PDA

View Full Version : secret rolls

hivedragon
2011-06-15, 06:14 PM
Are there any skill checks that you as a DM roll for the player in secret?

King Atticus
2011-06-15, 06:17 PM
My DM rolls spots and listens in secret. Especially if he's got baddies in the vicinity. Not always but often enough that we aren't sure if they mean anything or not. :smallsmile:

Herabec
2011-06-15, 07:01 PM
I roll spot, listen and search checks myself..that way, the group doesn't know whether they didn't hear/see anything due to nothing being there... Or because they happened to roll low.

Pika...
2011-06-15, 07:04 PM
I roll spot, listen and search checks myself..that way, the group doesn't know whether they didn't hear/see anything due to nothing being there... Or because they happened to roll low.

Same, but I also add Hide and Move Silently. You'd be surprised how much braver a rogue is when he sees his Move Silently rolled an 18, and his Hide a 17. LoL

I also sometimes do saves. Nothing gets the party suspicious like saying "Give me a Will Save".

Herabec
2011-06-15, 07:18 PM
Same, but I also add Hide and Move Silently. You'd be surprised how much braver a rogue is when he sees his Move Silently rolled an 18, and his Hide a 17. LoL

I also sometimes do saves. Nothing gets the party suspicious like saying "Give me a Will Save".

Hah, I don't have to deal with the move silently and hide rolls much, since the group has no rogue... (muahaha, I love traps now! XD)

But I do secretive will saves myself as well, if it's nothing that would alert the group that something's afoul.

...and them currently being in Ravenloft, that tends to happen a lot.

Jeraa
2011-06-15, 07:20 PM
I roll any check that the party either doesn't know about, or shouldn't know what they got on the check. Like Bluff (to tell a lie), Decipher Script, Disable Device, Disguise, Forgery, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Search, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand (sometimes), and Spot. Mostly to prevent any chance of metagaming.

With Spot, Listen, and Search, if you rolled high and found nothing, you can reasonably assume there was nothing there. One the other hand, if you roll low, and the DM says nothing is there, you know that there very well could be and could change how you would act. Same with Disable Device. Just because you think you could have disabled something, doesn't mean you actually did. You may think you are hidden and moving silently, but you may not be at all.

And any saving throws that should kept secret as well. Sure, you know your stomach is upset, but is that just because you have a bad gas attack, or because you failed the save against that poison that was placed in your drink?

myancey
2011-06-17, 04:40 PM

That's a really good point. I'm going to implement a few of these ideas.