PDA

View Full Version : ‘Living Laser’ Engineered From Human Cells

SurlySeraph
2011-06-14, 05:01 PM
Medical researchers from Harvard University have created the first “living laser”; a biological cell that’s been genetically engineered to produce a visible laser beam. (http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/06/living-laser-genetics/) Using a human cell, green fluorescent protein, and a couple mirrors.

This is a huge step towards being able to shoot laser beams from our eyes.

Darklady2831
2011-06-14, 05:04 PM
That is just too cool. :smallcool:

Admiral Squish
2011-06-14, 05:05 PM
Personally, I'd prefer fingers to eyes as my mounting point of choice for lasers. Even if it's a non-damaging laser, I'd like to be able to use it like a built-in laser pointer.
With eyes, it could just be awkward. "What? No, I wasn't checking out your chest, I swear! What? Oh... Right, lasers. Crap."

Draconi Redfir
2011-06-14, 05:24 PM
this is why i love genetic engineering :smallcool:

pendell
2011-06-14, 05:41 PM
AMMA FIRIN MAH LASER!

Oh ... does this mean we are getting closer to sharks with laser beams in their heads? Awesome!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Eldan
2011-06-14, 05:44 PM
Right. Next step? There's bacteria with lenses inside their cells. Include that in the array, ditch the mirrors outside the cells.

Wayril
2011-06-14, 06:26 PM
The first step toward laser bears and laser cats. :smallsmile:

Comet
2011-06-14, 06:34 PM
The laser is alive. What has science done.

Seriously, though, this is pretty cool. Took me a while to think of a single reason for them to do something like this before I actually read the article, though. Shows how much I know.

Draconi Redfir
2011-06-14, 06:41 PM
Honestly who needs a reason besides "to see if we can" ?

Lord Raziere
2011-06-14, 06:44 PM
:smalleek:

just when you think the universe is sane....you find a scientist who made an organic cell emit a laser.

now combine that with the cells genetically engineered to act like batteries....

Whiffet
2011-06-14, 07:42 PM
"The cell also left the experiment unharmed." I think they flipped two words around, but instead I'm going to imagine the scientists fleeing in terror as the cell blasts away everything involved with the experiment. That should keep me entertained for, oh, a few minutes?

Timeless Error
2011-06-14, 07:49 PM
:smalleek: :eek:

Whoah...that is WEIRD. :eek:

rayne_dragon
2011-06-14, 08:12 PM
This is awesome... one day I might be able to have a cat that shoots green lasers out of its eyes. I'm also intrigued by the medical possibilities of this discovery.

Tyndmyr
2011-06-14, 11:01 PM

Seriously, though, this is pretty cool. Took me a while to think of a single reason for them to do something like this before I actually read the article, though. Shows how much I know.

Really? I can think of endless reasons to do something like this. Many of them involve the following phrases "sharks with frikkin lasers", "death ray", "mutant superpowers".

These people are my heroes.

Borgh
2011-06-15, 01:24 AM
This is awesome... one day I might be able to have a cat that shoots green lasers out of its eyes. I'm also intrigued by the medical possibilities of this discovery.

That will be one tired cat, as soon as it opens it eyes there is a laserpointer game going on.

Eldan
2011-06-15, 02:40 AM
That will be one tired cat, as soon as it opens it eyes there is a laserpointer game going on.

Phh. Constantly running. Of course not. As with the intracellular lenses, bacteria lalready have a solution for that. Pigment grains moving around in the cell. If we include some moveable Melanin, we can switch the laser on and off.

absolmorph
2011-06-15, 02:50 AM
Medical researchers from Harvard University have created the first “living laser”; a biological cell that’s been genetically engineered to produce a visible laser beam. (http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/06/living-laser-genetics/) Using a human cell, green fluorescent protein, and a couple mirrors.

Pew pew!

Their reason?
I'll bet their instinctive reason was "because it's awesome!" Then they came up with some excuse about academics and research and advancing technology.
But, really, this is about creating an organism that can shoot lasers.

Ravens_cry
2011-06-15, 02:59 AM
Well, they 'just' used the cell as a lasing medium, calling this a living laser is like calling a ruby a crystal laser, an artificial ruby been the very first lasing medium. Also, it lasted nanoseconds, light travels less then a third of a metre, 0.299792458 of a metre to be pretty exact, in a nanosecond. This is weird, this is cool, and who knows what applications this will have, but lets not get our hopes up.

Eldan
2011-06-15, 03:38 AM
Well, they 'just' used the cell as a lasing medium, calling this a living laser is like calling a ruby a crystal laser, an artificial ruby been the very first lasing medium. Also, it lasted nanoseconds, light travels less then a third of a metre, 0.299792458 of a metre to be pretty exact, in a nanosecond. This is weird, this is cool, and who knows what applications this will have, but lets not get our hopes up.

Breaking news! Scientists claim living cell identical to ruby!

