PDA

View Full Version : Best 3.5e Monster Books?

HunterOfJello
2011-06-15, 12:29 AM
I currently own copies of the MM1, MM3, and Fiend Folio which I use for monsters while DMing. I'm going to have some extra cash soon and was wondering if there were any other 3.5e books that anyone would suggest investing in. Right now I'm DMing an Eberron campaign and the party now turning level 11. I'm generally looking for a book with cool monsters and higher CR monsters that would be appropriate for this level of party.

I've heard that that MM2 is full of old-school d&d monsters, but that it wasn't designed as well as the later Monster Manuals and has many monsters in it that were given inappropriate CRs. I also took a gander at the Monsters of Faerun book at a used bookstore today, but I think the highest CR monster in it was CR 14 which makes most of the monsters in it just cannon fodder for this party.

So, what are your favorite 3.5e Monster books to use for generating monsters in games?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-06-15, 12:35 AM
I am really fond on the MM IV; but that is mostly because I really liked the spawn of Tiamat.

supermonkeyjoe
2011-06-15, 08:43 AM
For Eberron I would say you've got the best non-core monster book with the Monster Manual 3, there are also a smattering of Eberron specific monsters in the various Eberron books.

Monster manual 2 is 3.0 so requires a bit of conversion and the CRs are notoriously badly calculated.

I don't have Monster Manial 4 or 5 but from what I've read they are quite padded out with the new statblock style and lots of scaled up monsters from MM

Eldan
2011-06-15, 08:46 AM
I actually like the books that have fewer monsters, but give more lore on them. Lords of Madness, Draconomicon, Bookus Doglatinicus Undeadus and so on.

ShriekingDrake
2011-06-15, 09:00 AM
There are some great critters in the environment books (Frostburn, Sandstorm, and Stormwrack) and I liked the 3rd-party Tome of Horrors (White Wolf Publishing) series and the Denizens of Avadnu (The Inner Circle) to draw monsters from a new quiver.

Shadowknight12
2011-06-15, 09:04 AM
I am really fond on the MM IV; but that is mostly because I really liked the spawn of Tiamat.

Ditto, but in my case, it's the Verdant Prince.

Frostburn is rather good, as well, but woefully limited if you're not into cold creatures. My personal favourite is Libris Mortis, because you can never have enough undead. No exceptions.

Lastgrasp
2011-06-15, 10:15 AM
Book of Fiends by Green Ronin. Compiles Armies of the Abyss and legions of Hells into one hardcover and updates to 3.5

Monster Manual V: Thoon........far realms goodness!

Lords of Madness: Great Read on awesome monsters.

Creature Collection I, II, III: The first book was revised to 3.5 and the third is book is 3.5. Geared towards the scarred lands, but has a nice mix of creatures to surprise your group. The last Scarred Lands Hardback called Lost Tribes has a ton of monsters too.

Tome of Horror series is golden.

Vigil Watch: Warrens of the Ratmen: A whole book on Slitheran ratman with a few monsters thrown in. It's 3.0 but some great inspirations despite being a Scarred Lands product.

Fiendish Codex I & II: Info on monsters of the Abyss and Hell.

Lastgrasp
2011-06-15, 10:17 AM
The Carrion Crown Adventure Path Wake of the Watcher has an expanded bestiary based on Call of Cthulhu monsters that is quite awesome. It just came out and there also a section on using the Cthulhu Mythos in your game.