PDA

View Full Version : Saving a Blind character

Major
2011-06-15, 10:01 PM
So...I made a rather dumb choice in trying to slide something into a game. I got the DM to let me play an Unseelie fey on top of a homebrewed Half-Nymph. So we proceeded to roll my bonuses.

I got lucky, dragon wings. Cool. Then we rolled sight and I lost my eyes and got tremorsense 30ft.

How do I save a character that is blind other than 30ft tremorsense?

I'm playing a Battle Dancer and just because I don't expect to live long anyways I took Vow of Poverty because if I'm blind, AC bonuses are needed.

As such I'm AC 24 which is useful, but anything out of 30ft or not touching the ground screws me over.

Is there a way to gain sight somehow, preferably as soon as possible...

Winds
2011-06-15, 10:27 PM
It would help to know your level and/or resources. There are PrCs with bonus sight skills, but that doesn't seem to fit your needs.

Robe of Eyes comes to mind-it's made using True Seeing, and has normal sight plus true sight and sees the invisible/ethereal. Also, you can't be flanked and you have bonuses to Spot and Search. Market value: 120,000, created with Craft Wondrous Item, True Seeing

If that's too expensive, you could work with the DM to find a simpler, cheaper alternative-say, a headband that imbues normal sight based off of Craft Wondrous and Arcane Eye, which would be much cheaper.

Major
2011-06-15, 11:10 PM
Sadly level one. We started the game, rolled up characters, and I decided to be sneaky and got him to approve Unseelie fey. The dice punished me for my shenenigans and I have no sight and just tremor sense at level 1.

In an attempt to last a wee bit longer I got him to let me take Sacred Vow and Vow of Poverty despite being evil for the extra +4 to AC to let me be harder to hit.

As such, I'm curious the quickest ways to be able to see or a way to bypass the downsides that having ONLY tremor sense 30ft gives.

Major
2011-06-16, 12:34 AM
Basically the big question is "Is there any way to save a blind character without the use of magic items"

Things like feats, etc to fight blind.

Zaq
2011-06-16, 12:41 AM
Well, there's teeny-tiny Blindsight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#blindsight5FtRadius) you can get for a feat, but if you already have Tremorsense, that doesn't do you much good.

Soulsight (Magic of Incarnum) would kind of work, but not really.

Synesthete (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/synesthete.htm) would be pretty perfect. You could take Hidden Talent and get it twice a day, if nothing else.

GallóglachMaxim
2011-06-16, 12:42 AM
There's more homebrewing that you could try to get the DM to accept (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19906846/The_Blind_PCs_Association?post_id=339216838#339216 838 for instance). Maybe drop the VoP in favour of a system like that?

Major
2011-06-16, 01:05 AM
Blind-sight is only 5-feet sadly. It would be nice with 30ft because then at least fly wouldn't doom me. However, wisdom is my dump stat. I'll post my sheet at the end of this post.

Taking a dip for the synesthete would be ok I guess. But I'd be limited to 10 minutes per level. Not a horrible option. That or hidden talent. I'll make a note of that.

Soulsight doesn't work. Wisdom dump and too limited. Hidden Talent is better, but not perfect.

Thanks a lot for the blind one. DM allowed it. That's very useful and I'll read it.

Hand_of_Vecna
2011-06-16, 01:26 AM
What do you intend to play class-wise?

I'm tempted to say hope for the best. Anything but flying enemies and ambushes by archers shouldn't be a real problem. Why are you particularly worried about AC? I don't think the penalty for blindness applies if you can see via tremor sense.

If your extremely worried about archers tower shield and/or spells that cause miss chance could be your friend.

Seffbasilisk
2011-06-16, 04:14 AM
Well...I'd stay grounded at the start. Probably afraid to use your wings without being able to see.

VoP completely cuts off items.

DM probably won't just let you use a Wish to get sight, and at level one, that's out of reach anyway.

Aerial sight...I'd go Tome Of Battle. Max out listen, find a class there that works for you, and look for the stance...I think it's called 'Hearing The Air'.

Or you could go Warlock, and wait for Voidsense.

Scout gets some tiny blindsight in a bit.

Druids can take a feat that lets them burn Wild Shape uses for Blindsense for a few minutes...

From Battle Dancer? I'd totally go Scout.

Xyk
2011-06-16, 04:33 AM
I'm imagining a blind character with wings and tremorsense. This character can see only when firmly on the ground. If you try to fly, you'll be totally blind!

Hear the Unseen is pretty okay if I remember correctly (CAd).

mykelyk
2011-06-16, 04:45 AM
I'm playing a Battle Dancer and just because I don't expect to live long anyways I took Vow of Poverty because if I'm blind, AC bonuses are needed.

Drop this if you can, blindfold of true darkness will solve you problem when you have the money.

ShriekingDrake
2011-06-16, 08:05 AM
You need to find a way to get permanent Touchsight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/touchsight.htm).

only1doug
2011-06-16, 08:43 AM
So...I made a rather dumb choice in trying to slide something into a game. I got the DM to let me play an Unseelie fey on top of a homebrewed Half-Nymph. So we proceeded to roll my bonuses.