Ravens_cry
2011-06-15, 04:43 AM
Breaking news! Scientists claim living cell identical to ruby!
Heck, it's not even the cell itself so much as the dye. Misleading science new headlines strike again!

Eldan
2011-06-15, 04:46 AM
Heck, it's not even the cell itself so much as the dye. Misleading science new headlines strike again!

Heh.

"Breaking News! Scientists invent dye that creates lasers! Are painters a threat to international security? More at eleven!"

Amiel
2011-06-15, 04:47 AM

Which will undoubtedly place us on the course to being able to shoot lasers from our mouths.

Eldan
2011-06-15, 04:48 AM
Personally, I'd like ear lasers.

No one would expect it!

Ravens_cry
2011-06-15, 04:50 AM
Heh.

"Breaking News! Scientists invent dye that creates lasers! Are painters a threat to international security? More at eleven!"
Hardly breaking (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dye_laser) news.:smallamused:

Amiel
2011-06-15, 04:51 AM
Personally, I'd like ear lasers.

No one would expect it!

Which could mean you may need to train your ears to swivel.

With mouth lasers, no one would expect the Spanish Inquisition laser; every time you open your mouth, the aftermath would be a surprise!

Eldan
2011-06-15, 04:52 AM
Which could mean you may need to train your ears to swivel.

With mouth lasers, no one would expect the Spanish Inquisition laser; every time you open your mouth, the aftermath would be a surprise!

I think we'd have to ship you to the Throat of the World with the Greybeards. You'd fit right in.

Amiel
2011-06-15, 04:54 AM
Imagine the possibilities

Of teaching cats to fire lasers from their mouths.

The perfect candidate;
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/5391/1b807851cb1f412483d20c5.jpg

kpenguin
2011-06-15, 05:00 AM
Is it terrible that my first thought upon seeing "Living laser" was of the Iron Man villain?

Phishfood
2011-06-15, 05:12 AM
AMMA FIRIN MAH LASER!

Oh ... does this mean we are getting closer to sharks with laser beams in their heads? Awesome!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Ninjad. Kinda.

Seriously guys, use shark cells. Sharks with lasers is way cooler than humans with lasers.

Guessing the power output on these things was pretty low though.

Amiel
2011-06-15, 05:18 AM
Seriously guys, use shark cells. Sharks with lasers is way cooler than humans with lasers.

Guessing the power output on these things was pretty low though.

Scientists should definitely adopt some form of protocol that allows them to harvest Mako shark brain cells to cure Alzheimer's disease. First, the Mako sharks' brain capacity must be exponentially increased for the appropriate synaptic corrective response to take place.

Worira
2011-06-15, 05:34 AM
Actually, were this to be adapted to produce a functional laser in a living macroorganism, sharks might end up being the best candidate, due to their extreme sensitivity to electric fields.

Phishfood
2011-06-15, 07:08 AM
Scientists should definitely adopt some form of protocol that allows them to harvest Mako shark brain cells to cure Alzheimer's disease. First, the Mako sharks' brain capacity must be exponentially increased for the appropriate synaptic corrective response to take place.

And then we could use the lasers to give them high visibility reverse lights for when they all start swimming backwards.

DemonicAngel
2011-06-15, 07:21 AM
Am I really the only one thinking about infra-red application? think about it, a computer/cellphone connection straight from your eyes/brain.

Yora
2011-06-15, 07:33 AM
Their reason?
The reason? "Because we can!"

And for the one reason that anything in the history of everything has ever been done:

"It seemed like a good idea at the time."

But at least, we have the robots (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KxjVlaLBmk) to protect us from laser firing mutants.

Actually, were this to be adapted to produce a functional laser in a living macroorganism, sharks might end up being the best candidate, due to their extreme sensitivity to electric fields.
Sharks with freakin laser beams in their heads?

Eldan
2011-06-15, 07:36 AM
But at least, we have the robots (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KxjVlaLBmk) to protect us from laser firing mutants.

Okay. We now have a robot who can try a noose and throw grenades.

Who thought that was a good idea, again?

Yora
2011-06-15, 07:38 AM
That thing is so fast, I think it could evade a rocket propelled grenade, catch it, and throw it back at the attacker before it explodes.

Eldan
2011-06-15, 07:40 AM
Well, gee. That's reassuring. :smalltongue:

As a biologist, I'll be over there with the laser-sharks, bee detectors and homing moths.

John Cribati
2011-06-15, 07:52 AM
"The cell also left the experiment unharmed." I think they flipped two words around, but instead I'm going to imagine the scientists fleeing in terror as the cell blasts away everything involved with the experiment. That should keep me entertained for, oh, a few minutes?

No, actually. It means that "When the cell left the experiment, it was unharmed."

People who make prosthetic limbs?

Eldan
2011-06-15, 07:53 AM
No, actually. It means that "When the cell left the experiment, it was unharmed."

