PDA

View Full Version : Good spells for an abjurant champion?

Flame of Anor
2011-06-14, 03:06 PM
I'd like some good spells for my abjurant champion (base is Ftr/Wiz) to take. Shield is a no-brainer, of course. Is there something like Mage Armor that is abjuration, not conjuration? Other suggestions? Thanks!

(the Abjurant Champion can be found on p. 50 of Complete Mage)

veven
2011-06-14, 03:16 PM
Sadly there are not many options for Abjuration spells that add to AC. The typical answer, if you can stomach being really good, is the Luminous armor and Greater Luminous armor spells from the book of exalted crap. They grant a +5 and + 8 (respectively) armor bonus (so +10 and +13 as an Ab Champ 5) shed light like a daylight spell and all creatures who attack you take a -4 because of the brightness. They are a 2nd and 4th lvl spell. They have 1 hr/lvl duration.

The down side is that you take a bit a strength damage when the duration is up, but that shouldn't be a problem during a battle with such a long duration.

Keld Denar
2011-06-14, 03:19 PM
Do a forum seach for Gish spells. (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Agiantitp.com+gish+spells) There are at least a dozen lists already generated.

Flame of Anor
2011-06-14, 03:19 PM
Sadly there are not many options for Abjuration spells that add to AC. The typical answer, if you can stomach being really good, is the Luminous armor and Greater Luminous armor spells from the book of exalted crap. They grant a +5 and + 8 (respectively) armor bonus (so +10 and +13 as an Ab Champ 5) shed light like a daylight spell and all creatures who attack you take a -4 because of the brightness. They are a 2nd and 4th lvl spell. They have 1 hr/lvl duration.

The down side is that you take a bit a strength damage when the duration is up, but that shouldn't be a problem during a battle with such a long duration.

Wow, that's pretty good. I weep for my +18 to Hide checks, though...I don't suppose there's a dim version?

Godskook
2011-06-14, 03:23 PM
1.Full build please, include:
-What's set in stone cause you're mid-campaign
-What's desired
-Full lvl 20 goals

2.Greater Luminous Armor is the armor spell of choice for Abjurant Champions. [Good] only, so be sure to say your prayers at night.

3.General spell list suggestions for such a char are:
-Heart of Element X(Air/Water/Fire/Earth)
-Mirror Move/Heroics(feats galore!)
-Alter Self(Varag is a good lower-level pick)
-Whirling Blade
-Cloud of Knives/Steel Dance/Dancing Blade
-Greater Mighty Whallop
-Greater Magic Weapon

herrhauptmann
2011-06-14, 03:30 PM
A while back I was working on a swiftblade, and asked a similar question. Mainly because it only looked like someone had taken their favorite spells from the God wizard guide and reprinted them.
So, with some help from Shneekey the Lost, I ended up with this list.
1st Level Spells:
Grease (PHB)
Mage Armor (PHB)
Nerverskitter (SC)
Shield (PHB)
Fist of Stone (CArc)

2nd Level Spells:
Mirror Image (PHB)
Wraithstrike (SC)

3rd Level Spells:
Haste (PHB)
Dispel Magic (PHB)

4th Level Spells:

Dimension Door (PHB)
Polymorph (PHB)

5th Level Spells:
Acid Sheath (SC)
Baleful Polymorph(PHB)
Teleport (PHB)

6th Level Spells:
Disintegrate (PHB)
Contingency (PHB)
Greater Dispel Magic (SC)

7th Level Spells:
Energy Absorption (SC)
Force Cage (PHB)
Limited Wish (PHB)
Prismatic Spray (PHB)
Reverse Gravity (PHB)

8th Level Spells:
Mind Blank (PHB)
Polymorph Any Object (PHB)

9th Level Spells:
Time Stop (PHB)
Gate (PHB)
Shapechange (PHB)
Wish (PHB)
Also have a discussion regarding the spells here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187813)

edit:

Don't forget that an AbjChamp has extend spell, so they're 2 hours per level. I think the usual response is to bind something (Naberious?) to offset the strength damage within a few minutes.
Mind you, if you get dispelled mid-fight, your strength will drop then and there, rather than out of combat.

