I wonder why), and I tend to go by Blue most of the time. But the name Blue is already taken, and Blue Ghost is tradition for me. Who am I to break tradition?

Wayril
2011-06-14, 01:49 PM
I was talked out of it by a young gentleman who loved the fact that my name was freakishly long and stretched the screen, the very reason I wanted to change it.
Now you're stuck with me.

Mine used to be longer as well, before the forum shift stole everything after the comma. I don't really mind though. It works better for your name anyway.

Lady Tialait
2011-06-14, 01:52 PM
I changed my name to Lady Tialait, from Tialait because I had made her just Tialait not knowing there could be spaces.

MoonCat
2011-06-14, 01:52 PM
The previous board software did not have such limitations.

I changed my name once, for aesthetic reasons (I was previously blue_ghost). I'm not going to change my name. My current name has the downside of people mistaking me for a ghost (I wonder why), and I tend to go by Blue most of the time. But the name Blue is already taken, and Blue Ghost is tradition for me. Who am I to break tradition?

I keep hearing all these references to different software, now I know why! There used to be different software! :smalleek::smallredface::smallsmile:

And I like your name Blue, I like this tradition.

I personally don't see myself changing my name, but I've only had it for a relatively short time. But it's easy to type, short enough that people don't need to worry about abbreviating it (and thus being confusion if people don't agree on one particular one), and is cat related. I think I'll keep it.

Helanna
2011-06-14, 02:10 PM
I changed my name over from Death Dragon simply because I didn't like it. It was the first thing that came to mind when I registered, back when I only ever lurked in the OOTS subforum and didn't think I really needed a good name.

I'm much more fond of Helanna, the name of one of my characters.

Haruki-kun
2011-06-14, 02:16 PM
I personally don't see myself changing my name, but I've only had it for a relatively short time. But it's easy to type, short enough that people don't need to worry about abbreviating it (and thus being confusion if people don't agree on one particular one), and is cat related. I think I'll keep it.

In your case it wouldn't be so good to change your name. People would need to get used to your new name and might not recognize you. Exceptions being when you mispelled it, or want to shorten it or lengthen it, or in some way change to a variation of your current name. (For instance, if you wanted to add a space between Moon and Cat.)

bluewind95
2011-06-14, 02:18 PM
I've been thinking of upgrading my operating system, but I don't know which one I'd be.

Mostly, I've just been too lazy to change it. I've had this online screenname for... ages now. Over 10 years now.

Remmirath
2011-06-14, 02:19 PM
I changed my name because I first signed up with the name Relvinar, which was one of my characters at the time. However, it felt a little bit strange using a character's name (made me feel like I should try to act like the character or something), and he's dead now anyhow. :smalltongue:

Remmirath has the same first two letters, at least, so hopefully it's not too confusing - and it's not as if I'd posted much before I changed it. I did keep the 'formerly known as' in my signature for a while just in case.

I can't imagine I'll be changing my name again. I did it once to get away from one that really didn't work, and now that I've done that there's no reason to change it further.

Keld Denar
2011-06-14, 02:30 PM
I changed my name. Once. Back when I first registered, I was the same Keld Denar that I am today. Then, during the great forum migration of '06, username was changed to the prefix of my old email address, which contained my RL last name. I bore that for about 6 months before I realized that I could get it changed back. I applied, and was granted a name change to go back to who I am today. If I had been smart, I would have changed to Wyvernhand to sync up with my WotC, BG, and Enworld accounts, but anymore, like arguskos, I like to think I'm recognized and appreciated for who I am, and I wouldn't want to change the brand association that comes from 6 long years of activity on this board, especially in the last 4 years in the Gaming forum.

Adumbration
2011-06-14, 02:38 PM
I've thought about changing my name, considering it is just a tad pretentious, but I'm known by it in a few other places as well. And besides. Don't know what to change it to.

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-06-14, 02:47 PM
I doubt I'd change my name, but if I did, I'd have to come up with an even worse gaming-related punny name than my current one. No one wants that. :smalltongue:

arguskos
2011-06-14, 02:49 PM
I doubt I'd change my name, but if I did, I'd have to come up with an even worse gaming-related punny name than my current one. No one wants that. :smalltongue:
I'd miss seeing your name, don't change it! I'd be :smallfrown:.

