PDA

View Full Version : Challenge: Commoner build that can survive/succeed in a 3.5 campaign?

Pika...
2011-06-15, 03:52 PM
Yes, I know it sounds crazy, and it might be crazy, but imagine the fun. :smallbiggrin:

Preferably with all commoner levels, minus maybe a prestige class if it fits the character's theme.

And yes, I will try to get a DM to allow me to play this as my next character. :smallbiggrin:

Maho-Tsukai
2011-06-15, 03:55 PM
if you want to know how to be a good commoner, this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80968) seems like a good read. With chicken infested + handle animal a commoner can actually be somewhat playable. Do not underestimate the power of handle animal, it's a skill that allows for a lot of shenanigans when used right.

I may pop in with an actual build later if I can find a PrC that is both thematic and focuses on handle animal abuse(or aids in it.)

Elvencloud
2011-06-15, 03:57 PM
There's a flaw in dragon magazine that makes it so whenever you reach into your containers for an object, you have a 50 percent chance of pulling out a chicken instead. Chicken infested, I think.
Now, pulling out spell components is a free action... so since sand is a component (you don't actually need caster levels) and since every object has a 50 percent chance of being a chicken... You have Col. Sanders.

What's that? You need a wall to get a way? Wall of Chickens.
A large pit is blocking your way? Forget it. Fill it with Chickens.
Big bad evil guy is casting a spell? Try casting with hundred of live chickens on your face.
Edit: Requirement for the flaw is one level of commoner, so ha.

Lateral
2011-06-15, 04:06 PM
Handle Animal optimization works too; look up Bubs the Commoner (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7097263&postcount=38). Bubs has a Marshal level, though, but you don't strictly need it. Just makes it stronger, faster.

Avalon2099
2011-06-15, 04:58 PM
Handle Animal optimization works too; look up Bubs the Commoner (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7097263&postcount=38). Bubs has a Marshal level, though, but you don't strictly need it. Just makes it stronger, faster.

For that to work how does he get the Dinosaurs to breed by level 4? since he needs multiple different dinos to selectively breed the Battletitan, can you explain the process of how he gets the dinos?

Godskook
2011-06-15, 05:02 PM
For that to work how does he get the Dinosaurs to breed by level 4? since he needs multiple different dinos to selectively breed the Battletitan, can you explain the process of how he gets the dinos?

1.Just train the pre-requisite dinos first, and then breed the Battletitan

2.Simply buy battletitan eggs, or work for them by raising battletitans for your supplier.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-06-15, 05:04 PM
Wasn't the cube doable with a commoner? it is pure WBL-mancy so it might not count...

Avalon2099
2011-06-15, 05:14 PM
1.Just train the pre-requisite dinos first, and then breed the Battletitan

2.Simply buy battletitan eggs, or work for them by raising battletitans for your supplier.

Ah so it has to be an established Backstory thing, no commoner can just wake up and say I WANT TO RAISE GODZILLA today and walk over and grab dinos, there has to be a reason on how he got the dino's or dino eggs. I see.

Avalon2099
2011-06-15, 05:17 PM
Edit Double Post

Zale
2011-06-15, 05:23 PM
A herd of polar bears?

Lateral
2011-06-15, 05:44 PM
Plus, they don't have to be Battletitans. You can rear anything, and there are plenty of other choices; even just 3 T-Rexes is fairly awesome at 4th level.

Zale
2011-06-15, 05:48 PM
Armored polar bears? :smallbiggrin:

Urpriest
2011-06-15, 05:49 PM
Armored polar bears? :smallbiggrin:

Unfortunately those are Magical Beasts IIRC.

Lateral
2011-06-15, 05:50 PM

The build can rear Magical Beasts.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-06-15, 05:52 PM

Since when does slapping Barding on a polar bear makes them magical beast? And you can do it, the DC is just 30 + Magical Beast HD (epic usage though, not sure if it is permitted pre-epic threshold)

And you are probably thinking on the race from Frostburn.

Avalon2099
2011-06-15, 05:53 PM
Plus, they don't have to be Battletitans. You can rear anything, and there are plenty of other choices; even just 3 T-Rexes is fairly awesome at 4th level.

Sadly I dont see how a 4th level character without DM Fiat/Backstory approval gets access to T-rex's or T-rex eggs. I like the concept just trying to wrap my head around how to do it step by step.

Zale
2011-06-15, 05:55 PM
... I so want to abuse this now, somehow.

Godskook
Since when does slapping Barding on a polar bear makes them magical beast? And you can do it, the DC is just 30 + Magical Beast HD (epic usage though, not sure if it is permitted pre-epic threshold)

There's precedence in the fluff. How else are goblins going to rear worgs?

Lateral

Epic usages can be used pre-epic, they're just usages listed in the ELH that the designers figured PCs wouldn't be able to meet the checks for pre-epic.