Wow, that's pretty good. I weep for my +18 to Hide checks, though...I don't suppose there's a dim version?
How do you have a +18 to hide as a fighter/wizard?
Perhaps cast darkness or deeper darkness on yourself? Within the range of the overlap, normal lighting conditions will prevail.

Flame of Anor
2011-06-14, 03:31 PM
1.Full build please, include:
-What's set in stone cause you're mid-campaign
-What's desired
-Full lvl 20 goals

NG male elf, Ranger 2, Fighter 2, Wizard 2, Abjurant Champion 2

Stats:

Str 18
Dex 20+2 (gloves of dex)
Con 10
Int 18
Wis 15
Cha 8

Feats:

Track
Point Blank Shot
Rapid Shot
Precise Shot
Weapon Focus: Longbow
Deadeye (Dragon 304 p.84), adds Dex mod to bow damage within 30 feet
Scribe Scroll
Combat Casting

Wields a +1 Shocking Mighty Composite Longbow (+3 Str.)
Wears +2 studded leather armor

2.Greater Luminous Armor is the armor spell of choice for Abjurant Champions. [Good] only, so be sure to say your prayers at night.

How do I get sanctified spells? Do I have to take a feat?

3.General spell list suggestions for such a char are:
-Heart of Element X(Air/Water/Fire/Earth)
-Mirror Move/Heroics(feats galore!)
-Alter Self(Varag is a good lower-level pick)
-Whirling Blade
-Cloud of Knives/Steel Dance/Dancing Blade
-Greater Mighty Whallop
-Greater Magic Weapon

I'll check those out.

herrhauptmann
2011-06-14, 03:40 PM
Sanctified spells, I believe you just have to be a preparation spell caster (no bards or sorc), and 'Good'. They're listed in BoED.

Those are some interesting stats you've got there.

Flame of Anor
2011-06-14, 03:51 PM
Sanctified spells, I believe you just have to be a preparation spell caster (no bards or sorc), and 'Good'. They're listed in BoED.

Okay, I'll check it out.

Those are some interesting stats you've got there.

Good rolls.

Keld Denar
2011-06-14, 04:11 PM
Did you see the linky I linky'd? It has a wealth of material on the first page alone. Check out all of those threads for more info.

Flame of Anor
2011-06-14, 04:14 PM
Did you see the linky I linky'd? It has a wealth of material on the first page alone. Check out all of those threads for more info.

You mean the search? Yes, I saw that--there's so much there I'm not sure where to start, though.

Keld Denar
2011-06-14, 04:37 PM
Well, you can't expect us to do ALL the work for you, right?

"Build a man a fire, keep him warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his (short) life."

herrhauptmann
2011-06-14, 05:09 PM
Well, you can't expect us to do ALL the work for you, right?

"Build a man a fire, keep him warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his (short) life."

That's why I keep one 'master' list linked in my sig, I just refer to that when making a gish character.

To OP:
Out of curiosity, why is your character 2/2/2/2? Why not a level in barbarian or warblade? I assume that the extra level in wizard was so that you could get 5 BAB, it's not like losing one more point of CL will really kill you.

Flame of Anor
2011-06-14, 05:19 PM
That's why I keep one 'master' list linked in my sig, I just refer to that when making a gish character.

To OP:
Out of curiosity, why is your character 2/2/2/2? Why not a level in barbarian or warblade? I assume that the extra level in wizard was so that you could get 5 BAB, it's not like losing one more point of CL will really kill you.

You're correct about the wizard level. I didn't take a barbarian level because it would be the wrong feel for the character, and I didn't know about warblades at the time.

Optimator
2011-06-14, 07:05 PM
Greater Luminous Armour and Rods of Bodily Restoration go hand-in-hand.