PDA

View Full Version : Summoner Wars - Anyone played it?

Freylorn
2011-06-15, 08:45 AM
I just discovered a game called Summoner Wars yesterday. And I've fallen in love with it pretty quickly, as has everyone I've shown it to.

It's a collectible faction-based card game that plays out more like a grid-based wargame than a card game. It's actually sort of hard to describe! Each faction has a pre-built deck, which can then be expanded using "boosters" called Reinforcement Packs. The cool thing about these compared to, say, MtG is that they only really offer alternate options - not inherently better ones. They're also not blind purchase, which is fantastic.

Gameplay revolves around trying to keep your Summoner alive while trying to kill your opponent's Summoner. I really can't describe the play all that well, but there are a few good YouTube videos on it if people are curious. The starter sets (Phoenix Elves vs. Tundra Orcs and Cave Goblins vs. Guild Dwarves) can be sort of tough to find right now, but there's a nice big Master Set coming out next month with six new factions in it.

The nice thing about it is, since each faction is self-contained, it's not a game that every player has to own their own deck for. They can just come over, choose a faction, grab the deck, sit, and play. And the rules are pretty easy to grasp.

This is turning into a bit of an insane, unstructured ramble - for that, I apologize. Has anyone else here played it? For what it's worth, it's definitely got my recommendation.

PePe QuiCoSE
2011-06-15, 09:40 AM
yep, own most factions. Master Set soon to be released.
Btw it's not collectible, it's expandable. The difference is that there are no boosters, no blind purchase, but extra decks with new factions or new units (Reinforcement) to customize a faction.

You can play it online on Vassal, the is a Summoner Wars forum (http://www.plaidhatgames.com/sum_forums/) where you can find out more.

Btw, Phoenix Eves stink, Cloaks rocks.

Freylorn
2011-06-15, 09:43 AM
Bleh - messed up my phrasing there! Thank you for the correction - I was thinking "collectable" as opposed to "trading" which is the realm of things like Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic. One "collects" the different faction decks. You're correct, though - the term should be expandable.

I'm just missing 3 factions so far - I couldn't find a copy of Orcs vs. Elves, unfortunately, and the store my wife and I went to was out of Cloaks. Cloaks should be purchased within the next few days though! :smallbiggrin: