PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Feats

Morbis Meh
2011-06-15, 04:57 PM
Bonjour mes amis,

I need help finding some good solid defense feats for a fellow player in a campaign. The only one I know off of the top of my head that isn't that bad is combat expertise. The character is a warlock who is by no means optimized and does not want to be optimized so just stick to defensive feats please and thank you!

P.S. He currently has martial weapon prof and monkey grip as his feats (I am trying to talk him out of monkey grip but don't comment on previous feats just suggest new ones)

Dusk Eclipse
2011-06-15, 05:01 PM
A short guide to defensive fighting (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178445)

That thread is old, so I suggest you don't post on it and yeah try to find a way to change monkey-grip for another feat; I don't have the numbers with me; but someone proved mathematically that monkey grip reduces your damage output.

Oh and if your player is a warlock interested in melee fighting, I suggest you send him/her to this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159708)

Morbis Meh
2011-06-15, 05:14 PM
Oh and if your player is a warlock interested in melee fighting, I suggest you send him/her to this

I tried to convince him to become a glaivelock and he won't have it he thinks glaives are lame and would rather use a great axe..... like I mentioned he is FAR FAR away from being optimized. Thanks for the link!

Quietus
2011-06-15, 06:10 PM
I tried to convince him to become a glaivelock and he won't have it he thinks glaives are lame and would rather use a great axe..... like I mentioned he is FAR FAR away from being optimized. Thanks for the link!

"Well, then take Eldritch Axe! It does the same thing as Eldritch Glaive, but instead of a stupid glaive, you get a ten foot long axe made of Eldritch Blast!"

I know this might seem a little foolish, and not exactly what you're looking for, but it might get the player onboard. Style over substance, sure, but if you can get both, why not?

Lateral
2011-06-15, 07:14 PM
Or if that doesn't work, see what he thinks about clawing people's faces off with Eldritch Claws.

Zaq
2011-06-15, 07:18 PM
What manner of defense does he want to shore up? There's no feat like "Improved Defenses: You are now harder to kill." How does this person feel his defenses are lacking?

DiBastet
2011-06-16, 08:15 AM
"(...) harder to kill"

Diehard?

Darrin
2011-06-16, 09:08 AM
I need help finding some good solid defense feats for a fellow player in a campaign.

Law Devotion (Complete Champion): +3 sacred/profane bonus that you can swap between attack and AC. Scales up to +5, but only works for 10 rounds per day.

Expeditious Dodge (Races of the Wild): Move 40' in a round, get +2 dodge bonus to AC that applies to all enemies. Assuming he can get at least a 40' fly speed somewhere and just wants to stick to standard-action blasts, he can move + eldritch blast every round and get a +2 dodge bonus. Also counts as "Dodge" for the purposes of prereqs.

Shape Soulmeld: Wormtail Belt (Magic of Incarnum): +2 enhancement bonus to natural armor. If you can get your hands on some essentia, you can pump it up by +1/essentia.

Stone Power (Tome of Battle): Convert -1 attack penalty into 2 temp HP (maximum -5 penalty for 10 temp HP).

Planar Touchstone (Planar Handbook): Can be linked to a few sites that give an AC bonus as the base ability. For example:

Pilgrim's Rest: +1 untyped bonus to AC while on the material plane.
Valley of Thunder: +1 untyped bonus to AC.
Dusty Conclave (Sandstorm): Improve natural armor bonus by 1.