PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Exotic Weapons

Elric VIII
2011-06-15, 03:19 PM
In a campaign I plan to run I want the army of the major enemy to be known for wielding an exotic weapon. I'm looking for weapons that either do something interesting (beyond simply reach or double weapon) or have a decent base damage output or crit range/multiplier. I would perfer two-handed, but anything is fine.

What I've got so far, from A&EG:

Duom: Reach weapon that can also attack an adjacent foe when used to attack a foe at reach.

Gyrespike: Double weapon that can be used to disarm, gets a bonus.

Manti: Shortspear that grants 1 extra AoO.

I would like to hear some suggestions of weapons that do unique things from other books (please include source).

One additional question about the weapon:
If I am reading the Doum description correctly, it essentially gives you a second attack for each iterative when your BAB becomes high enough. It does not mention that it takes a standard action, or even an attack action, just "when you make an attack." It also seems that the penalty only applies on the second attack, is this correct?

Person_Man
2011-06-15, 03:28 PM
Taken from the Haberdash (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88633) thread:

Annulat: Planar Handbook pg 68. Thrown weapon that imposes a -2 penalty to AC against it's target. If you're going to throw something, why not make it easier to hit? It's also noteworthy that neraphim treat it as a martial weapon, making a neraphim Master Thrower/Bloodstorm Blade a tempting option.

Boomerang: Eberron Campaign Setting pg 119: This weapon actually sucks. It deals less damage then most other thrown weapons. When it misses, you can make an attack roll to catch it. However, proficiency with this weapon qualifies you for the uber Boomerang Daze feat (Races of Eberron pg 108) forces anyone who takes damage from your boomerang to Save or be Dazed (one of the most powerful effects in the game) for 1 round, and Boomerang Ricochet (also RoE pg 108) which lets you hit a second adjacent target with your boomerang (potentially Dazing both) after you hit the first.

Braid Blade: Dungeon 120: 1d3, 18-20, x2. On a full attack, allows you to make an extra attack at -5, or -2 if you have 5 ranks of Tumble.

Collapsing Crescent Fan: Sandstorm, p. 96: +4 to attack any flat-footed foe. Great when combined with Iaijutsu Focus.

Composite Greatbow: Complete Warrior: Does 1d10 damage and has a 130 ft range increment. So this a good long ranged weapon for pure damage dealing.

Drow Scorpion Chain: Secrets of Xen'drik pg 137: Exactly the same as a normal Spiked Chain, except that if you happen to be a drow, you can take the Drow Skirmisher feat (which grants several proficiencies and minor bonuses) instead of Exotic Weapon Proficiency to get proficiency with it. Not useful for Haberdash, but worth including on this list for the sake of completeness.

Elven Courtblade: Races of the Wild: 1d10, 18-20 *2. Slightly less damage then the Jovar. But this two handed weapon can be used for both Power Attack and Weapon Finesse.

Flindbar: Monster Manual III: +2 to Disarm, and when you threaten a crit (19-20 or 17-20 with any Keen effect) you get a free Disarm attempt before you roll to confirm the crit.

Foot Spike: Races of the Wild: Yet another place to hide a weapon, just in case your DM decides to have your party taken prisoner.

Glot: Frostburn: Can be used to make ranged trip attacks, and deals better damage then bolas or barbed bolas.

Goad: Frostburn: Reach weapon that deals non-lethal damage, in case you ever want to capture someone without killing them. Also gives you +2 to Handle Animal checks against Huge or bigger animals.

Greathammer: Monster Manual 4 or Races of Stone: 1d12, 19-20/x4 or just 20/x4, depending on which version you use. Also gives you +2 to Sunder a weapon or shield, but sundering your future treasure is generally a bad idea.

Harpoon: Frostburn: A harpooned creature moves at half speed, cannot charge or run, and if you attach a rope to it you can limit their movement away from you. It can be removed with a full round action, which deals damage again. Occasionally helpful for battlefield control. Or you can enchant it with Returning, and have a double damage ranged attack.

Heavy weapons: Basically a special way of constructing a metal weapon. Increases the damage die of the weapon based on a set chart. Requires Exotic Weapon Proficiency to wield correctly. But this is no problem for Haberdash. So unless your DM is crazy enough to let you use Kaorti, then most of your weapons should be Heavy. Magic of Faerun, pg. 179.