I got lucky, dragon wings. Cool. Then we rolled sight and I lost my eyes and got tremorsense 30ft.

How do I save a character that is blind other than 30ft tremorsense?

As such I'm AC 24 which is useful, but anything out of 30ft or not touching the ground screws me over.

Is there a way to gain sight somehow, preferably as soon as possible...

How set are you on Battle Dancer?

1 level dip into warlock will grant you least invocations and See the Unseen: Blindsight and darkvision rolled into one.

3 levels of my Homebrewed class Fey Champion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10811892) would also give you access to see the unseen invocation Fey Power.

Major
2011-06-16, 03:19 PM
What do you intend to play class-wise?

I'm tempted to say hope for the best. Anything but flying enemies and ambushes by archers shouldn't be a real problem. Why are you particularly worried about AC? I don't think the penalty for blindness applies if you can see via tremor sense.

If your extremely worried about archers tower shield and/or spells that cause miss chance could be your friend.

Battle Dancer due to my crazy high cha and because it fit fluff-wise. Plus its a cha-based class I've not played yet.

I'm imagining a blind character with wings and tremorsense. This character can see only when firmly on the ground. If you try to fly, you'll be totally blind!

Hear the Unseen is pretty okay if I remember correctly (CAd).

Gotta look up hear the unseen, but yeah the DM made that joke. "Oh nice wings...shame you got tremor sense"

After looking it up it seems useful, though my DM is allowed the "Blind character starting package" that was linked earlier. It couldn't hurt to remember it anyways since I'll probably need blind-fight to make up for the 50% miss.

Well...I'd stay grounded at the start. Probably afraid to use your wings without being able to see.

VoP completely cuts off items.

DM probably won't just let you use a Wish to get sight, and at level one, that's out of reach anyway.

Aerial sight...I'd go Tome Of Battle. Max out listen, find a class there that works for you, and look for the stance...I think it's called 'Hearing The Air'.

Or you could go Warlock, and wait for Voidsense.

Scout gets some tiny blindsight in a bit.

Druids can take a feat that lets them burn Wild Shape uses for Blindsense for a few minutes...

From Battle Dancer? I'd totally go Scout.

Gotta look up voidsense and scout the aerial one, druids I don't want to be. VoP I ended up getting rid of due to him allowing the homebrew "Starting Blind character package". Honestly, he said we'll be able to get magical grafts that he has made at later levels, but honestly its kinda sticking to me being blind thanks to the homebrew. But I will look at the others.

Drop this if you can, blindfold of true darkness will solve you problem when you have the money.

Dropped it, gotta look up the blindfold, remind me the book.

You need to find a way to get permanent Touchsight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/touchsight.htm).

Seems a pain to get, but we'll see.

How set are you on Battle Dancer?

1 level dip into warlock will grant you least invocations and See the Unseen: Blindsight and darkvision rolled into one.

3 levels of my Homebrewed class Fey Champion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10811892) would also give you access to see the unseen invocation Fey Power.

Not fully set, but since I starting with +7 cha it'd be cool. I'll look up the Fey Champion because I am a fey character.

--------------
Since I forgot to post it...

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=306154

Homebrews
=Half-nymph race
I forget exact stats, but the main point was -2 str, -2 con, +2 cha, some key weaknesses and the ability. I think I got +2 dex to weaken my beauty ability also, but I forget.

Between magic-blooded and half-nymph and unseelie fey I ended up with +8 cha, sadly it was roll not point buy and I rolled horribly. However its a low op campaign and pretty laid back so the DM let us do a lot.

He allowed two homebrew flaws from another site but we had to clear through him. I got directionless and disorganized but it doesn't hurt me TOO bad since I'm not the survival character and being unarmed based means I'm not gonna draw stuff often.

mykelyk
2011-06-16, 05:36 PM
Dropped it, gotta look up the blindfold, remind me the book.

Magic Item Compendium p 75.
A bit expensive, but for 9000 you gain blind sight 30ft (as a side effect you lose your normal vision :smallbiggrin:).

Big Fau
2011-06-16, 05:48 PM
Magic Item Compendium p 75.
A bit expensive, but for 9000 you gain blind sight 30ft (as a side effect you lose your normal vision :smallbiggrin:).

That blindfold actually doesn't interfere with vision.

Major
2011-06-16, 06:02 PM
I'll be great at anything within 30ft :P

Ernir
2011-06-16, 06:26 PM
You'll want a Dragonfire Adept (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060912a&page=2), I think. Tremorsense should more or less do the trick until you get Voidsense.

Why a DFA and not a Warlock or something? Because a DFA doesn't care about attack rolls or miss chances. Know someone's square, and spray your breath weapon.

Squiggles
2011-06-16, 08:57 PM
You could always dip into Mindbender or gain Telepathy another way and get Mindsight (LoM 126) since that allows you to pinpoint which square it's in