PDA

View Full Version : An Idea for the Playground

vartan
2011-06-15, 12:09 AM
Apologies if this isn't original, and before you call it sub-optimal or lame- I know that it would not be for everyone.

1) As an Expert you get d6 hit die. Simple Weapon Proficiency and Light Armor proficiency. Then you are supposed to pick 10 skills as class skills to spend your 6+Int mod skill points on.
I pick: Decipher Script, Spellcraft, Knowledge (Arcana), Use Magic Device, and some others- Profession, Craft, what have you.

2) I play as a human (yay more skill points) and for my two starting feats I pick Skill Focus (UMD) and Magical Aptitude- these bonuses stack, no? Assuming I get an 18 INT, put full ranks into my important skills, and I talk the DM into the Masterwork Tool for UMD that is sometimes discussed here. I could have a +15 on my UMD.

3) By the time I reach second level, because of synergies from Spellcraft and Decipher Script I could have a +20 on the UMD check for scrolls. I auto-succeed the UMD check for 0 and 1st level spells.

The synergies also kick in to help me identify scrolls and spells contained within wands, spells being cast, etc.

Imagine playing this in a particular sort of setting- a magocracy where a normal man cannot be schooled in the Art, but this particular scribe figures out a trick or two.

Godskook
2011-06-15, 01:04 AM
1.Yes we know about it.

2.In an low-magic, mundane NPC only campaign, that would be a decent build, if the DM ok'ed it.

vartan
2011-06-15, 10:17 AM
Well what other 10 skills cobbled together under the Expert title make up something fun to play just out of curiousity?

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-15, 11:12 AM
Factotum is much better for this. Everything is a class skill for them, and Iaijutsu Focus is Cha based like UMD, leading into item gishing.

Vladislav
2011-06-15, 01:41 PM
Well what other 10 skills cobbled together under the Expert title make up something fun to play just out of curiousity?Handle Animal for action economy. And it's Charisma-based too, and just like UMD, calls for all sorts of abuses.

Radar
2011-06-15, 02:07 PM
Handle Animal for action economy. And it's Charisma-based too, and just like UMD, calls for all sorts of abuses.
Action economy and brute force (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7097263&postcount=38).

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-15, 02:16 PM
Action economy and brute force (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7097263&postcount=38).

Battletitan! You get three 36 HD creatures at level four, and three of those levels are commoner levels.

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-15, 03:04 PM
Now I have this sudden urge to max out handle animal in my next character...