PDA

View Full Version : Oh Noes Beware the Rage Mage!

Morbis Meh
2011-06-15, 01:57 AM
Howdy Folks!

I have a friend who will be playing a Barb 1/Sorc 4/Rage Mage X, in an upcoming campaign and she wanted a little help with feat, spell and item selection. This is legit, the sorc is a battle sorc variant from UA, and the build is not alterable period! This is what she wants so please no negative comments about the build.

Her stats are as follows:
Race: Spellscale
Str-13
Dex-14
Con-13
Int-9
Wis-12
Cha-18

She has 2 flaws so here are her current feat selections we are starting at level 5:
F1- Combat casting
F2-?
1-?
3-Practiced Spell Caster
6-?
9-?

we are standard WBL, and she wants to be a blaster, so any positive imput would be appreciated thank you!

AdalKar
2011-06-15, 04:29 AM
Maybe this isn't helping you much, but I would recommend taking Power Attack as one feat and later Arcane Strike (Complete Warrior p.96).
Use the spell Whirling Blade (Complete Arcane p.139) for "blasting", as it counts as a melee attack, hence Power Attack and Arcane Strike.

You will have a blast, that can deal a nice amount of damage (nothing really optimized but it's decent I think) and it can differentiate between friend and foe.

Hope that helps a bit. :smallsmile:

Glimbur
2011-06-15, 08:23 AM
Metamagic rods can be quite nice, and they are reasonably priced for, say, Lesser Extend which can make a choice buff or two last much longer.

Can you talk to the DM about getting more casting progression on Rage Mage? 5/10 is too little to really be an effective spellcaster, and if I remember correctly it is only 3/4 BAB which is less than ideal for a weapon using character.

What sources are you allowed? Wraithstrike, a second level spell from Spell Compendium, is crazy good. A Circlet of Rapid Casting from Magic Item Compendium can be quite helpful at low levels.

Fouredged Sword
2011-06-15, 08:47 AM
I am away from book right now, but I could see a great use for stoping rage mage somepoint after level 2 and takeing that PRC (i don't remember the name... something champion.), but it grants full bab and spellcasting.

Get some nice spells to use wile rageing and shield. Your shield spell will rock (+7 armor I think), and it becomes a swift action, so you can cast it, rage, and then charge in one round.

Then I think maybe the schocktrooper line. You will need to hit, and schocktrooper helps alot.

Jump is aon your class list, so martial study (sudden leap) is a good choice, also as it open up Matrial stance (blood in the water) for crit-fishing.

I second power attack and arcane strike as vital. It's a good use for those spells you can't always cast in a rage.

Also a dip into duskblade for mare level one spells and casting into an attack would be useful. I also think it grants combat casting for free, but I am AFB right now, so I may be wrong about that.

The Random NPC
2011-06-15, 08:53 AM
Would that be Abjurant Champion?

Amphetryon
2011-06-15, 09:18 AM
Barbarian 1/Sorcerer 4/Rage Mage 10/Abjurant Champion 5.

1: Combat Casting, Extra Rage, Power Attack (from 2 flaws. Shaky/Vulnerable for preference if not set in stone).
3: Practiced Caster
6: Arcane Strike
9: Shock Trooper (AC can be replaced with Miss Chances fairly reliably)
12: Leap Attack
15: Martial Study: Rabid Wolf Strike (Sudden Leap has a prerequisite)
18: Martial Stance: Leaping Dragon Stance

Use metamagic rods instead of using your feat slots for them.

Fouredged Sword
2011-06-15, 09:24 AM
Abjurant Champion, yes, that is the one. Good class, but I just knew that I was going to mangle the spelling and name if I tried to type it.

Keld Denar
2011-06-15, 09:28 AM
You could do Suel Rage Mage...

Barb2/Fighter2/Duskblade2/Suel4/RageMage10

A bit late of a bloomer, but very gishy in a berzerking kinda way...maybe cut off the last 2 levels of Rage Mage and replace with AbjChamp to get 10/10 Suel casting? I dunno.

Master_Rahl22
2011-06-15, 11:19 AM
I'm not familiar with the Battle Sorc variant, does it get 3/4 or full BAB? If not, this build doesn't qualify for Rage Mage. BAB +4 is one of the requirements, and Barb 1/Sorc 4 only gets you +3, so either another level of a Full BAB class is required or 2 more levels of Sorc.

As for feats, Extra Rage will be handy since you'll only have 3/day by character level 14.

If it's available and your friend is interested in Magic of Incarnum, there are some nifty feats to be had there. Cobalt Rage is a feat that you can invest Essentia into to get a bonus to damage and Will saves when Raging. Shape Soulmeld can get you quite a few useful Soulmelds, which are all day magical effects that can take up magic item slots. One nice one for blasters is the soulmeld Arcane Focus which increases the damage you deal with arcane spells that deal damage by 1 + 1/essentia. The nifty thing is that it specifies that spells such as Magic Missile that divide damage between targets apply it to each target. Rageclaws would fit the Rage Mage concept well, and make it so you can function completely as normal when at 0 through -9 HP.

sonofzeal
2011-06-15, 11:29 AM
Extra Rage and Extend Rage are crucial. Intimidating Rage is also excellent, given that Charisma. Fear-stacking is a wonderful thing.

Combat Casting is terrible. Ask your DM if you can take "Skill Focus: Concentration" instead. It's +3 instead of +4, but applies on every Concentration check.

Has your friend seen the Duskblade class in PHB2? I know you said the build is non-negotiable, but I'd run it by her anyway, as I think it does exactly what she wants to do, and far more easily than Rage Mage.

