PDA

View Full Version : [PF]Request: Oracle Curses

Corrik
2011-06-14, 10:25 AM
Search is failing me today so I inquire of you homebrewers. Anyone have some homebrew curses for oracles in Pathfinder? I find the ones they have don't really fit my character and the only ones I can think of either have bad fluff or bad mechanics.

Corrik
2011-06-15, 07:45 AM
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Debihuman
2011-06-15, 08:23 AM
I'm not familiar yet with the Pathfinder rules. What are Oracle curses?

Debby

Corrik
2011-06-15, 11:23 AM
Pathfinder SRD (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle)

"Each oracle is cursed, but this curse comes with a benefit as well as a hindrance. This choice is made at 1st level, and once made, it cannot be changed. The oracle’s curse cannot be removed or dispelled without the aid of a deity. An oracle’s curse is based on her oracle level plus one for every two levels or Hit Dice other than oracle. Each oracle must choose one of the following curses."

Each curse has different effects that change and/or increase as you level. It isn't a bad class feature, the issue is that they small number can kind of limit character possibilities in terms of flavor.

Debihuman
2011-06-16, 12:12 AM
Not to stomp your buzz or to be a buzzkill, but what is wrong with taking one of the three choices already offered by the class? If the Special Ability were open-ended (suggesting to make up your own curse), I'd say to go for it, but that's not the case.

Debby

Violet Octopus
2011-06-16, 05:43 AM
Could you elaborate on your character and why none of them fit? Are you looking for something to do with bad luck instead of a disability?

Corrik
2011-06-16, 08:20 AM
I'm not really looking for one for a specific character, rather I'm looking for more curses for more character options. I(and many other Pathfinder players for that matter) find the number of curses limiting.

Haunted is considered the worst or second worst(depending on who you ask) curse. It makes drawing items(including sheathed weapons) a standard action and kind of writes the GM a blank check for your character without giving you benefits which weigh that out.

If being blind, deaf, lame, or a rotting corpse doesn't fit your character concept you are basically left with voices(the power gamer option). I merely find this fairly limiting(especially taking in to account the wide variety of characters the Mystery feature allows for) and am in the market for some more options.

Debihuman
2011-06-16, 10:10 AM
First, you aren't fully blind as you still have Darkvision 30 feet which in Pathfinder isn't spoiled by light. Second, being haunted doesn't make you "a rotting corpse." You are followed by malevolent spirits.

How about you are lame and move at half speed? Magical healing does not cure this condition.

You are mute and unable to speak. You cast all of your spells as if they were modified by the Silent Spell feat.

You are allergic to most normal metals and cannot wear metal armor or use metal weapons. This does not apply to the Special Materials of Cold Iron, Mithral, and Adamantine.

Debby

Corrik
2011-06-16, 10:41 AM
No the rotting corpse one is the wasting curse

Wasting: Your body is slowly rotting away. You take a –4 penalty on Charisma-based skill checks, except for Intimidate. You gain a +4 competence bonus on saves made against disease. At 5th level, you are immune to the sickened condition (but not nauseated). At 10th level, you gain immunity to disease. At 15th level, you are immune to the nauseated condition.

Lame is one of the curses and mute is actually being released in the latest module. Mute is one that I am actually a big fan of but I almost always play a character with a bit of a mouth so it is not good for me. I did however make a build for our party "talker" that will use that curse when it is released. He makes diplomacy checks by give deep, meaningful stares with his big blue eyes.

The metal one is actually really interesting. It could have the benefit of being able to sense metal at a distance and eventually having some sort of resistance or ability to repel metal for the 5th and 10th level powers. Kudos Debihuman, have an internet cookie.

Prime32
2011-06-16, 10:53 AM
Haunted is considered the worst or second worst(depending on who you ask) curse. It makes drawing items(including sheathed weapons) a standard action and kind of writes the GM a blank check for your character without giving you benefits which weigh that out.Eh, it's easy to completely negate the drawbacks of Haunted. Fight with unarmed strikes, natural weapons or gauntlets. Use wand chambers so your wands are always considered at hand.

Violet Octopus
2011-06-16, 11:09 AM
Debi, there's three more oracle curses under the FAQ box. The rotting corpse option Corrik mentions is Wasting.

Corrik, here are some ideas. I know you asked for links to already-done homebrew but I haven't seen any. If you'd rather I stop posting in this thread I'll do so.

* Weak Arm - cannot wield two-handed weapons, or a weapon or shield in your off hand. You can still hold things, wield wands etc. Staves can be held, but not wielded as a weapon. Bonuses might include being more deft with your good arm, which could translate to an attack bonus, shield bonus, improvement to fighting defensively.

* Wasting can be refluffed to some sort of unpleasant looking symbiotic creature that assists your immune system, or to magical tattooing or scarification.

* Unlucky - For any d20 roll you make where a natural 1 is treated as a critical failure, a natural 2 is as well. To compensate, you learn to prepare for the worst and make your own luck. Benefits might include a bonus to Perception and Sense Motive, Uncanny Dodge, eventually being immune to surprise.

*Elemental Flesh - May only take if you have the Flame, Stone, Waves or Wind mystery. You have been claimed by an elemental lord, and your own flesh begins to transmute into that element. You gain Vulnerability to Cold, Electricity, Fire or Acid. Benefits include fortification, an extra revelation, empower spells with the appropriate energy descriptor for free.

Corrik
2011-06-16, 11:22 AM
Debi, there's three more oracle curses under the FAQ box. The rotting corpse option Corrik mentions is Wasting.

Corrik, here are some ideas. I know you asked for links to already-done homebrew but I haven't seen any. If you'd rather I stop posting in this thread I'll do so.

* Weak Arm - cannot wield two-handed weapons, or a weapon or shield in your off hand. You can still hold things, wield wands etc. Staves can be held, but not wielded as a weapon. Bonuses might include being more deft with your good arm, which could translate to an attack bonus, shield bonus, improvement to fighting defensively.

* Wasting can be refluffed to some sort of unpleasant looking symbiotic creature that assists your immune system, or to magical tattooing or scarification.

* Unlucky - For any d20 roll you make where a natural 1 is treated as a critical failure, a natural 2 is as well. To compensate, you learn to prepare for the worst and make your own luck. Benefits might include a bonus to Perception and Sense Motive, Uncanny Dodge, eventually being immune to surprise.

*Elemental Flesh - May only take if you have the Flame, Stone, Waves or Wind mystery. You have been claimed by an elemental lord, and your own flesh begins to transmute into that element. You gain Vulnerability to Cold, Electricity, Fire or Acid. Benefits include fortification, an extra revelation, empower spells with the appropriate energy descriptor for free.

No I'm perfectly fine with this. Those are great ideas, this is exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for. You get an internet cookie as well.

*edit*
Forgot to mention, I'm especially fond of the elemental flesh curse. The elemental mysteries are among my favorite and I think I can have some fun with that one.