Ice Axe: Frostburn: +4 to Climb checks.

Jovar: Planar Handbook: 2d6, 18-20, *2. With high damage and a high threat range, this is your is a respectable pure damage dealing weapon. Buy a Scabbard of Keen Edges.

Kaorti weapons: Fiend Folio web enhancement: *ANY* weapon can be made out of kaorti, which gives it a crit multiplier of x4. You need an EWP for a kaorti version of a weapon (even if it is already exotic), but... hey, no problem for Haberdash! Combine with a Keen Elven Courtblade or something similar for a ridiculous crit. Of course, this is a ridiculously exotic weapon, as you need to convince an Evil Outsider to make it for you (or accept the +4 LA to be a Kaorti yourself). My suggestion is that you invest in Knowledge (Planes), and ask your DM for a side quest to get one.

Kusari-Gama: A one handed reach weapon, which is useful for certain builds. The Spinning Sword (see below) is superior, but comes from a more obscure source. DMG.

Lance: Not exotic, but everyone who is proficient should keep one on their mount. You never know when double damage from a charge might come in handy. And like the Kusari-Gama, it's a one handed reach weapon (when you're mounted and use a shield). PHB.

Lasso: Book of Exalted Deeds, p. 34: Using a lasso is a ranged touch attack that imposes a -2 to attack rolls and -4 on Dex (no Save).

Longstaff: Complete Adventurer: If you fight defensively or use Combat Expertise while using this weapon, you can’t be flanked. Screw you Rogues!

Mancatcher: Complete Warrior: Gives you a free Grapple attempt when you hit your enemy. Also, as long as your enemy can’t reach you, they can’t attack you or do anything other then attempt to move or escape from the grapple.

Net (PHB): Using a net is a ranged touch attack (maximum range of 10 feet) that imposes a -2 to attack rolls and -4 to Dex, 1/2 movement, and you can’t charge or run (no Save).

Orc Shotput: Sword & Fist, p. 71: One of the best thrown weapons in the game: 2d6 damage, 19-20 crit, x3 multiplier. Add some Master Thrower for extra fun.

Pincer Staff: Underdark: Basically a mancatcher that deals more damage.

Razor Net: Dragon Compendium, p. 115: All the hassle of a regular net, and it does 1d6 damage.

Ritiik: Frostburn: If you successfully hit an enemy, the enemy must make a Reflex Save. If it fails, you get a free Trip Attempt. Basically a weaker version of Knock-Down for free.

Scorpion Claws: +4 to Grapple checks. The bonus is unnamed, so it stacks with Improved Grapple. They're also light weapons, so no Power Attack, but yes for TWF. Sandstorm.

Sharktooth Staff: Savage Species: Gives you a free Grapple attempt when you hit your enemy. Unlike the mancatcher or pincer staff, it has no reach. But it deals the best damage. It’s also worth mentioning that they each have size restrictions.

Spiked Chain: PHB: Useful if you have a ton of reach and a potent magic weapon with an AoO build. But most of the time you can just use a glaive and a 5 ft step. If you're really in a pinch, use armor spikes.

Spinning Sword: Secrets of Sarlona, pg 136. Basically a Spiked Chain that you can only use with one hand. Useful if you want to be a sword and board build, or a TWF build.

Sugliin: Frostburn: Does 2d8 damage, but it’s a full round action to make 1 attack. But hey, until you get to +6 BAB, this is your weapon of choice for pure damage dealing when you’re already standing next to your enemy.

Whip Dagger: Drow of the Underdark: 15 feet of reach, which might be helpful on occasion. You can also use it with the Whip Climber Skill Trick to do Indiana Jones-ish swinging.

Yuan-Ti Serpent Bow: Secrets of Xen'drik pg 137: A bow with curved blades at the edges. You can use it as a ranged weapon or as a melee weapon interchangeably, and it is a treated as a double weapon for magical enhancements (you enchant the bow part and the blade part separately). Not that useful for Haberdash specifically, but a nifty choice for bow builds that fight in dungeons and other closed in spaces a lot.