Volthawk
2011-06-14, 02:50 PM
I just changed mine since I thought hey, everyone just shortened it to Volt anyway, and when I thought about it a little, I quite liked having Volt instead of Volthawk. Still Volthawk elsewhere, though.

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-14, 02:55 PM
I used to be giantmudkip 'cuz I wanted a giant mudkip as my avvie when I first joined. Crossbred cubes are more to my taste, though.

Zevox
2011-06-14, 03:01 PM
Chalk up another one who completely didn't recognize you until reading this thread Kyuubi. Also, same comment on the ponies thing.

Anyway, I don't see myself changing my name ever. I've been using this as my internet name for something like six or seven years now, since I signed up with my first forum and actually started spending some kind of significant time on the web, I don't see any point to changing it after becoming so accustomed to it.

Zevox

Maxios
2011-06-14, 03:02 PM
I've toyed with the idea of changing my username to "Baron Maxios" or "Guildocracy Maxios"
Those of you from the Giantitp Minecraft Server will understand :amused:

Oracle_Hunter
2011-06-14, 03:06 PM
Oracle_Hunter was my first real forum name, and now I use it all over the place. Yes, even when the underscore is unnecessary!

At the time (http://www.dominic-deegan.com/view.php?date=2005-06-12), it was a reference to an unused character in a webcomic that got me to join the forum. Plus, considering the thread that caused me to join, the double-meaning amused me. Imagine my chagrin when the character finally showed up (http://www.dominic-deegan.com/view.php?date=2008-01-01) :smallannoyed:

Still, I spend so much time picking handles that I'd never change them once selected. Heck, I only have one alternate forum ID in all the forums I'm on today :smalltongue:

Pokonic
2011-06-14, 03:08 PM
Honastly, I was tired of the same name I have been using on the internet for 5 years, and that it needed a change.

Lateral
2011-06-14, 07:27 PM
There was a time when my forum name was Lateral Master. I'm not sure what I was thinking, other than that somebody had taken my usual username, that I liked D&D, and that my shiny new first-ever PC that I had built that weekend for the lulz had a cool nickname. So I picked that and stuck a 'master' onto it. Then, later, when my sanity returned, I changed it to something less pretentious. Like just the nickname. It's also become pretty much my standard username for anything D&D-related, since by now he's become one of my two oldest and most iconic PCs. Even though I've never actually used him in a campaign.

Seen plenty of play in SMBG, though. :smalltongue:

onthetown
2011-06-14, 07:42 PM
Riyoukaze was a random reference to one of the campaigns I played in, and I just used it as a quick way to sign up for the forums because I couldn't think of a better name. Once I started using onthetown for everything, I changed it.

Gadora
2011-06-14, 08:57 PM

How many people here would recognize Tiger Duck without him telling you who he is?

I would, but that's really only because I've got the name change request thread in my subscription folder.

MoonCat
2011-06-14, 09:03 PM
I would, but that's really only because I've got the name change request thread in my subscription folder.

Yeah, me too. :smallbiggrin:

Haruki-kun
2011-06-14, 09:04 PM

That's a smart move. I should do that. Would help me keep track.

Giggling Ghast
2011-06-14, 09:08 PM
Back when I was a lurker, I opened this account on a whim, basically to make the odd Candle Jack joke. (I can say it because it's my name, shaddup.) But since I've been participating in the forum a bit more, I've been thinking about changing it since the whole "Candle Jack" thing is kind of tired (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DiscreditedMeme), and it don't really fit with my avatar.

The thing is, I really suck at picking names. It takes me days to name D&D characters. God help me if I ever have a child; that poor kid will probably think his name is "You" at the age of eight.