Yes, but it's delightfully ambiguous.

Edit: Actually, so is your version, just slightly less so. Praise the English language.

Phishfood
2011-06-15, 12:45 PM
Yes, but it's delightfully ambiguous.

Edit: Actually, so is your version, just slightly less so. Praise the English language.

I'm now getting visions of a cell putting on a top hat and saying "ENOUGH with your experiment, I will not be treated like this. Good DAY sir!"

Teddy
2011-06-15, 04:12 PM
That thing is so fast, I think it could evade a rocket propelled grenade, catch it, and throw it back at the attacker before it explodes.

Technically, the more advanced RPGs of today don't explode on impact but rather based on their position relative to the target, so grappling it would be of no avail.

Also, rockets are much faster than depicted in most games of today (movies tend to do it better). Catching one requires a speed which is many times greater than the one required for a juggled mobile phone.

Worira
2011-06-15, 05:37 PM
Fun fact: an RPG is still an extremely lethal projectile, even without the exploding thing. It will just kind of impale you.

Teddy
2011-06-15, 06:18 PM
Fun fact: an RPG is still an extremely lethal projectile, even without the exploding thing. It will just kind of impale you.

Although you'd have to leave out the G for some other letter. J, perhaps, as in Rocket Propelled Javelin. :smallwink:

LaZodiac
2011-06-15, 06:28 PM
Well, most RPGs that I see (atleast, those translated into game medium) have pointed fronts. If it doesn't explode, that point end will hit you. Going at the speeds RPGs tend to go, that will atleast shove some of itself through your flesh, if not fully impaling you.

Teddy
2011-06-15, 06:32 PM
Actually, most have flattened tips (I don't know, but it could be for the detonator), but at those speeds, the shape doesn't really matter especially much.

SurlySeraph
2011-06-15, 07:59 PM
There was a case a couple years ago (http://militarytimes.com/news/2007/09/army_rpg_moss_070922w/) where a soldier was hit with an RPG, which lodged in him and didn't detonate. His squad put him on a medevac helicopter (in blatant defiance of regulations), and the surgeons managed to take it out of him with no explosions. He survived. Here's an interview with him. (http://www.militarytimes.com/multimedia/video/?bcrefid=808163493#/Live+RPG+removed+from+soldier/51745112001)

Tyndmyr
2011-06-15, 08:18 PM

I'm confused as to how it could be anything else. I, for one, welcome our grenade throwing robotic overlords.

If it makes you feel better, they've already made robots that fuel themselves by eating organic matter. How do they get this organic matter, you ask? Dual wielding chainsaws, good sir. The way god intended.

Amiel
2011-06-15, 10:30 PM
And then we could use the lasers to give them high visibility reverse lights for when they all start swimming backwards.

They had better also make that beeping noise, like all good reversible objects should; else, I'd be inclined to ask for my money back.

Eldan
2011-06-16, 02:40 AM
If it makes you feel better, they've already made robots that fuel themselves by eating organic matter. How do they get this organic matter, you ask? Dual wielding chainsaws, good sir. The way god intended.

Yeah, I know those. But that just makes them the robot equivalent of animals. But grenades and nooses? Damn you, science, that's Man's domain! Also, that of apes, monkeys, squirrels, dolphins, a lot of birds and maybe some cephalopods and cats. But not robots!

drakir_nosslin
2011-06-16, 03:28 AM

As a biologist, I'll be over there with the laser-sharks, bee detectors and homing moths.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/cuttlefish.png

Gullintanni
2011-06-16, 08:13 AM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/cuttlefish.png

I'm sad that the alt text didn't carry over :smallfrown:

Eldan
2011-06-16, 08:30 AM
The problem with cuttlefish intelligence is that they don't live long enough, usually (Around 2 years, I think?). By the time they have learned a few tricks, they are already close to death again.

Asta Kask
2011-06-16, 09:13 AM
Eldan, what kind of a super-weapon could be made bees with lasers?

Eldan
2011-06-16, 09:37 AM
Bees with lasers?

Heh. First of all? Solitary bees. They can dig a meter deep into the ground (while being slightly over a centimeter big themselves) or into a wall. Perfect infiltrators. Some bees are only a few millimeters long. Or you could do the classic and outfit a honeybee swarm with a few thousand lasers.

Draconi Redfir
2011-06-16, 09:38 AM

this made me lol. +1 internets.

as a genetic engineer ill come with you and make them stronger to fight the comeing robot menice.

Dvandemon
2011-06-17, 06:58 PM

You forgot the Cuttlefish. Camouflaged, super-intelligent, laser cephalopods FTW.

Amiel
2011-06-17, 11:02 PM
You forgot the Cuttlefish. Camouflaged, super-intelligent, laser cephalopods FTW.

Don't forget the hyper-intelligent, prescient octopus.
I for one, welcome our cephalopod overlords.