PDA

View Full Version : extreme undead minion modifications

Darth Stabber
2011-06-15, 08:26 PM
So I have a PC Tibbit Dread Necromancer who is very interested in modifying her minions for increased utility. Like for example: she has just aquired a Huge spider-like demon as a skeleton (I figured that an exoskeleton should count as a skeletal system), and now she wants turn the thing into a tank (use the hollow inside as a cabin, and put a view window in front, and a hatch on top). I am not against her doing this, but for it to be reasonable, I need to have some game mechanic do adjudicate it. I let her build an armored cage around her skeletal wolf's rib cage to hide in while in cat form, but this is a bit more involved than that. One of her partymates is an accomplished taxidermist (with the trophy collecter feat), and could assist her in the modifications. She is currently 8th lvl, and will likely take corpsecrafter next level. I have done a bit of thinking about it, and to keep the from dying during the modification process she has the unlimited negative energy touch ability (charnel touch) that can keep the thing stocked up. What penalties and bonuses should it get for having armor plating and an internal cabin embedded within. Since it is a skeleton and all motive force comes from its connection to the negative energy plane, not biological processes, it seems logical to me that it should be possible. These proposed modifications are not likely to take place for a session or two (they are still resolving a dungeon crawl), but when they get back to town, they will have some time, and access to experts with know(architecture and engineering), and obviously she already has know(religion) to cover how things affect undead. How should this be handled?

WinWin
2011-06-16, 12:29 AM
Barding. Use Plate or Scale as appropriate. This will likely slow the creature down and may impose non-proficiency penalties (not sure about this though, as I can't recall anyone applying these penalties, other than to speed, to a mount).

Specialized exotic saddle (internal) is all well and good and can be adjudicated fairly easily.

As for benefits like cover and the like, this may take some extra work. If the tibbit has massive cover from every diraction, then that will also impose restrictions on line of sight/effect. If the tibbit has good visibility, then the benefits of the cover should be lessened. Your call here.

Finally, consider what happens when something destroys the undead mount. The tibbit is now trapped inside. Potentially within a secure box within a pile of bones.

Coidzor
2011-06-16, 01:09 AM
I'm not sure, but this is a topic that seems to be pretty relevant to my interests...

Actually been thinking about codifying some homebrew on the subject to make a little demi-sub system skeleton that's... similar to what you've described of this situation, though slightly less... architectural.

Darth Stabber
2011-06-16, 11:24 AM
I was assuming engineering + undead knowledge would yield some sort of advantage in mitigating any harm to the structural integrity of the skeleton in question, though knowledge (the planes) might be more appropriate since the undead was originally an outsider, or maybe some heal ranks.

Also craft(armor-smithy) might be advantageous.

Now to find some way to build a giant cannon...

I will not give my players more ideas. I will not give my players more ideas. I will not give my players more ideas. I will not give my players more ideas. I will not give my players more ideas.