Icewalker
2011-06-14, 09:16 PM
Really, I'm not sure why'd you'd want to lose half your reputation, make every thread where you are referred to by name incomprehensible, make your old works impossible to find, and possibly make people think you're stealing from yourself. :smallconfused:

This is the only reason why I haven't. I like the vague and probably misguided illusion that I'm in some manner known and recognized. :smalltongue: Even though Icewalker isn't a name I use for anything anymore, and I have a lot of names.

AsteriskAmp
2011-06-14, 09:24 PM

I do, I was present at the avatar change thread.

DraPrime
2011-06-14, 10:44 PM
Yeah, I changed my name once. I capitalized the D in Dragonprime.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2011-06-14, 10:53 PM
Also, I THINK if you changed it you wouldn't be able to change it back. Names as long as yours are no longer allowed. So if you changed to just Fullbladder, you're stuck with it.

So just leave it. :smalltongue:

If I recall correctly, about the same time in the Name Change Thread someone wanted to change to a long name, citing mine as proof or something. Rawhide or whoever does that stuff said that mine was tolerable, because it was all spaces instead of underscores, and therefore didn't stretch the average in-thread screen. It still most probably wouldn't be allowed now, but I gots seniority.

When the forum switched software (as previously stated) we couldn't change display names separately from usernames anymore, and anyone who's names were different at the time was reverted to username, and were given the option of applying for the admins to change our usernames to whatever we wanted. I picked this. Maybe they were asleep. Maybe they thought it was cool. I will never know.

(I know, I know, everyone already talked about it. I wanted to answer, too. It was addressed at me, after all.)

Dusk Eclipse
2011-06-14, 11:24 PM
Once upon a time, I was known as (dramatic pause and/or lighting) DuskEclipse; so I just added the space between the words due aesthetic reasons and because when I joined I didn't know you could have spaces on your username (and the underscores looked ugly).

I don't really see me changing my username ever; since joining my first RPG forum I have been known on the interwebs as Dusk Eclipse in everything, BG, Wizards, my FLGS forum, my FF.net account.

The interesting thing is that I don't remember why Eclipse... I know Dusk comes from a former D&D character of mine; but the reference to the astrological phenomena.... I draw blank.

So guys, you are stuck with Dusk Eclipse for a loooong time.

P.S Soft Serve, I just noticed your change of name >_> <_<

ForzaFiori
2011-06-14, 11:28 PM
I changed mine (from mf11) because mf11 was an old username that I never used anymore, so I updated.

Mystic Muse
2011-06-14, 11:28 PM
P.S Soft Serve, I just noticed your change of name >_> <_<

There's some sadistic part of me that's almost pleased so many people are getting confused by it.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-06-14, 11:42 PM
There's some sadistic part of me that's almost pleased so many people are getting confused by it.

On my (and all other who are confused); Soft Serve is REALLY different from Kyubi, so making the connection is a bit difficult.

Besides; I am having trouble seen avatars so at first I missed your's.

MoonCat
2011-06-15, 12:04 AM

I would have had no idea who you were if I hadn't been watching the name thread for that very purpose. (who knew that Lateral had been considering Nevermore?(no, it's not stalking. It's just... research... :smallamused::smalltongue::smallwink:))

Dusk Eclipse
2011-06-15, 12:05 AM
I would have had no idea who you were if I hadn't been watching the name thread for that very purpose. (who knew that Lateral had been considering Nevermore?(no, it's not stalking. It's just... research... :smallamused::smalltongue::smallwink:))

Mooncat, you are starting to scare me :looks suspiciously at the moon:

MoonCat
2011-06-15, 12:07 AM
Mooncat, you are starting to scare me :looks suspiciously at the moon:

The moon says 'meow'

Dusk Eclipse
2011-06-15, 12:09 AM
The moon says 'meow'

:eek: Ok... seems I need to lay of coffee, I am starting hear things

Gadora
2011-06-15, 12:28 AM
That's a smart move. I should do that. Would help me keep track.
I posted that more to get that idea out to people who hadn't had it than for any other reason.

Well, since I'm not one of the confused, I have to say that it is kind of funny. Mostly though, I'm amused at the timing of your name change with regards to the interview thread.

