PDA

View Full Version : Metal Armour Prohibition

SlashRunner
2011-06-15, 05:51 PM
I was just wondering: why are Druids not allowed to wear metal armour, yet they are allowed to wear leather, padded leather, etc...?
Sure, metal armour is "unnatural", but isn't it worse for a nature-loving protector of plants and animals to wear the hide of a dead animal?

Lateral
2011-06-15, 05:53 PM
Because WotC never thought anything through in the PHB. :smallannoyed:

Hirax
2011-06-15, 05:54 PM
Like I said in another thread, they took tropes, regardless of how little sense they make, and turned them into rules.

IthroZada
2011-06-15, 05:57 PM
Druids are not vegetarian hippies. They believe in the natural order of things, and subscribe to it. With most species that become druids being omnivores, they hunt and eat other creatures, and even do them the honor of making sure no part of their body goes to waste.

They don't protect animals because they are our friends, they protect animals because the rampant slaughter of them with no balancing check would destroy the balance of the world.

Edit: This is basically the difference between Native Americans who hunted bison to survive, and the hunters who almost made them go extinct to sell a bit of fur or horn.

Thalnawr
2011-06-15, 06:01 PM
I was just wondering: why are Druids not allowed to wear metal armour, yet they are allowed to wear leather, padded leather, etc...?
Sure, metal armour is "unnatural", but isn't it worse for a nature-loving protector of plants and animals to wear the hide of a dead animal?
Druidic power comes from magnetism...

Jeraa
2011-06-15, 06:07 PM
Nature knows animals die naturally, or are killed by others for food. Not using all of the animals parts would be more against a druids beliefs. And making armor out of the skin of a creature you had already killed for food is more nature-friendly than mining the metal for armor. Especially since there will always be more animals. They are a renewable resource, unlike metal.

Because WotC never thought anything through in the PHB. :smallannoyed:

Except druids weren't allowed to wear metal armor in 2nd Edition. Probably couldn't in 1st edition either. So WotC didn't start it, they just continued the practice.

hivedragon
2011-06-15, 06:13 PM
oddly they are also proficient with scimitars

Bovine Colonel
2011-06-15, 06:24 PM
You ever try effectively using a bone sword in combat?

Vent Reynolt
2011-06-15, 06:25 PM
Now what if I want to play a druid that believes that the act of skinning an animal and then wearing it is dishonorable to the animal's spirit? Therefore, this druid will only use metal (or stone) equipment because it was never living, and therefore has no spirit to dishonor.

Jeraa
2011-06-15, 06:27 PM
One way to look at that, is that there will be some places where a bit of metal could be easily extracted and not disrupt nature. And since druids already have a source for armor, the bit of metal they are able to get goes into weapons.

Or Nature realizes that druids need to be able to protect themselves from others, and allows metal weapons.

Jeraa
2011-06-15, 06:30 PM
Now what if I want to play a druid that believes that the act of skinning an animal and then wearing it is dishonorable to the animal's spirit? Therefore, this druid will only use metal (or stone) equipment because it was never living, and therefore has no spirit to dishonor.

But you could also argue that you are dishonoring the spirit of the Earth by digging into it. And a lot of belief systems that say animals and plants have spirits, also say inanimate objects like the earth, a river, etc also have spirits.

ericgrau
2011-06-15, 06:59 PM
PH says it interferes with their link with nature. And there's the whole druid vow thing which is semi-related. They also can't carry excessive amounts of metal either. The only effect is they lose their powers for 24 hours, then they get them back again. It's not like they committed some mortal sin and need to atone.

All you need is dragonscale plate to get around it anyway, it's only 3,300 gp for full plate. EDIT: or 700 gp for breastplate, which druids are actually proficient in.

Belief systems like that never exist except in modern society, b/c ancient people would die with such beliefs. Oldy-time nature lovers are usually the opposite.

Amphetryon
2011-06-15, 07:19 PM
If memory serves, there is a Metal Druid in one of the Dragon Magazines. I think you had to be a Dwarf. O hai, Stoneblessed! :smallwink:

sreservoir
2011-06-15, 07:24 PM
But you could also argue that you are dishonoring the spirit of the Earth by digging into it. And a lot of belief systems that say animals and plants have spirits, also say inanimate objects like the earth, a river, etc also have spirits.

but you don't.

