PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e D&D] Siphoner [WIP]

InaVegt
2011-06-15, 05:02 AM
Preamble: This class is meant as a replacement for the Spellthief, it does essentially the same thing, but I believe it does it better. :smallcool:

Siphoner
{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th

1st|+0|+0|+2|+2|Siphon Spell (1st level), Sneak Attack +1d6|2|—|—|—|—|—|—

2nd|+1|+0|+3|+3|Siphon Spell-Like Ability|3|0|—|—|—|—|—

3rd|+2|+1|+3|+3|Siphon Spell (2nd level), Sneak Attack +2d6|3|1|—|—|—|—|—

4th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Siphoned Knowledge|3|2|0|—|—|—|—

5th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Siphon Spell (3rd level)|3|3|1|—|—|—|—

6th|+4|+2|+5|+5|Sneak Attack +3d6|3|3|2|—|—|—|—

7th|+5|+2|+5|+5|Siphon Spell (4th level)|3|3|2|0|—|—|—

8th|+6/+1|+2|+6|+6|Siphoned Knowledge|3|3|3|1|—|—|—

9th|+6/+1|+3|+6|+6|Siphon Spell (5th level), Sneak Attack +4d6|3|3|3|2|—|—|—

10th|+7/+2|+3|+7|+7||3|3|3|2|0|—|—

11th|+8/+3|+3|+7|+7|Siphon Spell (6th level)|3|3|3|3|1|—|—

12th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+8|Sneak Attack +5d6, Siphoned Knowledge|3|3|3|3|2|—|—

13th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+8|Siphon Spell (7th level)|3|3|3|3|2|0|—

14th|+10/+5|+4|+9|+9||4|3|3|3|3|1|—

15th|+11/+6/+1|+5|+9|+9|Siphon Spell (8th level), Sneak Attack +6d6|4|4|3|3|3|2|—

16th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+10|Siphoned Knowledge|4|4|4|3|3|2|0

17th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+10|Siphon Spell (9th level)|4|4|4|4|3|3|1

18th|+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+11|Sneak Attack +7d6|4|4|4|4|4|3|2

19th|+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+11||4|4|4|4|4|4|3

20th|+15/+10/+5|+6|+12|+12|Siphoned Knowledge|4|4|4|4|4|4|4

[/table]

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d6

Class Skills:
Class Skills
Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier

Spells Known
{table]Level|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th

1st|4|—|—|—|—|—|—

2nd|5|21|—|—|—|—|—

3rd|6|3|—|—|—|—|—

4th|6|3|21|—|—|—|—

5th|6|4|3|—|—|—|—

6th|6|4|3|—|—|—|—

7th|6|4|4|21|—|—|—

8th|6|4|4|3|—|—|—

9th|6|4|4|3|—|—|—

10th|6|4|4|4|21|—|—

11th|6|4|4|4|3|—|—

12th|6|4|4|4|3|—|—

13th|6|4|4|4|4|21|—

14th|6|4|4|4|4|3|—

15th|6|4|4|4|4|3|—

16th|6|5|4|4|4|4|21

17th|6|5|5|4|4|4|3

18th|6|5|5|5|4|4|3

19th|6|5|5|5|5|4|4

20th|6|5|5|5|5|5|4

[/table]

1 Provided the Siphoner has a high enough Charisma score to have a bonus spell of this level.

Class Features

Spells The Siphoner casts and learns spells like a Sorcerer. Excepting the different spells per day and the different spells known, it is identical. The Siphoner thus draws spells from the Sorcerer/Wizard Spell list, and can even learn spells that are exclusive to Sorcerers. (But not spells that are exclusive to Wizards.)

Sneak Attack Works like the rogue's class feature of the same name. Except as otherwise noted within this class.

Siphon Spell A Siphoner can Siphon spells. This requires either a successful melee touch attack or a successful melee sneak attack on a target. In the latter case, 1d6 is subtracted from the Siphoner's sneak attack damage. This has no effect on targets who don't cast spells. The target loses one spell prepared (in the case of prepared casters) or one spell slot and Spell Known (in the case of spontaneous casters) of the level chosen by the Siphoner (but no higher than the maximum indicated in the table.) Spells Known lost due to Siphoning return after a full minute of silent concentration to reorient one's mind. Siphoned spells or spell slots are considered to have been cast by the target, as such, they can be regained in the normal ways.

The Siphoner can attempt to Siphon a specific spell, and if it is available, that spell is Siphoned. If that spell is not available, a random spell of that level is chosen from the targeted caster's spells prepared (if the target prepares spells) or known (if he doesn't.)

The Siphoner can do one of three things with a Siphoned spell. First, he can cast it as though the original caster he stole it from cast it, much like one would cast a spell from a wand. Second, he can absorb the spell's energy, and regain one spell slot of the Siphoned spell's level or lower. Third, he can absorb the spell's patterns, and add the spell to his spells known for one round per Siphoner level. This decision need not be made at the time the spell is Siphoned, but Siphoned spells ebb away one minute after originally being siphoned.

Siphon Spell-Like Ability Starting at 2nd level, the Siphoner can Siphon Spell-Like Abilities. This works identical to Siphon Spell, except the Siphoner has to choose a Spell Like Ability (or have one randomly chosen) from the target. The target loses one periodic usage of the Spell-Like Ability, unless it can normally be used at will, in which case the target loses usage of the Spell-Like Ability until it has had a chance to reorient itself with one minute of silent concentration. For the purpose of using the siphoned spell, it is considered to be of a level equal to the highest level spell the Siphoner can Siphon.

Siphoned Knowledge At 4th level, and every four levels thereafter, the Siphoner can choose one of his spells known slots to become a Siphoned Knowledge spell slot. From that moment on, the Siphoner can replace the spell known in that spell slot by absorbing a Siphoned spell. If he does that, the spell put into that spell slot is considered a known spell for all purposes. The spell that was previously in the Siphoned Knowledge spell slot is forgotten. A Siphoned Knowledge spell slot can only hold spells of the slot's level or lower. A Siphoned Knowledge spell slot can be overwritten as many times as the Siphoner has the chance to absorb a spell into it.

------

Note that this class isn't nearly done yet, I have lots of cool Siphoning related stuff to add. Do tell me what you think of what I've done so far though.

Reinboom
2011-06-15, 06:36 AM
If that spell is not available, a random spell of that level is chosen from the targeted caster's spell.

This is not very clear.

The Siphoner can do three things with a Siphoned spell.

You may wish to state
"The Siphoner can do one of three things with a Siphoned spell."

Siphoned Knowledge
This section appears to be missing mentions of if that spell slot stays as a siphoned knowledge spell slot or not. Specifically, once I replace my spell known, can I use that slot to replace the new spell with yet another spell known?

InaVegt
2011-06-15, 06:39 AM
This is not very clear.

You may wish to state
"The Siphoner can do one of three things with a Siphoned spell."

This section appears to be missing mentions of if that spell slot stays as a siphoned knowledge spell slot or not. Specifically, once I replace my spell known, can I use that slot to replace the new spell with yet another spell known?

All these should be fixed.

Esser-Z
2011-06-15, 08:44 AM
It... does just take things away TEMPORARILY, right? Sucking spell slots FOREVER would be a wee bit much, methinks.

InaVegt
2011-06-15, 08:47 AM
It... does just take things away TEMPORARILY, right? Sucking spell slots FOREVER would be a wee bit much, methinks.

There, clarified.

Delegreg
2011-06-15, 12:15 PM
Hi,and thanks for building this,
i'm currently playing a spellthief and have lots of expectations lookin at homebrews like this one.

Think about weapons/armors/shields. Think about arcane failure. Act upon that,your siphon is either armored or not.

Skills desperately needed : spellcraft,knowledge arcane, knowledge X (needed to know if enemy type is a caster,the planes for outsiders etc.), consider adding gather info for the city dwellin siphon

You should provide a mechanism to determine what to steal, like the spellthief "discover" ability (ie : i don't know he has fireball until he uses it,and after he uses it,i don't care if he has it,i want to know if he's got enregy resistance ;-))

Siphon spell-like ability should state that spell-like abilities are capped by the siphon spell level limit. As stated, a 2nd level Siphoner could siphon wish from a genie,way OP.

Energy storage always seem to be a problem with spellthief types,your one minute solution covers most combat situations, but prevents planning and/or strategy (i typically start my day by stealing one of the cleric's cure spell...)

Siphon Knowledge seems interesting, but is in fact, only a way to get more spell versatility.This is one of the spellthief traditional problems : am i one of the group's casters ?

Stealing spells costs actions. Casting spells costs actions. So in combat,the siphon is going to be either one or the other,but not likely both. Having a more variable spells known list seems pointless to me. (but hey, i'm playing with 1 arcane and 1 divine caster, so even without enemies,i still have some repertoire)

Keep up the good work, you're doing fine.