ZombyWoof
2011-06-15, 12:38 AM
I went from Geno to Snape to Phoenix1 and then back to Snape in the online gaming community. To be honest, I like Phoenix1 the best because it's the most unique of the bunch and has a very strong connotation in certain groups of a player who puts his heart out on the line and knows a ton about the game even if he's not the most technically skilled.

I would not change from ZombyWoof though.

celtois
2011-06-15, 12:43 AM
I'm not sure about other people. But I've been considering changing my name for a good long while now, and it always comes back to the problem that I've already built up recognition on this forum with this name, and as I'm hardly present nowadays it's rather nice to still be recognized from time to time.

Totally Guy
2011-06-15, 01:24 AM
I didn't worry about people getting confused because I feel like I'm invisible anyway. I need to get into one of those cliques. :smalltongue:

I really can't work it out.

celtois
2011-06-15, 01:29 AM
For what it's worth Glug. I knew who you were pre-name change.

If you hadn't posted in this thread, I probably wouldn't have recognized you. Despite recognizing the avatar.

Ravens_cry
2011-06-15, 01:51 AM
Ravens Cry came when I was a) a mopy goth wannabe and b) a Teen Titans cartoon fan. Still am the the latter, Rae/BB 4ever!, but I see no reason to change it. The only other option would be The Occupant, from British junk mail, my other most common online nom de plume, but that wouldn't fit the perky goth pixie avatar I made.

rakkoon
2011-06-15, 02:03 AM
Glug was recognisable, as is your avatar.
If you change your avatar, I'll never remember your previous posts.
Hmm, tempting to start as a newbie in the WW games :smallamused:

Totally Guy
2011-06-15, 02:07 AM
It is a cool avatar though. I might change it to the human version...

Killer Angel
2011-06-15, 04:50 AM
Glug was recognisable, as is your avatar.
If you change your avatar, I'll never remember your previous posts.

...and I wouldn't recognize who are "you".
The issue is lesser in case of a unique Avatar (as in the case of Glug and Totally guy), but if you're into those get-yourself-a-different-style-avatar-threads, then it's almost impossible, unless you insert your old name in your sig. or somewhere in the visible infos under the Avatar.

banjo1985
2011-06-15, 05:21 AM
In a fit of pique I once applied to change my name from banjo1985 to Morningtonmoo, but got so many screams of disbelief via PM that I dropped the idea. :smalltongue:

Since then I've decided it would be folly to drop the banjo part of my name, it's just about the only thing that makes me recognisable on here. I'm thinking about shortening it to Banjo_ though, to get rid of those ugly numbers on the end. I wish I could have simply Banjo to be honest, but some bugger who hasn't posted for like three years got there before me!

rakkoon
2011-06-15, 05:48 AM
Raccoon hasn't posted ever, he's a ghost ITP.
But I'm not changing :smallbiggrin:

MoonCat
2011-06-15, 09:21 AM
I didn't worry about people getting confused because I feel like I'm invisible anyway. I need to get into one of those cliques. :smalltongue:

Post in the RB thread, they even accepted misfits like LaZodiac

valadil
2011-06-15, 09:33 AM

I didn't even notice the name change because I recognized your avatar. I don't think that counts as being invisible :-P

Keld Denar
2011-06-15, 10:39 AM
I recognize you Glug, you're the nekkid corn maze guy!

Raz_Fox
2011-06-15, 10:48 AM
I honestly don't think I could ever change my forum name. Raz is taken, and Raz_Fox is both a easy-to-remember name that communicates my quirkiness and love of vulpines. Plus, there are too many good memories associated with this name for me to change it now.

Totally Guy
2011-06-15, 10:49 AM
Post in the RB thread,

Not posted there since I fell out with Player Zero...

I recognize you Glug, you're the nekkid corn maze guy!

Yeah, we're going again in just over a month. I still can't believe how well it all worked out. I never thought everyone would invite everyone else.

Inhuman Bot
2011-06-15, 12:01 PM
Because I don't keep a consistent identity on the internet anymore.