Andmcmuffin2
2011-06-15, 03:35 PM
Gnomish Quickrazor (from Races of Stone) is interesting as an offhand weapon, and in flavor is kind of a jerk move. As the book points out though, it's only really effective for people that need the hand for something that isn't carrying a weapon. Even without Quick Draw, you draw it as a free action, and then sheathe it as a free action in the same round.

I'm also running Ramhammer(Planar Handbook) on a Warforged Dungeoncrasher Fighter/Juggernaut. If you want someone to slam something into walls, this gets rather fun.

Elric VIII
2011-06-15, 03:38 PM
Wow, that's a pretty nice list. Thank you.

Greenish
2011-06-15, 03:54 PM
Awl Pike from Dragon Compendium grants 15' reach (as medium).

Dragonsplit (MMV) is a one-handed weapon that can be TWF'ed and finessed as if it was a light weapon. (It's the only one-handed finessable weapon you could use two handed that I can think of, incidentally).

Valenar Double Scimitar (ECS) is, well, scimitar version of double sword. The related PrC, Revenant Blade (PGtE), makes it worth using, though.

[Edit]: Duom appears in Dragon Compendium as a martial weapon.

Zaq
2011-06-15, 06:48 PM
Whip Dagger: Drow of the Underdark: 15 feet of reach, which might be helpful on occasion. You can also use it with the Whip Climber Skill Trick to do Indiana Jones-ish swinging.

Can I get a page number on that one? I just flipped through my copy of DotU and didn't see anything. The only whip-dagger I'm familiar with is in the AEG, and it's got some weird 3.0/3.5 interactions.

Amphetryon
2011-06-15, 07:30 PM
Masters of the Wild has the Caber. Talk with the DM about whether its damage changes when the size of the log does.

Elric VIII
2011-06-15, 07:58 PM
Masters of the Wild has the Caber. Talk with the DM about whether its damage changes when the size of the log does.

This is amazing.

I should look into Revenant Blade, a few levels of a PrC for the specialized weapon couldn't hurt.

Fouredged Sword
2011-06-15, 08:26 PM
Can one make a heavy Katori Jovar, what feat would it take to wield it and what stats would it have.

Greenish
2011-06-15, 08:30 PM
I should look into Revenant Blade, a few levels of a PrC for the specialized weapon couldn't hurt.Revenant Blade is usually 5 or nothing. The other levels aren't bad, really, but the capstone is great.

Can one make a heavy Katori Jovar, what feat would it take to wield it and what stats would it have.No, Exotic Weapon Proficiency, 3d6 18-20/x4 slashing.

Person_Man
2011-06-15, 08:57 PM
Can I get a page number on that one? I just flipped through my copy of DotU and didn't see anything. The only whip-dagger I'm familiar with is in the AEG, and it's got some weird 3.0/3.5 interactions.

I think that might be a misprint which I never corrected because the thread is locked. I'm pretty sure that it's also in Sword and Fist. I can't find an official 3.5 update, but there's got to be 3.5 rules for a whip-dagger or barbed-whip or razor-whip somewhere. A reasonable DM could easily house rule one for you. But even if he doesn't, you could always dip one level into Pyrokineticist to get a Fire Lash.

Thurbane
2011-06-15, 09:15 PM
There are two ways (at least) to get proficiency with all exotic weapons - a dip in the Master of Masks PrC (CS) to get the Gladiator Mask; also, one of the online vestiges (can't recall which one off the top of my head - I know it's one of the psionic ones), gives full martial and exotic weapon proficiencies.

Combine this with a Morphing Sizing weapon, and you can change your exotic weapon to suit the situation. This may or may not fit with the OP, however.

Elric VIII
2011-06-15, 09:30 PM
There are two ways (at least) to get proficiency with all exotic weapons - a dip in the Master of Masks PrC (CS) to get the Gladiator Mask; also, one of the online vestiges (can't recall which one off the top of my head - I know it's one of the psionic ones), gives full martial and exotic weapon proficiencies.

Combine this with a Morphing Sizing weapon, and you can change your exotic weapon to suit the situation. This may or may not fit with the OP, however.

It is pretty interesting, however. Something I may explore, since I'm not really wasting one of my character's feats toying with exotic weapons. Just a perk of DMing, I guess.

gorfnab
2011-06-15, 11:50 PM

One more option is take one level of Warblade and the feat Exotic Weapon Proficiency. This allows you change out your EWP every day if you want to.