Not that epic skill checks have anything on, say, 4th level spells at the most... :smallannoyed:

Dusk Eclipse
2011-06-15, 05:58 PM
Sadly I dont see how a 4th level character without DM Fiat/Backstory approval gets access to T-rex's or T-rex eggs. I like the concept just trying to wrap my head around how to do it step by step.

Depends on the setting, for example in Eberron the halflings from the Talenta plains use dinosaur as we use herd animals, as cattle, mounts, etc. So it isn't as difficult in that case.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/eb_gallery/82081.jpg

Besides since this is a venerable halfling, one could argue he is considered some sort of authority over the tribe and as such privy to special priviliedges such as T-Rex eggs.

Thurbane
2011-06-15, 05:58 PM

He might also be thinking of the Ironclad Mauler (MM3) which is essentially a brown bear with metal plates grafted to it, and is indeed a magical beast.

SuperFerret
2011-06-15, 06:02 PM
There's precedence in the fluff. How else are goblins going to rear worgs?

Aren't the worgs the ones in charge when it comes to the goblin-worg relationship? What's the DC of rearing a humanoid?

Also, we're assuming that the halfling is venerable during the rearing (to get the bonuses), and I doubt any sufficiently large dinosaur grows to maturity in less than five years, so the halfling would need to be on the lower end of venerable so he lives long enough to see his babies grow up.

Zale
2011-06-15, 06:04 PM
What about Armor For Unusual Creatures (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#armorForUnusualCreatures)?

What's stopping me from buying a bear-shaped full plate?

SuperFerret
2011-06-15, 06:05 PM
What about Armor For Unusual Creatures (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#armorForUnusualCreatures)?

What's stopping me from buying a bear-shaped full plate?

Skeptical blacksmiths.

Zale
2011-06-15, 06:11 PM
No one expects the wandering murderous hobos to be sane. Wealthy, but not sane.

Urpriest
2011-06-15, 06:16 PM
He might also be thinking of the Ironclad Mauler (MM3) which is essentially a brown bear with metal plates grafted to it, and is indeed a magical beast.

Nope, definitely the Urskan. Other monsters may be bears with armor. Only Urskan are Armored Bears.

THAT IS ALL!

Avalon2099
2011-06-15, 06:19 PM
Depends on the setting, for example in Eberron the halflings from the Talenta plains use dinosaur as we use herd animals, as cattle, mounts, etc. So it isn't as difficult in that case.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/eb_gallery/82081.jpg

Besides since this is a venerable halfling, one could argue he is considered some sort of authority over the tribe and as such privy to special priviliedges such as T-Rex eggs.

Awesome Dusk, Thanks for that. I had not considered the Eberron Halflings...

Morph Bark
2011-06-15, 06:30 PM

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/The-Golden-Compass-upcoming-movies-241693_1280_1024.jpg

Lateral
2011-06-15, 06:42 PM
Aren't the worgs the ones in charge when it comes to the goblin-worg relationship? What's the DC of rearing a humanoid?

Worgs have INT 6. D&D goblins don't even have an INT penalty; they're just as intelligent as your average person, just uglier and less lovable. And it's perfectly okay to slaughter them without bothering to check whether they're evil, just because they're orange and have fangs. [/rant] :smallannoyed:

gbprime
2011-06-16, 03:35 PM
What's the DC of rearing a humanoid?

I'll let you know after my kids grow up. :smalltongue:

Don't forget, you can always throw a few levels of Human Paragon in there for good measure. That's not a prestige class and not at odds with the concept of being a commoner, but it does open up weapons and skills...

JaronK
2011-06-16, 03:57 PM
Charging still works for a Commoner. Use a Skillful Valorous Lance (sets your BAB to 3/4 and doubles charge damage), play as a Dragonborn Water Orc and ride a big flying mount, take Shock Trooper + Spirited Charge + Headlong Rush, wear Riding Boots, and charge smash your enemies. Also: chickens.

JaronK

Marnath
2011-06-16, 04:29 PM
Second page, and not one mention of Joe Wood (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19558998/Commoner_Campaign)? That's terrible, guys. :smallwink::smallbiggrin:

dextercorvia
2011-06-17, 09:07 PM
Kobold commoners can still take advantage of the draconic rites, etc.

TrappedDoor
2011-06-17, 09:33 PM
Second page, and not one mention of Joe Wood (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19558998/Commoner_Campaign)? That's terrible, guys. :smallwink::smallbiggrin:

JOE WOOD! Still one of the best campaigns I have read. Ever.

The_Jester
2013-11-17, 03:07 PM

If Bubs is a halfling, why does he have a bonus feat for being Human?

JaronK
2013-11-17, 03:13 PM
He's a strongheart halfling. They get those.

But please don't bring back threads from years ago. This is thread necromancy.

JaronK