I'm pretty sure people learned to ignore my posting around the time I changed my name to Anatharon and got rid of my Noise Marine avatar, so changing my name won't cause unneeded confusion anyways.

rakkoon
2011-06-16, 12:15 AM
Now you are known as the guy that changed names in the middle of a WW game to me :smallbiggrin:
Instant fame!

Inhuman Bot
2011-06-16, 09:36 AM
Now you are known as the guy that changed names in the middle of a WW game to me :smallbiggrin:
Instant fame!

I like to think I try.

arguskos
2011-06-16, 12:03 PM
Because I don't keep a consistent identity on the internet anymore.

I'm pretty sure people learned to ignore my posting around the time I changed my name to Anatharon and got rid of my Noise Marine avatar, so changing my name won't cause unneeded confusion anyways.
Man I LIKED that avatar. BRING IT BACK, DAMMIT! :smallfurious::smalltongue:

mangosta71
2011-06-16, 03:54 PM
I've considered dropping the 71 from my forum name, and possibly capitalizing it. I wouldn't go to something completely different.

Fiery Diamond
2011-06-16, 10:39 PM
I don't think anybody knows who I am, but I can pretend.

Once, when I first discovered OoTS way back in the middle of the last decade (2005 maybe?) back in the days when they let people post without permanent profiles or something (it's been a while, I can't remember the details. All I remember is that you didn't have to go through the strict security stuff you do now in order to post), I briefly joined for a couple months or so as ZeldaEmblemFighter. I left the forums for a while, erasing my profile. When I rejoined, I joined as Fiery Diamond. And thus I have remained.

I used to use MSN Messenger a lot back in high school, and I never had a static screen name. Once I settled on Fiery Diamond here, though, it became who I was everywhere else. On Youtube (where I haven't yet posted anything) I'm TrueFieryDiamond, but that's because it said that FieryDiamond was taken. On fanfiction.net I'm Fiery Diamond and on one other forum that I was briefly active on (it was a webcomic forum for a webcomic that's essentially dead now...I should have stayed, though, the people were nice) I was also Fiery Diamond.

I identify with my name now. I don't plan to change it. If I ever did use a different name, however, I'd use Sapphire Phoenix, which is a name that came to me in a dream...almost. I had a dream where I was a blue fire-wielding superhero with the name Sapphire Flame, but I tweaked the name when I woke up.

Partof1
2011-06-16, 11:11 PM
I doubt I'm too known, but I really don't think I'd change my name. I have been Partof1 forever, and everywhere, save youtube. If I were to change, I don't know, the only thing I can come up with right now would be Red Menace, which seems kinda bland.

Moonshadow
2011-06-17, 01:55 AM
Because I spent a feat on Secret Urban Ninja Art: Hide In Plain Sight no Jutsu, and I want to make use of it :smallbiggrin:

Temotei
2011-06-17, 02:05 AM
I used to be Temotei221, but then the name Temotei apparently became available, so I requested the change. I'm pretty sure it wasn't available when I joined.

Temotei is my name in Japanese, according to a mom that came to school one day in second grade for our foreign culture segment. It stuck as a nickname, so regardless of accuracy...it's used. I had never heard of Lucky Star until abadguy asked if it was a reference to it and I hadn't known about the shampoo until the same man made mention of it.

Prime32
2011-06-17, 04:02 AM
I had never heard of Lucky Star until abadguy asked if it was a reference to it and I hadn't known about the shampoo until the same man made mention of it.And I've always found this weird, since Timotei is one of the first brands that comes to mind for me when I think of shampoo, and about twice as old as I am. Is it really that obscure? It's not even a Japanese brand or anything. :smallconfused:

Castaras
2011-06-17, 04:22 AM
And I've always found this weird, since Timotei is one of the first brands that comes to mind for me when I think of shampoo, and about twice as old as I am. Is it really that obscure? It's not even a Japanese brand or anything. :smallconfused:

Never heard of that shampoo before. :smallconfused:

rakkoon
2011-06-17, 04:59 AM
Tomotei reminds me of Russian musicals but might just be me :smallsmile:

Anuan
2011-06-17, 05:32 AM
Because I spent a feat on Secret Urban Ninja Art: Hide In Plain Sight no Jutsu, and I want to make use of it :smallbiggrin:

Y'know, your name always reminds me of a particular, oldish Trance version of a song called "Moonlight shadow" that I liked when I was...13ish? 14ish? that always made me cry for some reason. In a good(ish?) way.