TroubleBrewing
2011-06-16, 01:54 AM

Bloodstorm Blade Caber shenanigans?

This is almost as good an idea as that thread with the Drunken Master/Bloostorm Blade/Master Thrower/Hulking Hurler build.

Hit people with people, then throw those people at other people, and have the first people come back into your hand after you throw them so you can hit more people with those people.

Darrin
2011-06-16, 06:19 AM
Composite Greatbow: Complete Warrior: Does 1d10 damage and has a 130 ft range increment. So this a good long ranged weapon for pure damage dealing.

Bone Bow (Frostburn) is my new BFF (BWF?) for archer builds. 120' range, same damage, but auto-adjusts to your Str modifier, so you don't have to buy a new frickin' bow every time someone casts Bull's Strength on you. Elvencraft bow (+300 GP, Races of the Wild) and a 1-level dip into Exotic Weapon Master (no AoOs on ranged attacks), and you've got a permanent non-magical arrow mind thing going on.

I think that might be a misprint which I never corrected because the thread is locked. I'm pretty sure that it's also in Sword and Fist. I can't find an official 3.5 update, but there's got to be 3.5 rules for a whip-dagger or barbed-whip or razor-whip somewhere.

Never got updated to 3.5, although converting it isn't particularly difficult. There's also the nagaika in Masters of the Wild, but the "mighty" version (add Str bonus to damage) becomes redundant if you convert it into a melee weapon.

Hit people with people, then throw those people at other people, and have the first people come back into your hand after you throw them so you can hit more people with those people.

King of Pong. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5897646)

Psyren
2011-06-16, 09:06 AM

That would be The Triad (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070119a)

And I concur, very nice list

subject42
2011-06-16, 09:09 AM
If I remember correctly, on of the Dragon books has a "Razor Net", which is a net that deals damage. It might even deal damage every round.

Amphetryon
2011-06-16, 09:17 AM
If I remember correctly, on of the Dragon books has a "Razor Net", which is a net that deals damage. It might even deal damage every round.

Person_Man has it on his list in post #2.

Elric VIII
2011-06-16, 09:37 AM
Are there any double weapons that count as 2 one-handed weapons or light weapons that can be used to TWF and still benefit from PA/Shock Trooper?

So, I think what I'm going to do for the exotic weapon is:

Fighter and Ardent for EWP +Weapon Focus with the Pincer Staff and a dip into Exotic Weapon Master for the intimidate weapon trick. Thank you for the help.

Person_Man
2011-06-16, 09:49 AM
Are there any double weapons that count as 2 one-handed weapons or light weapons that can be used to TWF and still benefit from PA/Shock Trooper?

Unarmed strikes can be used with Power Attack, count a light weapons for TWF, and can be used with Weapon Finesse. Natural weapons can be added on top of any attack routine without effecting your primary attack routine's To-Hit, and also count for Power Attack and Weapon Finesse.

subject42
2011-06-16, 10:15 AM
Person_Man has it on his list in post #2.

You know, you're right. Somehow I completely missed that as I was ctrl+Fing my way through the page to make sure nobody mentioned it.

Darrin
2011-06-16, 11:24 AM

I think nearly *all* double weapons have at least one end that counts as "off-hand" or "light" for the purposes of TWF. You can also attack with a double weapon as a two-handed weapon without changing your grip (although in that case you lose the "off-hand" part of the weapon) if you want to do the PA/Shock Trooper thing.

Could you be more specific about what you're trying to do?

There are several ways to TWF with one-handed weapons that treats one of them as "light": Oversize TWF feat, Dragonsplits (MMIV p. 151), Dervish dip (scimitars), or lesser sunsword shenanigans. One-handed weapons can be used with PA (as can unarmed strikes or natural weapons, as Person_Man points out), but to get any decent PA damage multipliers going, you'll probably need to add another pair of arms... which can be a bit kooky, but it can be done (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10699987&postcount=10).

So, I think what I'm going to do for the exotic weapon is:

Fighter and Ardent for EWP +Weapon Focus with the Pincer Staff and a dip into Exotic Weapon Master for the intimidate weapon trick. Thank you for the help.

