PDA

View Full Version : Invocation Durration

Beelzebub1111
2011-06-14, 08:33 PM
Some invocations don't have durations listed, like Entropic Warding. How long do they last?

Halae
2011-06-14, 08:35 PM
generally, if an invocation doesn't state a duration, you can assume it lasts for 24 hours, which is pretty damn cool.

dextercorvia
2011-06-14, 08:39 PM
Just remember to cast it a couple dozen times between each encounter, so that if you get hit with a Dispel Magic, chances are, it won't take them all down.

Fax Celestis
2011-06-14, 08:41 PM
generally, if an invocation doesn't state a duration, you can assume it lasts for 24 hours, which is pretty damn cool.

...unless it says "as the spell", in which case use the spell's stats.

OracleofWuffing
2011-06-14, 08:55 PM
Looks like you're not the first one to have that question (http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-legacy-discussion/156087-warlock-entropic-warding-invocation.html)! :smallsmile:
One of the points brought up in that link, is that since Invocations are pretty much cast at-will, even if it keys off of other spell durations (such as Entropic Shield's min/level and Pass Without Trace's hour/level, if that is the case), you can just invoke them every waking minute, so they're effectively always up if you're awake. At that point, it becomes annoying to set a stopwatch for recasting, and some DMs will just accept that you're constantly keeping it up without mentioning it. (Ask your DM before assuming this, though.)

Veyr
2011-06-14, 09:09 PM
For the sake of going to your DM with evidence, you might look at the rules for the Binder's Supernatural abilities: they specifically state that if the ability does not have a listed duration and does not have a cooldown, it is constantly on for the duration of the Pact, even if it mimics a spell that would normally have a duration.

I believe the book explicitly cites this as a matter of convenience, to not have to continually be keeping track of the durations.

Cog
2011-06-14, 10:33 PM
Just remember to cast it a couple dozen times between each encounter, so that if you get hit with a Dispel Magic, chances are, it won't take them all down.
You might not want to have too many castings up. Some dispel effects have secondary penalties when they're effective, and the more ongoing effects you have up, the more pain you're going to eat.

dextercorvia
2011-06-14, 10:39 PM
You might not want to have too many castings up. Some dispel effects have secondary penalties when they're effective, and the more ongoing effects you have up, the more pain you're going to eat.

Reciprocal Gyre is the only one I know. That can be defeated several ways at the level it becomes available. Are there any others?

Fax Celestis
2011-06-14, 10:41 PM
Slashing dispel, for starters.

dextercorvia
2011-06-14, 10:44 PM
Slashing dispel, for starters.

I don't know how I missed that one. I was explicitly searching the PHBII for dispels the other day, because I like that 2nd level one.

The Shadowmind
2011-06-15, 12:16 AM
Voracious Dispelling invocation is another. 1 damage per spell level dispelled, no save.

Ernir
2011-06-15, 05:49 AM
Reciprocal Gyre is the only one I know. That can be defeated several ways at the level it becomes available. Are there any others?

Magical Backlash, Drow of the Underdark.

squeekenator
2011-06-15, 06:24 AM
And the Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil's kaleidoscopic doom, which is a rather deadly one.

KillianHawkeye
2011-06-15, 06:59 AM

No you can't. While it's true that several invocations have a 24 hour duration, 24 hours is not by any means the default duration of invocations in general.

dextercorvia
2011-06-15, 08:25 AM
Then I'm going to rephrase, and say it is a good tactic until your DM tires of it. Then, he has a whole bunch of ways to screw with you.