Asta Kask
2011-06-17, 05:53 AM
And I've always found this weird, since Timotei is one of the first brands that comes to mind for me when I think of shampoo, and about twice as old as I am. Is it really that obscure? It's not even a Japanese brand or anything. :smallconfused:

Actually it was Swedish from the beginning. The commercials were part of my childhood.

Temotei
2011-06-17, 11:54 AM

Never heard of that shampoo before. :smallconfused:

Actually it was Swedish from the beginning. The commercials were part of my childhood.

I've never really watched a lot of television, so that might have something to do with it. Still, I think my mom would have mentioned it if she knew of the shampoo, since she's the primary person to call me by my username.

Moff Chumley
2011-06-17, 12:16 PM
Not posted there since I fell out with Player Zero...
a) I'm pretty sure P_Z was in a constant state of falling out with everyone, all the time, and
b) wasn't he banned a while ago? :smalltongue:

Aaaaaaanyhow, I've considered changing my name to Chumley, but it's probably taken.

factotum
2011-06-17, 04:05 PM
Y'know, your name always reminds me of a particular, oldish Trance version of a song called "Moonlight shadow" that I liked when I was...13ish? 14ish? that always made me cry for some reason. In a good(ish?) way.

Trance version? :smallconfused: I've heard of the Mike Oldfield version...

Castaras
2011-06-17, 04:13 PM
Damnit, now I've got Moonlight Shadow stuck in my head. Eh, there's worse things... but damn, that thing is catchy.

Carried away by a moonlight shadooow...

<.<

I guess if I were a drink I'd be a nice cup of tea. With crumpets.

Totally Guy
2011-06-17, 05:12 PM
a) I'm pretty sure P_Z was in a constant state of falling out with everyone, all the time, and
b) wasn't he banned a while ago? :smalltongue:

Victory is mine!

skywalker
2011-06-18, 02:14 PM
Chalk up another one who completely didn't recognize you until reading this thread Kyuubi. Also, same comment on the ponies thing.

Thirded. You can have your pony fun, but I won't be participating. And I was wondering where you went!!!

And you as well! I've been reading your posts thinking "I wonder if Glug knows this Guy bastard is stealing his avatar?!"

The Dark Fiddler
2011-06-18, 02:36 PM
I changed my name once.

I forgot the r in Fiddler.

Dacia Brabant
2011-06-18, 02:55 PM
I didn't change my name on this board, but I did ditch my old nickname from previous boards I frequented, to make a clean break with the past. Scylfing is as much a part of who I am as my real name is and I don't intend to change it.

Amiria
2011-06-18, 05:08 PM
Sadly I changed my name (removed my 'title') and now I can't get my 'full' name back because the 'new' board software doesn't allow such long names. I sometimes often miss the good 'ol YaBB times.

Currently I'm thinking about changing my name into ... Cube Throwbeam (another of my D&D characters - like Amiria - although he's just an NPC). Seriously (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k6rPh8O0AU). :smalltongue:

Moff Chumley
2011-06-19, 12:35 AM
Victory is mine!

I think this is one of those "everyone wins" cases. :smalltongue:

Morph Bark
2011-06-19, 07:46 AM
Mine used to be M-Bark because that's the one I used on the Gleemax forums. I changed it to Morph Bark because Morph is the name I use almost always (that or a variant, usually Morpholomew) and I wanted my name to be recognizeable to people I've met elsewhere other than GitP or Gleemax.

I've also often though about changing my avatar, but I'm lazy and I think my current one gives a (fake) sense of recognizeability. Plus, it's too darn cute/awesome.

Vwulf DeMarcus
2011-06-21, 06:05 PM
Mine used to be Shadowhisper, because I use it everywhere, but then I thought it was stupid and at the time I was obsessed with Dune.
Now I'm thinking of changing it again, but I don't know what to change it to.