Intimidate weapon trick... huh? What for? Unless you're doing some kind of Zhentarim/Imperious Command build, or Shneekey's Takahashi no Onisan (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=153726), why would you waste your standard action on that? Except for those two builds, anything you could possibly accomplish via intimidate is much more easily done by using your standard action or a full attack to just split your target's skull in half.

mootoall
2011-06-16, 02:23 PM
The only thing that grants you full PA damage with a double weapon that I know of is the Revenant Blade's capstone, as Greenish said earlier.

Keld Denar
2011-06-16, 03:23 PM
Dragonsplit (MMV) is a one-handed weapon that can be TWF'ed and finessed as if it was a light weapon. (It's the only one-handed finessable weapon you could use two handed that I can think of, incidentally).

There are 3 Elven XBlades. Courtblade is the Greatsword parallel, but I always mix up the Thinblade and the Lightblade. I think its the Thinblade which is the Longsword parallel while the Lightblade is the Shortsword parallel. Regardless, whichever one is the Longsword equivalent, it is a finessable 1hander that can be used 2-handed, unlike the Rapier which explicitly can not.

Also, almost any Feycraft 1-hander would work, like a Feycraft Longsword or Feycraft Scimitar.

Elric VIII
2011-06-16, 03:52 PM
I think nearly *all* double weapons have at least one end that counts as "off-hand" or "light" for the purposes of TWF. You can also attack with a double weapon as a two-handed weapon without changing your grip (although in that case you lose the "off-hand" part of the weapon) if you want to do the PA/Shock Trooper thing.

Could you be more specific about what you're trying to do?

There are several ways to TWF with one-handed weapons that treats one of them as "light": Oversize TWF feat, Dragonsplits (MMIV p. 151), Dervish dip (scimitars), or lesser sunsword shenanigans. One-handed weapons can be used with PA (as can unarmed strikes or natural weapons, as Person_Man points out), but to get any decent PA damage multipliers going, you'll probably need to add another pair of arms... which can be a bit kooky, but it can be done (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10699987&postcount=10).

I keep forgetting unarmed strikes can be PA'd and TWF with a two-hand weapon. Can you Multiweapon Fight with a double weapon and unarmed strike?

Intimidate weapon trick... huh? What for? Unless you're doing some kind of Zhentarim/Imperious Command build, or Shneekey's Takahashi no Onisan (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=153726), why would you waste your standard action on that? Except for those two builds, anything you could possibly accomplish via intimidate is much more easily done by using your standard action or a full attack to just split your target's skull in half.

As a player, I wouldn't. but since I'm going to have high-op PCs I figure I can set them against larger numbers of low-op enemies with similar class levels. It's mostly to avoid monotony when faced with a campaign that features an enemy army with copy-and-paste troops of varying levels.

Amphetryon
2011-06-16, 06:03 PM
I keep forgetting unarmed strikes can be PA'd and TWF with a two-hand weapon. Can you Multiweapon Fight with a double weapon and unarmed strike?

Not by RAW, unless you have additional appendages for Multiattack.

Greenish
2011-06-16, 07:16 PM
Are there any double weapons that count as 2 one-handed weapons or light weapons that can be used to TWF and still benefit from PA/Shock Trooper?Dragonsplits. Not a double weapon, but one-handed that only has -2/-2 TWF penalties (with the feat). Though if you're burning a feat, Oversized TWF achieves the same, but that won't get you to EWM.

Revenant Blade's capstone makes both ends of your double scimitar count as two-handers.

There are 3 Elven XBlades. Courtblade is the Greatsword parallel, but I always mix up the Thinblade and the Lightblade. I think its the Thinblade which is the Longsword parallel while the Lightblade is the Shortsword parallel. Regardless, whichever one is the Longsword equivalent, it is a finessable 1hander that can be used 2-handed, unlike the Rapier which explicitly can not.

Also, almost any Feycraft 1-hander would work, like a Feycraft Longsword or Feycraft Scimitar.Right, Thinblade and feycraft stuff. I suspected I was forgetting something.

Also, there are four Elven Fooblades: Courtblade, Thinblade, Lightblade and Longblade (from Dragon #351). :smalltongue: