PDA

View Full Version : Moderators breaking the forum rules...

Kansaschaser
2011-06-14, 11:08 AM
Before the moderators became moderators, did they ever break the forum rules? Even if it was just an accident?

The reason I ask is because some day I might want to become a moderator for these forums, and I've had some "citations".

I did read over the rules, but there were so many, I had a hard time remembering them all. I'm doing better now. However, I made a post where I used a word I shouldn't have used and it got "{scrubbed}". I got a warning about language use. I tried to delete my post and I got "cited" again for altering a moderator's post.

I'm hoping my "warnings" and/or "citations" don't one day prevent me from submitting an application to become a moderator.

LCR
2011-06-14, 11:11 AM
Well, since those infractions will be dug up in the New Hampshire/Iowa primaries for the moderatorship at the latest, you might as well start to justify earlier transgressions right now.
Just say your account was hacked.

Jack Squat
2011-06-14, 11:13 AM
If anyone's been here long enough, they're bound to run afoul of one or two of the rules. The more important thing is that you learn and straighten out instead of having a "clean" record.

However, I don't think they really take applications for moderators. If what I remember is correct, they decide if they need a moderator and then look through to community to see who'd be a good fit and ask if the person wants the position. I could be way off on that, though; having never been on either side of the process.

pendell
2011-06-14, 11:15 AM
I would suggest bribery. Find out the brand of the favorite malt beverage of the site administrator and send him/her a case.

Tongue-in-cheek,

Brian P.

Kansaschaser
2011-06-14, 11:21 AM
Well, since those infractions will be dug up in the New Hampshire/Iowa primaries for the moderatorship at the latest, you might as well start to justify earlier transgressions right now.
Just say your account was hacked.

Well, if I say I was hacked, then they may not let me become a moderator on the grounds that my account is not secure. So, I don't think that's the best defense.

I will stick with honesty. "I cannot tell a lie. The Glyphstone did it.":smallbiggrin:

Eon
2011-06-14, 11:30 AM
Send Rich cookies. :smallsmile:

edit: Because I know he'll show up, Roland St. Jude also would be a good recipient of cookies.

Kansaschaser
2011-06-14, 11:44 AM
Send Rich cookies. :smallsmile:

edit: Because I know he'll show up, Roland St. Jude also would be a good recipient of cookies.

Rich Burlew is one sexy guy. I'd only send him cookies and/or a malt beverage if he promises to consume them on camera and send me the video. :smallamused:

I don't know about Roland St. Jude. Never seen pictures of him. In fact, I don't know if there is proof that he's even a "him".

On another note, how do you know they even like cookies? Have they stated this fact before?

Eon
2011-06-14, 11:48 AM
Rich Burlew is one sexy guy. I'd only send him cookies and/or a malt beverage if he promises to consume them on camera and send me the video. :smallamused:

I don't know about Roland St. Jude. Never seen pictures of him. In fact, I don't know if there is proof that he's even a "him".

On another note, how do you know they even like cookies? Have they stated this fact before?

... Everyone likes cookies.

smellie_hippie
2011-06-14, 12:03 PM
I would suggest bribery. Find out the brand of the favorite malt beverage of the site administrator and send him/her a case.

Sorry to break this to you... but you're screwed. I know Zeb had some wild times, and I BREW some of his favorite malt beverages PERSONALLY.

If I aint category to become a MOD through that level of service, I dunno what other favors you would have to pull...

[/sarcasm...sort of]

Keld Denar
2011-06-14, 12:32 PM

Forum suspicion: Roland isn't a single person, but a collective of hive-mind-like super-entities that allow for constant vigilance. With guns.

Also, mod-ship is by invite only, and the Ritual of Selection supposedly involves a cucumber, a bowl of long grain rice, and several white lambs.

EDIT: Same must be true of Rawhide, who manages to simultaneously be on vacation in the Carribean while still fulfilling his admin-ly duties. Clearly one can not do both, thus Rawhide must likewise be a hive-mind. I'm not sure, but I'd wager the gnomes are behind all of this...

MoonCat
2011-06-14, 12:37 PM
EDIT: Same must be true of Rawhide, who manages to simultaneously be on vacation in the Carribean while still fulfilling his admin-ly duties. Clearly one can not do both, thus Rawhide must likewise be a hive-mind. I'm not sure, but I'd wager the gnomes are behind all of this...

I'd wager that the laptops are behind it.

Mercenary Pen
2011-06-14, 12:39 PM
Before the moderators became moderators, did they ever break the forum rules? Even if it was just an accident?

The reason I ask is because some day I might want to become a moderator for these forums, and I've had some "citations".

