PDA

View Full Version : Thorkir; Dwarven Badass (3.5, PrC, non-serious)

Zaydos
2011-06-15, 03:36 PM
Balance Point: Balance? I've got balance. My beard gives me an excellent center of gravity, you see, makes me very hard to push over. Oh you meant game balance.

I reject your reality and replace it with my own.

Intent: It's a joke class for dwarven badasses. A melee character with abilities drawn from the spiritual power of sheer dwarven awesome (I can't stomach giving people Ex dimensional anchor and heal spells; at that point you aren't a badass normal even if you define the things as Ex, so just admit they're Su). Mostly just to have fun.

Fluff: The ultimate elite of the dwarven warriors. Thorkirs, or loosely translated badasses, are the paragons of the dwarven military. They channel and harness an ability the dwarves call thorki, the spiritual energy of dwarves, dwarvendom, and the earth found in dwarves, metal, stone, and alcohol, for the purposes of combat. They store this great energy in their beards and use their beards as well as weapons in combat.

Prerequisites:
BAB: +7.
Fort: +5.
Feats: Dwarven Armor Proficiency, Improved Weapon Familiarity, Weapon Focus (Warhammer or a dwarven weapon), Weapon Specialization (Warhammer or a dwarven weapon).
Skills: Craft (Weaponsmithing) or Craft (Armorsmithing) 10+ ranks.
Race: Dwarf.
Deity: Must worship a dwarven god.
Alignment: Must be Lawful or Good.
Special: Must have been born a dwarf, none of these pathetic little stonebrothers, or humans who permanently changed themselves into dwarves with magic.
Special: Must be male, unless in a setting where female dwarves typically have beards.
Special: Must have a beard. If you ever do not have a beard you lose all Su abilities of this class until you once again have a beard, and have an Atonement spell cast on you by a dwarven cleric of a dwarven god. If you willingly removed your own beard you must also go on a special quest to further the cause of dwarvendom.

Thorkir
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|Dwarven Toughness, Smite Foes, Beard Shield, Second Skin, Dwarven Skill Mastery
2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|Mettle, Beard Fighting (disarm, trip)
3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|Dwarven Earth Mastery, Beard Fighting (bull rush, sunder)
4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|+2 Con, Beard Weapon Fighting
5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4|Shake it Off, Dwarven Boast
6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+5|Double Step, Beard of Warding
7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+5|Flaming Ale Spit, Dwarven Weapon Mastery
8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+6|Immunity to Poison and Death effects, +2 Con
9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+6|Battle Glory of the Dwarven Thanes, Beard Grappling
10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+7|Beard of Suppression, Stunning Blows[/table]

Hit Die Type: 1d12

Skill points per Level: 4 + Int.

Class Skills: Appraise (Int), Autohypnosis (Wis), Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Disable Device (Int), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering) (Int), Knowledge (Dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (History) (Int), Knowledge (Local) (Int), Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) (Int), Knowledge (Religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Open Lock (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Tumble (Dex).

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies:
Put that down, you don't know how to wield that.

Thorkel; a thorkir taking a dragon's skull from someone.

A thorkir gains proficiency in all weapons, armor, and shields; including all exotic weapons, armor, and shields, and improvised weapons. In addition if they wield a bottle intended for holding alcohol it deals damage as if one size category larger.

Dwarven Toughness (Ex): A thorkel gains bonus hp equal to their Constitution modifier per class level. In addition they add their Constitution modifier twice to Con checks and Con based skill checks. If something would cause them to become fatigued they are unaffected; if it would cause them to become exhausted they become fatigued instead. If they are already fatigued they ignore effects that would fatigue them further. A thorkir is also effectively immune to the effects of alcohol, theoretically they could get drunk but that would require a mass of ethanol equal to roughly the moon.

Beard Shield (Ex):
Shield? I don't need a shield, shield's are for sissies, I've got me beard!

Thorkel, when offered a +5 deathward shield.

A thorkir's beard acts as a shield granting them a +3 shield bonus to AC. In addition their beard can be enchanted as if it were a shield, although it cannot be given the Animate enhancement or shield spikes. In addition when using your beard shield you are considered to have the Shield Ward feat (PHBII page 82).

Second Skin (Ex): A thorkir is excessively trained in heavy armor. They gain an untyped bonus to AC equal to one-half their class level when wearing heavy armor and increase its max dex bonus by the same, while reducing any armor check penalty by one-half their class level. This can render their armor check penalty a positive number, at which point they gain a bonus to checks when wearing armor.

