PDA

View Full Version : Can you lose Skill Points?

Kalim
2011-06-15, 04:29 PM
Hi Playground,

Title basically says it all. Can you lose skill points you've already obtained?

The prime example comes from a game I'm in at the moment. My Human character was turned into a Half Ogre by a cursed item. He lost -2 INT and is no longer Human.

Does he lose skill points from the INT lost? From no longer being Human?

Zherog
2011-06-15, 04:30 PM
No. At least, not in the situation you mention; maybe there's some obscure way for it to happen. But just like you don't retroactively gain skill points when your Int goes up, you also don't retroactively lose them when your Int drops.

Kalim
2011-06-15, 04:32 PM
No. At least, not in the situation you mention; maybe there's some obscure way for it to happen. But just like you don't retroactively gain skill points when your Int goes up, you also don't retroactively lose them when your Int drops.

Alright, thank you. What about from losing Human? Do I lose the human skill points and feat?

Toliudar
2011-06-15, 04:45 PM
Well, if you become a dragonborn, you do lose the human feat and skill points. So there is some precedent for this, yes.

ericgrau
2011-06-15, 04:46 PM
Don't have the source on hand but I'd think likewise no. It'd only affect your future skill points, so you'll be getting 2 less per level later.

EDIT: But don't you start out as dragonborn? It could also be a balance thing.

Kalim
2011-06-15, 04:54 PM
I'm already grumpy over getting stuck with a +2 LA I never wanted, plus I take a hit to INT (Factotum, this hurts) and CHA (Can no longer use Imperious Command since I don't qualify for it.)

I'll be much sorer about losing a feat and skill points, though. I don't -think- I can lose skill points I already have, but the feat might be gone until I jump through hoops to get turned back to normal.

Godskook
2011-06-15, 04:59 PM
EDIT: But don't you start out as dragonborn? It could also be a balance thing.

Dragonborn is applied ritually, not inherently. I could turn a level 9000 character into a dragonborn, and he'd lose 9003 skill points.

ericgrau
2011-06-15, 07:03 PM
It's probably specific to the ritual though, for balance reasons. Otherwise everyone would be a human pre-ritual. Doesn't that ritual cause you to lose some other things as well?

Divide by Zero
2011-06-15, 11:17 PM
It's probably specific to the ritual though, for balance reasons. Otherwise everyone would be a human pre-ritual. Doesn't that ritual cause you to lose some other things as well?

You lose all racial features except for ability modifiers, and I think one or two other specific exceptions.

Amnestic
2011-06-15, 11:28 PM
Dragonborn is applied ritually, not inherently. I could turn a level 9000 character into a dragonborn, and he'd lose 9003 skill points.

Obligoatory "over 9000!" callout reference.

Now that that's out of the way...

When you turn into a Dragonborn, you keep-
Type, Subtype and Race (and gain Dragonblooded subtype)
Any Racial Hit Dice
Ability Modifiers
Size
Speed and any modes of movement (e.g. Raptoran flight). You do not keep the Dwarf's ability to move better in heavier armour though.
Languages.
Level Adjustment.
Favoured Class.

Everything else is lost.