PDA

View Full Version : Could this work?

Lord Loss
2011-06-15, 02:46 PM
I'm running a Call of Cthulhu/Trail of Cthulhu -esque game using the Crimes People Play system. I want to integrate some new players into the campaign and we're in the middle of a scenario with two characters unconcious (one going to confront a ghost on his own turf, the other having fallen from a lighthouse into the water). The last player is a wake and is keeping a group of cultists (not necessarily murderous ones, mind you) away from the character fighting off the ghost.

I'm considering having the characters wake up in a hospital with no memory of how they got there and slowly have them have "flashbacks" in which it is determined how they wound up in the hospital. Also, the hospital harbors an evil creature that is related to the ghost in the current scenario. This would allow me to let the new players play as patients at the hospital.

Is this a good idea, or would it be better to play through this scenario completely and then the hospital scenario, without memory loss and whatnot?

Yora
2011-06-15, 02:48 PM
You could have the other players continue and find the unconscious new characters at the place they are currently at.

DabblerWizard
2011-06-16, 10:10 AM
Either of your suggestions make sense to me Lord Loss.

I'd say, pick the one that you like best. Maybe, figure out which has the most options for you, the best features, the fewest loop holes... etc.

Morghen
2011-06-16, 11:05 AM
I'm considering having the characters wake up in a hospital with no memory of how they got there and slowly have them have "flashbacks" in which it is determined how they wound up in the hospital.I don't know your skill at GMing. BUT. If you can pull that off, it would be extremely badass.

Jude_H
2011-06-16, 02:16 PM
Sounds like it could be good. Amnesia is annoyingly common in rpgs, but if it ties in to the ghosts/hospital craziness, it would probably be fine.

How are you making the flashbacks work? Are they infodumps or RPed out retrospectively? If they're infodumps, are they going to be delivered by the narrator or players?

Delivering them all as the narrator would be kind of boring, IMO. I think the most interesting approach would be to seed some clues of the backstories, then having the flashbacks RPed out retrospectively, incorporating those clues where possible.

Anyway, good luck!