Note that mithril armor is no longer considered heavy.

Smite Foes (Su): A thorkir can call upon their thorki to smite the traditional foes of dwarven kind. Once per class level per day they can gain a bonus to attack equal to their Constitution modifier and a bonus to damage equal to 8 times their class level when making an attack against a creature with the giant type, the orc subtype, or the goblinoid subtype. Should they mistakenly use this ability on a creature which is none of the above, they take 10 damage as their dwarvishness is insulted by their inability to tell what is and is not a goblinoid but the daily use is not wasted.

Dwarven Skill Mastery (Ex): A thorkir gains an untyped bonus to Craft and Profession skills dealing with stone and metal equal to their class level. In addition they gain a bonus to Search checks dealing with stonework (or things disguised as stonework) equal to their class level.

Mettle (Ex): A thorkir gains the mettle ability. When they are totally drunk this would increase to Improved Mettle, but there's not enough alcohol in the multiverse to get a thorkir that drunk.

Beard Fighting (Su): A thorkir's beard is so infused with thorki that it takes on a life of its own. Starting at 2nd level a thorkir's beard may make either a Trip or Disarm attempt once per round as a free action. It uses the thorkir's modifiers for this attempt and counts as a two-handed weapon with an additional +4 to the attempt. A thorkir cannot be disarmed of his beard, but is vulnerable to retributive trips. This does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

At 3rd level it may also attempt to sunder (treat it as an adamantine weapon of the thorkir's choice wielded in two hands for sunder attempts) or bull rush opponents. It is considered one size category larger than you for the purposes of bull rushing and you do not have to move into their square, nor do you provoke attacks of opportunity. It may still only do one of the four each round.

Dwarven Earth Mastery (Ex and Su): At 3rd level a thorkir's mastery of footing and thorki based connection with the earth improves his combat ability. While touching the ground he gains a +1 bonus to attack rolls and adds his class level to damage. In addition if he uses Power Attack whatever penalty he takes is doubled for the purposes of determining bonus damage; he may still take a penalty equal to his BAB, in which case for damage determination it is as if he took a penalty equal to twice his BAB. As he must be in contact with the ground to use this it does not function in conjuction with Leap Attack, or when mounted.

In addition he gains Tremorsense out to 180-ft, and Blindsight out to 60-ft but it only functions with things touching the ground, or connected to the ground via solid or liquid objects which are touching the ground or touching other solid or liquid objects which are touching the ground. This portion is a Supernatural ability.

+2 Con: At 4th and 8th level a thorkir gains a permanent +2 bonus to their Constitution score similar to the bonus to ability scores from leveling up.

Beard Weapon Fighting (Su): At 4th level a thorkir's beard can do the fighting for him. It may wield a weapon as if it were two hands and make a single attack each round as a free action at his highest attack bonus. In any round it does so it may not also use any of the Beard Fighting abilities the thorkir has already gained.

Shake it Off (Ex): At 5th level a thorkir gains the ability to shrug off blows. Once per round as an immediate action he may negate all damage from one attack. Effects that only trigger if they deal damage still trigger, but the thorkir does not actually take any damage from the attack.

Dwarven Boast (Su): At 5th level a thorkir can focus his thorki through a boastful gesture or comment. As a standard action he may make a boast, requiring an Intimidate check, and force all enemies which can hear and/or see him to make an opposed Will save or be forced to attack him for 1 round/class level. Each round they must, if possible, directly attack him in some way, and if that is impossible they must use whatever means necessary to get into a position to do so. If no other options are available they will run up and attempt to smack him. While under this effect they may not attempt to flee through any means (unless they are undead which have been turned or affected by a fear effect), and may not attack any other creatures unless the attack also hits the thorkir. In addition they are shaken for the duration. This is a mind-affecting fear effect.

Double Step (Ex): A thorkir can make 2 5-ft steps per round, and can still make 1 5-ft step in a round in which he moves normally.

Beard of Warding (Su): The thorki in the beard of a thorkir of 6th level or higher has accumulated so much that he gains SR equal to 15 + his class level.

Flaming Ale Spit (Su): A level 7 or higher thorkir can store alcohol in his stomach and spit it back out igniting it as he does so. This functions as a 30-ft cone of fire dealing 2d10 fire damage per class level and is a standard action to use. A thorkir can hold enough 100+ proof alcohol in his stomach to use this ability 6 times.

Dwarven Weapon Mastery (Ex): When wielding a warhammer, or a weapon with Dwarven in its name a thorkir adds twice his strength modifier (three times if it is two-handed) to his damage, and can make a full attack as a standard action. In addition if he gains a bonus to damage with power attack at a 3 to 1 ratio (note that Dwarven Earth Mastery modifiers the effective penalty effectively increasing this to a 6 to 1 ratio). If he wields two dwarven weapons the penalty for wielding 2 weapons is reduced by 2 (to 0 when wielding two waraxes if he has Two-Weapon Fighting and Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting).

Immunity to Poison, Disease, and Death Effects (Ex): A thorkir of 8th level or higher is immune to poison, disease, and death effects.

Battle Glory of the Dwarven Thanes (Ex): A 9th level or higher thorkir stands among the legendary dwarven thanes of old, a larger than life figure. Natural 1s are no longer considered automatic failures on attacks and saving throws for a thorkir of this stature, but instead are treated as automatic successed. In addition any weapon they wield deals damage as if one size category larger and they gain a +4 bonus on any check that grants special size modifiers for being larger than medium size (for example trip, bull rush, disarm, grapple, intimidate). They are also immune to fear, and all allies within 60-ft are as well.

Beard Grappling (Su): As a free action a thorkir's beard may attempt to grapple an opponent. It must be unarmed to do so, and if it does so it may not use Beard Fighting or Beard Weapon Fighting in the same round. It uses your bonus to make the melee touch attack to initiate the grapple and determine its grapple bonus but is considered one size category larger than you are for the purposes of the attack roll and grappling. On a successful grapple check it deals 2d6+ 3 x Strength modifier if you are medium sized, with the damage dice increasing or decreasing based on your current size. A thorkir's beard grappling does not provoke an attack of opportunity and he may take a -10 his grapple checks to not be considered grappled himself (as if he had Improved Grab and the Multisnatch feat).

Beard of Suppression (Su): A thorkir of the highest level can emit a 60-ft aura which suppresses magic from out of his beard. Any spell or spell-like ability cannot be activated within this area, and if there effect would extend into this area it is immediately suppressed (not dispelled). Any effect already on the thorkir when he activates this ability is not suppressed, although other standing effects are still suppressed. A thorkir can chance the area of effect, from anywhere from 5-ft radius to maximum area, as a free action 1/round and may turn the ability on or off 1/round as a move action.

Stunning Blows (Ex): Any creature vulnerable to critical hits struck by a 10th level thorkir must make a Fort save (DC 10 + class level + Con modifier) or be the thorkir's choice of dazed or stunned for 1 round. Regardless of how many times they are struck in a single round they need only make 1 save.

Garryl
2011-06-15, 03:43 PM
I wonder if Thorkel ever met Fistbeard Beardfist (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7814.0).

Zaydos
2011-06-15, 03:46 PM
I wonder if Thorkel ever met Fistbeard Beardfist (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7814.0).

To be honest I've never actually read over the build, but the stuff that gets said about it were the inspiration for the class.

NeoSeraphi
2011-06-15, 03:46 PM
Wait, wait, wait.

I'm confused. If a thorkir willingly removes his beard, he's allowed to live?

Sir, you must be drunk as a thorkir in a moon full of booze to insinuate that!

This class looks amazing, I wish WotC didn't print such crappy dwarven racial classes.

Cieyrin
2011-06-16, 01:22 PM
This class looks amazing, I wish WotC didn't print such crappy dwarven racial classes.

Races of Stone had many a fine Dorfy classes. Dorfen Defenders are the only faux pas when it came to dorfiness. Battlesmiths, Deepwardens, Runesmiths, the list goes on...

NeoSeraphi
2011-06-16, 01:31 PM
Races of Stone had many a fine Dorfy classes. Dorfen Defenders are the only faux pas when it came to dorfiness. Battlesmiths, Deepwardens, Runesmiths, the list goes on...

I really didn't like the dwarven racial prestige in Tome of Battle. It was so much worse than the Elder Blade or the Master of Nine.

Cieyrin
2011-06-16, 04:07 PM
I really didn't like the dwarven racial prestige in Tome of Battle. It was so much worse than the Elder Blade or the Master of Nine.

I think that has more to do with how underwhelming Stone Dragon is than anything else. It's also built on specific combos that you're expected to use, which isn't really a good idea. I think it could be put to decent use in confined areas or against more landbound enemies, though.

Ironsoul Forgemaster from Magic of Incarnum is pretty neat, as Dorfiness goes. Plus, how can you say no to having CL 30 when enchanting weapons and armor, right? :smallwink: