PDA

View Full Version : Thompson and Thomson

ExemplarofAvg
2011-06-15, 07:39 AM
In a campaign I'm building I'm trying to make a government type group, in the style of the CIA, FBI, CSIS, The Pinkertons, Some Shield Operatives, Men in Black or basically any other group of secet operatives who cover up their work and conceal events.

Eldan
2011-06-15, 07:47 AM
Well, that's nice.

What exactly do you need help with? Statting them? Fluff ideas?

ExemplarofAvg
2011-06-15, 07:56 AM
Crap, forgot that part, the most important part. I'm looking for a class that would help fit that theme I know Ninja works for not being seen, Ranger works for tracking down specific people. But I'm thinking of some class that if a group of people were to all take it, it wouldn't be crippled. I thought a Ninja/Soul Knife Getsalt might be neat to get a Sudden Psychic Strike while perfectly invisible.

TroubleBrewing
2011-06-15, 08:02 AM
Factotum.

Faaaaacccctttoooottttuuuuummmm.

Volthawk
2011-06-15, 08:04 AM
Factotum.

Faaaaacccctttoooottttuuuuummmm.

Indeed. Factotum gives a good bit of versatility that helps them out, given that they get all skills and can improve most facets of their abilities if needed. Also, they get some magic, like, say, illusions.

Beguiler would work as well, given their speciality in illusions and enchantments.

TroubleBrewing
2011-06-15, 08:09 AM
Yeah. But not Ninja. Never, ever Ninja. Or Soulknife.

Even less Soulknife than Ninja, and there should be no Ninja at all.

Yeah, wrap your brain around THAT conundrum.

Instead of those two terrible choices, try Swordage! It's better. :smallbiggrin:

ExemplarofAvg
2011-06-15, 08:14 AM
Looking for more Fluff than power.

Cog
2011-06-15, 08:18 AM
Factotum still works well. It's also not super-powerful so much as actually competent.

Feytalist
2011-06-15, 08:28 AM
Do they all need to be the same class? If not, then Justicar, Bloodhound or Spymaster might have what you need.

All prestige classes though.

TroubleBrewing
2011-06-15, 08:35 AM

Then re-fluff useful classes however you like. No need to take levels in Paladin to be a paladin, Cleric works just fine.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-06-15, 08:40 AM
Alright, I pose an alternate question, is there any known way to effectively erase ones mind, either full or sectioned in DnD.

Asheram
2011-06-15, 08:52 AM
Alright, I pose an alternate question, is there any known way to effectively erase ones mind, either full or sectioned in DnD.

Modify Memory (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/modifyMemory.htm) is a nifty bard spell and there's the psionic variant

Programmed Amnesia is a L9 Wizard/Sorcerer spell From Spell Compendium

Psycic Chirurgy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psychicChirurgery.htm) is another

Volthawk
2011-06-15, 08:53 AM

Two I know of are Programmed Amnesia (SpC, IIRC) and Mindrape (BoVD)

Telonius
2011-06-15, 10:38 AM
Holy doublepost, batman!

Telonius
2011-06-15, 10:40 AM
Modify Memory works if you're only looking for a few recent memories to erase/alter. A wand of this would probably be analogous to the MiB's mind zappy thing.

For classes, Factotum or Rogue would do just fine. Artificer for the guy who builds their gear.

For Fluff, this sounds right up Vecna's alley. The God of Secrets would be very interested in keeping some things under wraps, so a few Clerics of Vecna might well be involved.

Redshirt Army
2011-06-15, 12:24 PM
If they all have to be the same class, Factotum all the way. If they can be different classes, there's a bit more wiggle room. Good classes are:

Rogue - Pretty obvious.
Ranger - Especially with some of the ACFs from Cityscape. (Would Sword of the Arcane Order be appropriate? :smallconfused:)
Bard - Modify Memory is on their list, and they get Glibness. :smalltongue:
Swordsage - Pretty good, although they're more for sneaky stabbing and recon than long term espionage.
Beguiler - Focused on illusions and enchantment, they make for great stealthy spellcasters/skillmonkeys. (Powerful, too, with Shadowcraft Mage).
Factotum - Jack-of-all-Trades that actually works (Combine with Chameleon for silly amounts of versatility).
Artificer - Someone to make all of the sweet gear.
Wizard/Unseen Seer - As always, wizard can do that too.

EDIT: The sneaky stabbing class, not makeup. :smalltongue:

Hirax
2011-06-15, 12:28 PM
It's worth pointing out that modify memory is on the assassin spell list too. For a totally left field suggestion, crack open the Dragonlance Campaign Setting and refluff the Knights of Solamnia, Knights of Neraka, or Legion of Steel.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-06-15, 12:34 PM
For Fluff, this sounds right up Vecna's alley. The God of Secrets would be very interested in keeping some things under wraps, so a few Clerics of Vecna might well be involved.

Ah, Vecna, hmm, the One and the Five, is anyone aware of a prestige class relatedt to Vecna that I can't remember? (Basically any) I remember the affiliation in PHB2, but I'm not sure if there's a class.

Knights of Solamnia, Knights of Neraka, or Legion of Steel.

What are those?

Telonius
2011-06-15, 12:51 PM
Ah, Vecna, hmm, the One and the Five, is anyone aware of a prestige class relatedt to Vecna that I can't remember? (Basically any) I remember the affiliation in PHB2, but I'm not sure if there's a class.

Nightcloak is a PrC for Evil characters in Complete Divine's web enhancement. It's not specific to Vecna, but does call out Clerics of Vecna as particularly well-suited to it. Full casting, and one of the class abilities gives Modify Memory 1/day.

LansXero
2011-06-15, 01:17 PM
There is an investigator PRC in Eberron Campaign Setting iirc.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-06-15, 02:08 PM
Yeah, I remember that guy. Umm, Master Inquisitive if I remember correctly but, I dunno.

Telonius
2011-06-15, 02:30 PM
Yeah, I remember that guy. Umm, Master Inquisitive if I remember correctly but, I dunno.

That's the one. The PrC isn't that great, though. IMO, its class features consist of: "You get something the DM ought to give you for roleplaying anyway, plus a couple of 1/day spells."