Morbis Meh
2011-06-15, 12:33 PM
I'm not familiar with the Battle Sorc variant, does it get 3/4 or full BAB? If not, this build doesn't qualify for Rage Mage. BAB +4 is one of the requirements, and Barb 1/Sorc 4 only gets you +3, so either another level of a Full BAB class is required or 2 more levels of Sorc.

Battle Sorc allows 3/4 BAB progression which adds to +4 in total wih Barb 1/Sorc 4.

Has your friend seen the Duskblade class in PHB2? I know you said the build is non-negotiable, but I'd run it by her anyway, as I think it does exactly what she wants to do, and far more easily than Rage Mage.

She does know of this class we had someone play one in a previous campaign. We are basically allowed all WotC sources (so no dragon mags) and our DM has banned MoI and generally dislikes ToM.

Can you talk to the DM about getting more casting progression on Rage Mage? 5/10 is too little to really be an effective spellcaster, and if I remember correctly it is only 3/4 BAB which is less than ideal for a weapon using character.

I will see what I can do but I really doubt it, our DM generally is a straight shooter but I will see what I can do to help the cause.

Barbarian 1/Sorcerer 4/Rage Mage 10/Abjurant Champion 5.

1: Combat Casting, Extra Rage, Power Attack (from 2 flaws. Shaky/Vulnerable for preference if not set in stone).
3: Practiced Caster
6: Arcane Strike
9: Shock Trooper (AC can be replaced with Miss Chances fairly reliably)
12: Leap Attack
15: Martial Study: Rabid Wolf Strike (Sudden Leap has a prerequisite)
18: Martial Stance: Leaping Dragon Stance

Can't do Shock Trooper without improved bullrush

You could do Suel Rage Mage
source?
The player will not change the build because she likes the flavour of the class, so please refrain from trying to cut out rage mage, I have already suggested abjurant champion and I may be able to get her to take it along with RM.

Doc Roc
2011-06-15, 12:43 PM
Imperious Commanndddddddd. Instantaneous Ragggeeee. Intimidating rageeee....

F1- Combat casting
F2-Imperious Command?
1-Intimidating Rage
3-Practiced Spell Caster
6-Instantaneous Rage
9-Power Attack

The never outnumbered skill trickkkkk. I hear you like some battlefield control with your (wo)manly rage.

Flickerdart
2011-06-15, 01:01 PM
There's also a feat that lets you share Rage with a mount, and a casting PrC based around riding a Wild Cohort. If your friend is willing to take another PrC in conjunction with Rage Mage, it could be interesting.

Amphetryon
2011-06-15, 01:03 PM
Can't do Shock Trooper without improved bullrush

Oops. I thought there was an item or locale that gave Improved Bullrush? Maybe it was homebrew or the product of my fevered imaginations.

NeoSeraphi
2011-06-15, 01:44 PM
If she wants to be a blaster, I suggest taking one of the Reserved feats from Complete Mage. You can use Reserve Feats while enraged, and that means she can shoot lightning or lob acid while enraged. (Which I think is what she's going for, but Battle Sorcerer has less spells/day, so an unlimited lightning bolt might be helpful)

Keld Denar
2011-06-15, 02:13 PM
Suel Arcanamach is in Complete Arcane. Its a 10 level PrC that grants spontaneous spellcasting from levels 1-5 from Transmutation, Illusion, Abjuration, and Divination. So, basically all of the really good defensive schools.

Extra Rage is a REALLY good idea. It adds to ALL rage and rage-like abilities. Thus, you would start off Rage Mage with 3/day Spell Rage, which is incredibly useful.

Doc Roc
2011-06-15, 02:39 PM
Suel Arcanamach is in Complete Arcane. Its a 10 level PrC that grants spontaneous spellcasting from levels 1-5 from Transmutation, Illusion, Abjuration, and Divination. So, basically all of the really good defensive schools.

Extra Rage is a REALLY good idea. It adds to ALL rage and rage-like abilities. Thus, you would start off Rage Mage with 3/day Spell Rage, which is incredibly useful.

I'm not a very big fan of suel arcanamach, particularly for something where the player wants to be a bit blasty.

Flickerdart
2011-06-15, 02:44 PM
Ah, here we are. Silverwood Arcanist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031209a) for the riding PrC, Mounted Fury (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031125a) for the feat. If you don't intend to buff your mount you only need three levels.

Keld Denar
2011-06-15, 02:45 PM
I like its simple elegance, but I'll agree with you here...its not very blasty (unless you consider Whirling Blade a blasting spell).

Doc Roc
2011-06-15, 02:57 PM
I like its simple elegance, but I'll agree with you here...its not very blasty (unless you consider Whirling Blade a blasting spell).

I don't, really, I'm afraid. I think imperious command has a chance to make a really phenomenal showing here.

Fuhrmaaj
2011-06-15, 03:10 PM
If your friend decides to stick with Sorcerer, make sure she has access to Races of the Dragon for the spells Wings of Cover and Mighty Wallop.

When cast (as a swift action) Wings of Cover grants you full cover against one attack, which synergizes well with Rage or Shock Trooper because you'll be more vulnerable. The ability to ignore one full BAB attack per turn is really handy. It's a second level spell, so if you can get to a point where you can cast a lot of those then you're in really good shape for an adventure. This spell is Sorcerer only

Greater Mighty Wallop lasts all day as a 3rd level spell. It significantly increases the damage of bludgeoning weapons, which is great for Barbarians. This is a Transmutation buff and might not be as good as other buffs at 3rd level, but if you're going the Whirling Strike = blaster route then it can be a lot of fun.

Morbis Meh
2011-06-15, 03:40 PM
Thank you everyone for your suggestions it is greatly appreciated and I have presented your suggestions to her.