Greenish
2011-06-15, 07:25 PM
This is basically the difference between Native Americans who hunted bison to survive, and the hunters who almost made them go extinct to sell a bit of fur or horn.Or the difference between the native americans who drove all of North America's megafauna to extinction and, uh, the ones that didn't have megafauna to drive into extinction? :smalltongue:

oddly they are also proficient with scimitarsThere's no limit on their weapons, only on armour and shields.

They have to use a wooden shield, but it it happens to have steel shield spikes, oh well, it's okay.

[Edit]:
All you need is dragonscale plate to get around it anyway, it's only 3,000 gp for full plate.Or Darkleaf full plate. 4,650 gp for one, but it's medium armour so you're proficient.

IthroZada
2011-06-15, 07:51 PM
Or the difference between the native americans who drove all of North America's megafauna to extinction and, uh, the ones that didn't have megafauna to drive into extinction? :smalltongue:

Pft, I'm talking about romanticized Indians. It's insanely easy to look at the entire history of a people and realize they were selfish jerks. Romanticized Indians obviously fought tooth and nail against giants to save the mega fauna.

ryuteki
2011-06-15, 08:35 PM

And you're holding that metal armor on how? I don't think there is a single armor that doesn't use SOME cloth or leather in it (and don't throw out Chain, because properly worn chain goes over padding, and improperly-worn chain chafes and damages). :P

Greenish
2011-06-15, 08:39 PM
And you're holding that metal armor on how? I don't think there is a single armor that doesn't use SOME cloth or leather in itYou use your own hair.

ericgrau
2011-06-15, 08:46 PM
And for the padding? Even plate is still padded underneath IIRC.

Veyr
2011-06-15, 08:50 PM
Cotton and other fibrous plants could presumably do what's needed there.

Honest Tiefling
2011-06-15, 08:55 PM
Metal takes a lot of wood to make into anything decent. A lot of places used to be forest until the iron age, so druids might not want to chop down several trees to get a single scimitar.

If the animal was killed by the druid, then it was not good enough to survive. In Nature, only the swift, smart and strong survive. I doubt many druids are vegetarians, as it is difficult to be a vegetarian when your species evolved to be an omnivore. You would also not be able to feed most animal companions nuts and berries forever, and its probably better to feed the wolf a bunny rather then have it eat a child in town.

That, and most populations of critters will not be dented if a few are hunted. Many animals, including mammals, can reproduce quickly after decimation if food is plentiful.

Through I think the real reason is that someone thought it would look cool. I generally waive these restrictions if the druid can use magic to make armor, or if the metal item is already made. Well, the damage is already done, might as well use the result to kill anything that threatens nature.

Greenish
2011-06-15, 09:06 PM
In Nature, only the swift, smart and strong survive.Not really. The most successful organisms in the world are none of those, by the usual definitions.

Being smart is way too much effort for too little gain for most animals, let alone other organisms. Speed is hardly essential given how successful, say, the trees are. Strength also consumes resources that can often be used better for something else.

Thurbane
2011-06-15, 09:19 PM
The short answer - because that's how Druids have been since 1E. The 1E version was obviously drawing on certain (possibly inaccurate) historical and mythical views of druidic behaviour.

As a sidenote, the only other class I can think of that shares this restriction is the Healer.

Honest Tiefling
2011-06-15, 09:26 PM
Not really. The most successful organisms in the world are none of those, by the usual definitions.

-snip-

Okay, yes, you are correct. But the idea that anything the druid could easily hit over the head probably had some traits to select against, leaving the rest better for the loss.

DiBastet
2011-06-16, 07:42 AM
To the op: It comes from way past, when all the classes had some fluff that was part of the rules, and clerics were more like priests and could no use slashing weapons and such.

Back in those days, it was about the connection with nature and the progress of civilization: It's one thing the hunters who fashion leather armor, it's a whole another a society so evolved to be able to fashion chainmail or plate.

The following text is a great example of previous edition fluff about this:

"The one thing that druids most certainly do have in common is that they derive power and all of their amazing abilities from nature. Many think that druids control nature. This is not true. Rather than standing outside of nature’s energies seeking to dominate them, druids strive for harmony and unity with nature. Many think that this means druids have some supernatural gift, a heightened connection with nature. For all but the most powerful druids this is not true either. Most druids aren’t magically engrained into nature. Rather, they are simply more aware of the connections – which everyone shares – to the various ecosystems they find themselves in. This awareness of connectivity allows druids to feel energy coursing through their bodies and spirits. With increasing focus and awareness, druids become able to channel these flows and connections through the force of their well-trained will. During this process, nature’s force is channeled toward ritualistically established forms. Some of them are astounding and to most onlookers seem magical. When a druid morphs into a bear or wolf before your eyes for the first time, or when she makes grabbing vines grow miraculously from the earth to snatch up your feet, you will be amazed. Druids can focus weather and materialize thick tree-bark around almost any living thing. They can twist energy into a barrier against magic or suspend a creature in a similar swirling flow. As awareness and focus increases, druids also become more in tune with the fundamental elements which compose all things, living and inanimate. As such, and with great concentration, a druid can transform herself into a pure form of these elements and maintain her mind and spirit.