I did read over the rules, but there were so many, I had a hard time remembering them all. I'm doing better now. However, I made a post where I used a word I shouldn't have used and it got "{scrubbed}". I got a warning about language use. I tried to delete my post and I got "cited" again for altering a moderator's post.

I'm hoping my "warnings" and/or "citations" don't one day prevent me from submitting an application to become a moderator.

I'm afraid things aren't as simple as applying to be a moderator- as far as I know all of the current moderators were headhunted by existing staff (I suspect mostly Rich, Roland, though Rawhide and Alarra could well have had some input in the process).

It sounds as though your errors have been comparatively minor ones and- as I understand it- your infractions will only last for a set period of time, during which you are unlikely to be asked as to your willingness to undertake the job (simply because all the most recent crop of moderators had been with the board a few years before being approached and, the two periods being of roughly similar length, this may well not be an issue).

Eon
2011-06-14, 12:43 PM
Forum suspicion: Roland isn't a single person, but a collective of hive-mind-like super-entities that allow for constant vigilance. With guns.

Also, mod-ship is by invite only, and the Ritual of Selection supposedly involves a cucumber, a bowl of long grain rice, and several white lambs.

Maybe those two are actually one hive mind!

CURSE THOSE GNOMES!

Supagoof
2011-06-14, 01:03 PM
Sorry to break this to you... but you're screwed. I know Zeb had some wild times, and I BREW some of his favorite malt beverages PERSONALLY.

If I aint category to become a MOD through that level of service, I dunno what other favors you would have to pull...

[/sarcasm...sort of]I can attest to this. Hippie makes brews that would warrant such an honor, alas no go.

Also - being one of the few playgrounders to attend a moderator wedding - well you think that would give you a leg up. I was even asked once, over brews, if I had any interest in becoming one. I said yes, and I must have failed the test at that point because it never went anywhere from there. :smallsmile:

Or maybe it's because Indurain was around during both of those times....hmm, clearly I need to hang out with his nakedness some more. *ponders*

Anyway I think the only way to become a moderator is to never ask about becoming a moderator - like playing the game. Once you do, you lose. :smallamused:

Obrysii
2011-06-14, 01:06 PM
{Scrubbed}

pendell
2011-06-14, 01:34 PM
I think part of it is that you need to be able to survive the initiation ritual. We've only heard about those playgrounders who have passed the test and gone from mere mortal to exalted modhood.

We're never told what happened to those who failed the test. Presumably their remains are inside a jar on Roland's desk. Or possibly someone used them to fertilize their garden. Look for any mods who have gardens and exceptionally healthy tomatoes to guess who that might be.

I only hope they keep the ashes separate from those of banned posters and those who stole Rich's copyright material.

Tongue-in-cheek,

Brian P.

PS. In more seriousness, everyone of us is -- in a sense -- on trial for modship all the time.

Mods happen when we don't have enough. So long as the ones we have are meeting demand , no more mods will be created. I'll wager when one retires or the forum membership expands, they have a little talk about it. I imagine they've formed an image in their heads of what most of the posters here are like. After awhile, there is consensus. Then they all go get drunk. Presumably there is blood sacrifice and an orgy involved somehow. Anyway, after things settle down to normal, the new mod is invited.

I mod another board, and my advice is not to seek after it. It's a lot of work that takes away from other things you could be doing. -- BDP.

Keld Denar
2011-06-14, 01:56 PM
Really, cause I assumed it was something more along the lines of the show Takeshi's Castle (Most Extreme Elimination Challenge in the US, I think).

Syka
2011-06-14, 08:11 PM
Seriously, don't worry about the infractions too much if you are learning. After over 5 years here, I got my first infraction back in...I want to say January. Like yours, it was pretty minor "Oops, totally didn't realize that was beyond X bounds. My bad." thing.

I doubt anything like that puts you out of the running. And as others have said, it's a constant "trial" of sorts. Like, I doubt I'd ever be asked to become a mod because I am predominantly in RWA and Doctor Who (again), and some random Friendly Banter/Media Discussions threads. I'm just not around enough.

That, and it's a crap job. I did it on another forum for a few months, and it's terrible, really. Here is an anomaly in that most forumites respect the Mod's, but many others there is little respect, and you have to weigh stuff carefully or risk being accused of favoritism (especially when a mod is active in the community- like they should be), the pay stinks, and there is no vacation time. :smallwink:

Roland St. Jude
2011-06-14, 09:53 PM
We don't take applications for moderators. When it comes to selecting new moderators, Warnings/Infractions would be something we took into account but not an absolute bar to selection.