PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a Dry Erase mat

Beelzebub1111
2011-06-15, 04:27 PM
I accidentally left red dry erase ink on my mat and it stained. How do I clean that stuff off?

Tyndmyr
2011-06-15, 04:31 PM
Take a fresh erasable marker, marker over the dried stuff, then promptly clean it off with a wet paper towel.

ericgrau
2011-06-15, 04:56 PM
If that fails (try it first though as it'll probably work), any wide range of cleaners and solvents soaked in deep over a period of time so they can penetrate inside of the dried out crud could do it. Basically when you spray it and give it a quick wipe on something that's been there so long you're only getting the surface layer. One way or another you need to soften it up first. I'd try dish detergent and water left to sit for a while.

There was a semi-recent thread with all kinds of options, try googling with site:giantitp.com included in the search.

pffh
2011-06-15, 05:00 PM
If that doesn't work alcohol will. We use dry eraser to mark all sort of stuff at work that often gets left on for a couple of weeks and alcohol wipes that right off. Granted we use spiritus forte but I think any rubbing alcohol should work.

TroubleBrewing
2011-06-15, 09:25 PM
Magic erasers. Either the name-brand version or the generic.

Talakeal
2011-06-15, 09:32 PM
Do you mean a wet erase mat like chessex makes? I haven't seen a dry erase mat, only board.

As for wet erase mats, cleaning solvents will work, but in my experiance any that take off the ink will also take off the grid that is printed on it.

Katana_Geldar
2011-06-15, 10:29 PM
Acetone works. Buy some nail polish remover.

a_humble_lich
2011-06-15, 11:12 PM
Whatever you try, I would recommend first testing it on a corner to make sure it is safe. I had a friend who used some sort of solvent on his white board and after that was never able to erase anything from the board. We mocked him greatly.

Tanngrisnir
2011-06-16, 12:17 PM
Whatever you do, don't use a metal/wire scrubbing brush. Our DM's girlfriend was being 'helpful' one day and scrubbed our whole board clean, destroying the whole thing.

Sebastrd
2011-06-16, 12:27 PM
In the future, I recommend using Crayola washable markers. You'll never need more than a wet paper towel.

jsepeta
2014-10-30, 10:43 PM
Turns out Mineral Oil works on removing dry erase from Chessex game mats without taking off the squares or hexes. But it also requires "Elbow Grease" (TM).

infinitetech
2014-10-31, 04:52 AM
warning, be safe while doing this, use goggles, good ventilation, and gloves

step 1, boil 15 cup vinegar down to 3 cup
step 2, add 5 tbls honey, 5 tbls unprocessed sugar, 2 tbls ginger juice, 2 tbls garlic juice, 2tbls citrus oil
step 3, add 3 tbls dish soap/other soft emulsifier
step 4, add 2 teaspoons olive oil(unprocessed as with everything else)
step 5, add 1 cup oxyclean after removing from heat and from cookware
step 6, add 1 cup rubbing alcohol,
step 7, 1.5" cube worth melted beeswax, 1.5" cube melted butter, 1.5" cube salt dissolved in mix
step 8, stir vigorously

result, the golden residue, this stuff will remove/sanitize anything and yet is abnormally gentle on surfaces, use towel to apply to surface, wet cloth to wipe off

also works on crayon, blood, wine, berry juice, moss, lichen, oil, dust, burnt cheese, burnt beans, hard minerals, soft minerals, gum, and several other things, if you have left over material don't try to save it, it wont work, sry, carpet has yet to be tested, would not recomend