It is every druid’s duty and obligation to care for, protect, and nurture nature. Balance and neutrality are at the core of this protection.
It is a druid's duty and responsibility to protect nature from needless exploitation and willful damage. There is neutrality and balance that comes with this responsibility as the hierarchy of druids knows that nature is needed to gain sustenance and create living environments for humanity.
Druids are also expected to help teach others in the ways of nature and enable them to learn about the harms of inflicting harm on nature and destroying the balance.
Balance will supply the means to keep the balance. Always strive for balance in nature.

In order to accomplish these objectives effectively and efficiently, a part of every druids training is to learn how to be in touch with all of nature and how to hone that connection. A part of this training involves learning how to enter a spiritual relationship with all aspects of nature. It is during this training that druids quickly learn that anything that is unnatural on their body harms their connection to nature. It is due to this connection that druids have their power and wisdom and thusly the hierarchy has placed the following rules so that at any time a druid may be contacted via nature or the birds and the Bird Lord.

-A druid may only wear natural clothing, to include wood, leather, fur, silk, feathers, gems and jewelry, or other animal parts. They are not to wear refined material such as metal as that harms the connection with nature.
-Druids may only use natural material for shields.
-Druids may use any ranged weapon that is not refined or that does not use objects that may harm the connection with nature.
-Druids may use any natural weapon that comes from nature and is not processed. Examples include staves, clubs, branches, whips that are not made of metal, sickles since their blades are sharpened stone. They may not use weapons that are not natural or that have been processed or refined except for the following allowance.
-In part of keeping the balance of nature the hierarchy realizes that a druid may need to fight creatures that are resistant to their normal blunt style weapons. As such the hierarchy has determined that the use of a scimitar should be allowed for the protection of a druid. This is the only processed and refined weapon that is allowed to be used by a druid."

You see? It's about processed and refined.

In 3e druids couldn't use other weapons too. In 3.5 wizards of the coast left that behind but the metal armor part remained, maybe a last grasp of the old fluff.

Hope this helps.

Telonius
2011-06-16, 08:09 AM

Druids are awesome enough as it is. Giving them this (http://www.moviereviewblog.net/wp-images/the-golden-compass-armored-polar-bear.jpg)would just be excessive.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-06-16, 09:22 AM
Druids are awesome enough as it is. Giving them this (http://www.moviereviewblog.net/wp-images/the-golden-compass-armored-polar-bear.jpg)would just be excessive.

Unless I'm mistaken, nothing prevents your animal companion from wearing metal. :smalltongue:

Killer Angel
2011-06-16, 09:35 AM

Well, with a sufficient amount of Warp Wood and Ironwood... :smallbiggrin:

Person_Man
2011-06-16, 09:35 AM
It was a direct holdover from 2nd edition D&D. This is true of many rules in 3.X which don't make much sense.

FMArthur
2011-06-16, 09:36 AM
Wasn't there a god you could worship to be able to wear metal as a Druid?

edit: Of course. It had to be Mielikki from Forgotten Realms.

sreservoir
2011-06-23, 06:47 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, nothing prevents your animal companion from wearing metal. :smalltongue:

I think wild shape was the idea, not the companion.

Talvereaux
2011-06-23, 07:04 PM
I personally don't think druids would be averse to metal because it's "not natural". Everything comes from something natural, no matter how refined, so "natural" a bit of a meaningless distinction.

Pollutants, on the other hand, make the crafting of metal a lot more harmful to the environment than other forms of armor would be. Mining causes soil erosion and water pollution, and smelting contaminates air with metal pollutants. I figure those repercussions are at least part of why druids don't use metal.

Volthawk
2011-06-23, 07:08 PM

That's actually an official 3.5 creature, y'know. They're in Frostburn, called Urskan.

sreservoir
2011-06-23, 07:21 PM
That's actually an official 3.5 creature, y'know. They're in Frostburn, called Urskan.

magical beasts, though.